R8247 Specs

michael.hamilton

I'm thinking of ordering an R8247 accessory decoder to control some lights and buzzers to indicate various track conditions. If I program the decoder to supply continuous output, what exactly would that output be in terms of voltage, AC/DC and current?

I downloaded the brochure but didn't see the relevant specs. Thanks in advance for your help.

In this thread https://www.hornby.com/forums/hornby-forums/hornby-digital/427/?page=1#post3954 (15:49 14 July 2011) Hornby Customer Care states "The R8247 Point and Accessory Controller (PAD) can in total sink/source approximately 240mA. This is shared;

this could be all ports turned continually on drawing a total of 240mA, or a single port turned on drawing approximately 240mA. In order to control larger currents it is possible to use relays in conjunction with the PAD."

I would expect the voltage

to be 1.5 - 2 volts less than the rail voltage due to the losses caused by the components in the R8247.

Don't have access to do this myself at the moment. So what I did was try a search in the NMRA standards, but didn't get anywhere there. So then I looked at the spec for the DCC Concepts continuous output decoder and the answer is 9.5V out with NMRA track

voltage in. Given that the output will be NMRA specified, they should all be this voltage.

Interesting poliss, and maybe there isn't anything specified by NMRA, or maybe specified broadly.

When you think about it, the simplest voltage to produce is going to be what comes out of the bridge rectifier from the supplied volts, less losses

through the circuit, which avoids any further voltage conversion or regulation. And that is going to be something like the RMS value of the input volts, not that RMS has the conventional meaning if the input comes from the square wave on the track.

• 1 month later...

I can now report that the continuous output of the R8247 is 13.5 volts DC.

My next question is whether I can program it so that the outputs operate at non-consecutive addresses.

I would like output 1 to operate at address 61 (so that a warning buzzer sounds when I have point 61 in a particular direction), output 2 to operate at address 69 (so that when the fire effect in my tunnel is on a fire alarm will go off) etc.

If the addresses have to be consecutive I'm sure I'll work something out.

Archived