pendolino dummy power car wont run with the 4 car rake,

johnmh

not sure why, i managed to alter my power car to id 017

with my e-link controller, but when i add the dummy power car it wont run, ive tried to prog them together on the prog track at the same time, wont work, tried individually still nothing?? any ideas??

Is he saying the train won't run with the dummy car attached RDS?

Does it have a decoder in the dummy for the lights?

I'm not sure WTD, that is why I asked what he is expecting. I have an old Intercity 125 train that has lights at both ends that would work OK with DC (music to your ears?) but needed an extra decoder in the dummy car with DCC.

Is that so you can switch the lights on and off.

I wanted to be able to switch them on and off and also I changed the White lights at both ends for bi-colour White/Red LED's that changed colour according to direction.

WTD - with a dc loco/dmu (or whatever) as the polarity of the track changes, to alter the direction of travel, the lights will automatically change, because of the diodes blocking the reverse volts.

Because DCC puts a constant AC voltage on the track, both sets of lights would flash rapidly at the AC frequency, unless you put a suitable chip in there. (But then you already knew that!)

Flash rapidly is an understatement. If you have trouble seeing the globe in your lounge room light "flashing rapidly" at 50Hz, you have no chance with the LEDs in your DC train flashing at over 10kHz on DCC. They will just be on all the time on DCC without a decoder.

In case you are just talking about the lights not working in the dummy car as you were unable to change the address, the problem is no motor load on the decoder. Swap the dummy car decoder into the power car and you will have no problem programming it and you can put the already programmed one into the dummy car.

WTD - with a dc loco/dmu (or whatever) as the polarity of the track changes, to alter the direction of travel, the lights will automatically change, because of the diodes blocking the reverse volts.

Because DCC puts a constant AC voltage on the track, both sets of lights would flash rapidly at the AC frequency, unless you put a suitable chip in there. (But then you already knew that!)

I did already know that DCC uses a form of AC and that you'd need bionic eyes to notice the lights flashing 2e0 but thanks for the reply.

not sure why, i managed to alter my power car to id 017

with my e-link controller, but when i add the dummy power car it wont run, ive tried to prog them together on the prog track at the same time, wont work, tried individually still nothing?? any ideas??

Page 26 of the Elite v1.41 manual talks to programming dummy cars.

Archived