Wiring my first layout

AndyHead78

Hi All,

I have used AnyRail to design my first layout. It is fairly large (this may be an understatement!) but has been done in several sections so I can expand as time and money allow. I have decided to go with DCC from the outset but to be honest I am feeling slightly daunted by how to go about wiring the layout, and whether the layout will actually work. Is there any way of getting layout plans checked for practicality, or tips on where wiring should go?

Many thanks,

An excited but nervous newbie!

For general advice on DCC I recommend you start with Brian Lambert's excellent site:

http://www.brian-lambert.co.uk/DCC.html

If you've never used DCC before then I wouldn't start by building a huge layout.  DCC makes wiring easy compared to analog but there are better ways of doing things which you learn by reading but better by trying.  Set up a simple oval track and get a locorunning under DCC and figure out how to change the address and other basic settings. 

If you want a layout plan checked for practicality, this isn't the best forum for that as you can't include pictures.  If you don't already use rmweb go there and post your layout design on a new thread and you will get many useful comments I'm sure.

I should have started by saying welcome to the hobby.  I'm sure you will find it entertaining and engaging.

I see someone else gave you the same advice.  By all means read as much as you can but don't forget to get that oval track layed and play with some trains.  That's what it's all about, really! :-)

Seen your word doc on rmweb.  (I see you also have trouble including images!)

Let us know whether you prefer the feedback here or in rmweb.

As you say quite ambitious for a starter layout!  I would start with one of the ovals, maybe the left hand one (less points).

You have some reverse loops and a turntable in the full layout, these require some thought in DCC, see the Brian Lambert site already mentioned, so don't start with those in your first phase. 

Thanks for the reply idlemarvel.

I'm going to be checking both these forums and the RM web forum so I'd be happy to receive feedback on either.

I planned on starting with a small section of the layout, but figured I should have an overall grand plan to aspire to. I thought ths would make things easier in the long-term instead of having a small layout and trying to adapt that at a later date.

To be honest, I'm still reading up on a lot and I don't fully understand all of the terminology yet. I'm not quite sure what a reverse loop is exactly. Are these sections of track tricky to wire up or difficult to use with DCC?

A reverse loop is where you have, for example, an oval with a track running across the middle from one side to the other, such that when a train has passed over this section of track it then runs in the opposite direction on the loop.

Hornby produce an item called a Reverse Loop Module (RLM) that needs to be connected into your layout to make this work on DCC.

I had an inkling about the reverse loop. Pretty self-explanatory really!

Are there any other specific pieces of track I will need to set up the layout? For example I know I'll need a power track.

Would the uncoupler be useful? I've seen videos of these but was wondering how easy these are to use on longer wagon trains.

You need a power connector piece of track (at least one) to connect your DCC controller (Elite, Select or eLink) to the track.  Make sure you get the digital version R8241 as there is a very similar looking non-digital version.

Uncouplers are useful if you are running good trains or loco pulled passenger trains and want to uncouple the loco to run around to the other end, or to do some shunting of goods wagons.  I have found the one operated by a motor to be the best (the remote uncoupler R8244) but the simple one R617 is okay.

If you haven't bought any kit yet you might want to think about getting a simple DCC starter set.  If you want computer control and have decided on eLink (my personal recommendation) then the Western Master (R1173) is good value, contains set track oval with siding, elink, railmaster plus DCC fitted loco and some goods wagons for less than £120.  It will come with the power connecter mentioned above, and even if you don't want the 0-6-0 tank engine everything else will be reusable in your layout and you can sell the loco on ebay.

Archived