Three Way Point

I have read the manual and understand that although you need two point motors to operate the point, certain movements of either point motor changes the position of both parts of the point. The manual says Railmaster understands this set up. However if you "play" with the example already set up in Railmaster the matrix diagram treats it as two separate points. How does Railmaster know that it is a three way point when there is no way to tell it in the point type?

I hope all that makes sense!

As I see it a 3-way is 2-normal points placed very close together, but interlinked as below.

I would think RM uses this logic.

You approach from the narrow end and have a choice of (depending on the point layout) straight or branch L (or branch R). Point motor #1 takes care of this, then if on the straight route you have the same choice again, except opposite to the first fork (i.e straight on or branch R). This is taken care of by point motor #2.

Smart thinking would say if you want the 1st branch route you use motor #1, but if you want straight on or branch route 2 you would have motor #1 set to straight with motor #2 interlinked and set to straight or branch as req'd.

Thank goodness I only have regular 2-way points, much less single/double slips...

Rob 

I think you'll find Greg that RM doesnt care if its a 3way Double slip or Single slip - they are all just single operation points. Agreed schematically the representation is odd but your brain soon gets round it. R-

Archived