P2 COCK O THE NORTH TTS SOUND

Yelrow

Having read some comments about this loco (especially the quality of the motor and the fixed rear bogie) I had some concerns. Having received it, what a bargain! OK so it's only 2 sounds at a time and detail is a bit limited. But at the price I paid, value for money indeed!  (please don't read this and increase the price Hornby!)

My only niggle is it does struggle around my 2nd radius curves (Tries to go straight on, especially when pulling 7 or more coaches) and wont negotiate curved points at all. But hey, that's all the excuse I need to build a bigger and better layout! I also have to find a way to lay ballast that doesn't  make the noise levels too high, as some of the sounds can't be heard when I have 2 or more trains running.

(Is there any way of increasing the volume of individual sounds?)

TTS sounds can be raised in volume either collectively or individually - read the book as its all in there.

Noisy ballast - the usual PVA glue sets like concrete and transmits sound just as well. You need loose ballast like the realthing but it tends to fall off the board when you tip it up for storage. Various foam underlays are available but experience says they rot out over time, so the jury is out on the ideal ballast system.

Having read some comments about this loco (especially the quality of the motor and the fixed rear bogie) I had some concerns. Having received it, what a bargain! OK so it's only 2 sounds at a time and detail is a bit limited. But at the price I paid, value for money indeed!  (please don't read this and increase the price Hornby!)

My only niggle is it does struggle around my 2nd radius curves (Tries to go straight on, especially when pulling 7 or more coaches) and wont negotiate curved points at all. But hey, that's all the excuse I need to build a bigger and better layout! I also have to find a way to lay ballast that doesn't  make the noise levels too high, as some of the sounds can't be heard when I have 2 or more trains running.

TTS sounds can be raised in volume either collectively or individually - read the book as its all in there.

Noisy ballast - the usual PVA glue sets like concrete and transmits sound just as well. You need loose ballast like the realthing but it tends to fall off the board when you tip it up for storage. Various foam underlays are available but experience says they rot out over time, so the jury is out on the ideal ballast system.

What book? Maybe I'm missing something, no book came with the loco.

I think you'd be very lucky for a 2-8-2 to negotiate 2nd Rad. 

I think the book is the leaflet that comes with it covering all the sounds and possible CV adjustments that go with them.

Yes it is more of a leaflet but it is offically entitled - LNER 2-8-2 'Cock O' The North'P2 Class sound decoder manual, hence 'the book'.

I think you'd be very lucky for a 2-8-2 to negotiate 2nd Rad. 

That raises some interesting questions. 1. Should this be made clear BEFORE you buy the locomotive? 2. What is the point of a manufacturer making locos that wont run on their own track geometry?

It might be worth Hornby's (and other mfr's) consideration to print on the box what the minimum radius is that the loco can negociate.

Better still in the advertising info / summary. By the time I have the box in my hand as, given I always buy on line, it's too late.

That raises some interesting questions. 1. Should this be made clear BEFORE you buy the locomotive? 2. What is the point of a manufacturer making locos that wont run on their own track geometry?

That is a good point but Hornby make track for all eventualities. Are you saying they should stop making 1st and 2nd rad that is suitable for small locos because they now make large locos. This would mean the end of small layouts for beginners or those with limited space.

If you want all types of locos to run on tight curves then all producers will have to stick to small locos. 

The info regarding suitability for different rads is available on this site but I agree that putting it on the box would be ideal.

WTD: Where on this site? Do I find by just searching, or is there a specific area?

Agree would not want to limit to small radius locos, but some info before you buy would be useful. Bachmann indicate ERA, decoder socket size, but not minimum radius that the loco is suitable for. This would be an excellent addition as it's so dissapointing to spend 140 quid on a sound loco, only to find I can't run it :(

My point is though that unless you buy from a model shop, by the time you see the box it's a bit late. Better for the information to be on the decsription on the Hornby and shop websites. Given this loco was like rocking horse droppings to find, I ended up buying from Hornby website directly. No comment on the price ;) I know you can return under distance selling legislation, but who could send such a lovely thing back once you have it?

Archived