Select controller with Elink

Yelrow

Hi, just been reading a post on another forum, where the guy was using a select controller with elink. I know that some of you use an elite with elink, one for the trains, and the other for the points etc. Presume, if one wanted to do the same with the select, it would work. If not, could i use a select with railmaster. john

Roger B, hi thanks, read your post, which says select will not hook up with Railmaster, and that you now have a full set, eg select, elite, and Elink    , Hornby will be proud of you.   My understanding on the other forum, was the guy was using the select to run his trains, with RM,/ elink for points, which is what others do on here with elite. I have never found an elite cheap enough, but this select was brand new for £41, so decided to risk. Can recover by putting it on ebay if no use. I belive it is the same as the walkabout one, so if i ever found a cheap elite, might find another use.  More and more new hornby stuff is coming up in france, hence my Mallard on another post. Either people are giving up , or  moving on, john                                                       

Yes you can use eLink (with Railmaster) and Select together, although there is no connection between them.

You have to have them wired seperately, e.g. eLink controlling points/signals and Select controlling track/locos.

You can't connect eLink and Select to the same pice of track, or indeed any two DCC controllers to the same track.

Select is fine for controlling locos, but it has limitations noted elsewhere, mainly in the are of loco addressing (only short addresses up to 60), limited control of functions (only F0-F8), and limited programming ability (only a few CVs like direction, accelleration, decelleration and no separate programming track output so you have to switch it yourself).

As others have noted John, yes you can do it with separate connections, not to the same track. 

But my question would be why would you want to?  Select is drastically limited compared to RM and you can't run RM through the Select. 

Yes, you will get more power as you can use your 4 Amp with Select then 1 Amp through eLink. But unless you have a very large DCC layout, which I don't believe you do, or want to run many locos at once, you are better off just using eLink and avoiding the Select limitations. 

Hi, guys, thanks, FISHY, you are aware of elink connections being tempermental, and whilst mine are about 70%, its always when someone comes to see your layout, that the 30% shows, both me, and it up. My limited understanding was it would be in effect, belt and braces, covering my embarrasement, while allowing trains to run. It also occurred to me, that whilst i was busy wiring up my 14 points, i could run trains as light relief. The final point being that for £41, it was a chance to look at one. Can sell it on...IDLEMARVEL, thank you, this confirms what i saw on other forum, i do like the experts on here to confirm. May be next week i might find an elite in france for £80. john

John, I agree with Fishy and I cannot see any reason to add a Select.  I think your £41 would have been better being put towards an Elite.  By the time you have bought a 4A supply, you would have been half way towards the Elite.  I have never (touch wood!) had any connection problems with my Elite/RailMaster combination.  I started off with a Select and I have bought the special cable (R8266) to experiment with the Select as a Walkabout.  I still have my Select but at the moment, I have lent it to a friend who is in the process of moving over to DCC.

RDS< hi, thanks, i would be able to sell select, brand new for a profit, and have a 4 amp supply, which i have for the elink The problem, initally was that the Majestic set, which was a very goor price, came with elink, and on hindsight, perhaps i could have researched more. However, i can experiment, and the way to go, may be the elite route. time will tell. john

Archived