Point icons

RB51

You can always take a picture of the screen with a digital camera, upload it to your PC and then to the forum.

Shame there's such a delay in approving pictures. I uploaded another one today, but it hasn't appeared yet. Trouble is, by the time it does show, the thread could have moved on to comments not so relevant.

You can always take a picture of the screen with a digital camera, upload it to your PC and then to the forum.

Well you can but it should not be necessary. Usually you can browse to your picture easily enough and select that for uploading. However, If you take a screen shot of an RM page it gets saved with a ".prn" extension which, it seems is not allowed as an uploadable file type on this forum. I can't figure out how to change the extnesion to say "JPEG". R-

Shame there's such a delay in approving pictures. I uploaded another one today, but it hasn't appeared yet. Trouble is, by the time it does show, the thread could have moved on to comments not so relevant.

Completly agree with you here. Almost pointless if it gets loaded more than a few seconds after you post it up. R-

I use Screen Hunter software, it is FREE.

I hope the above helps you

PJ

Thanks for this PJ - yes it does definately do the job. I had to do a bit of finurkling to get both RM and Screenhunter to be visible on the screen at the same time, but got there in the end. Well, I think I did, we'll have to wait and see what the outcome is when the picture is approved. Couldn't get the hotkey to work, but I can live without that. Thanks again for the tip. R-

I can't see why a picture upload can't be instant if it meets certain parameters such as size and file type. This can be vetted by the software. If there is a worry about unsuitable pictures then there is vetting software that looks for skin tones.

Most other forums and user interactive sites such as free ads allow it. Out here in Cyprus Estate Agents will let you upload your own pictures and blurb saving them the effort of doing it.

Well you can but it should not be necessary. Usually you can browse to your picture easily enough and select that for uploading. However, If you take a screen shot of an RM page it gets saved with a ".prn" extension which, it seems is not allowed as an uploadable file type on this forum. I can't figure out how to change the extnesion to say "JPEG". R-

Hi Roger,

Using the method I described (Ctrl + PrtScr, then paste into Microsoft Paint), when you save the image as a file, Paint will give you the choice of which file type you want to save it as. Having said that, when I uploaded my layout diagrams, I saved them as .PNG and had no trouble uploading them to the Forum.

Perhaps Admin can state what image file types are acceptable and/or preferable?

Ray

Using the method I described (Ctrl + PrtScr, then paste into Microsoft Paint), when you save the image as a file, Paint will give you the choice of which file type you want to save it as.

Thank you Ray - sorry I missed that the first time (and maybe subsequent times) that is much more straightforward. I have had a go with a couple of screen shots but will see what Hornby say about file type before posting anymore pictures. Shows what an ignoramus I am I didn't even know I had "Paint" on the laptop! Doh! R-

Using the method I described (Ctrl + PrtScr, then paste into Microsoft Paint), when you save the image as a file, Paint will give you the choice of which file type you want to save it as.

Thank you Ray - sorry I missed that the first time (and maybe subsequent times) that is much more straightforward. I have had a go with a couple of screen shots but will see what Hornby say about file type before posting anymore pictures. Shows what an ignoramus I am I didn't even know I had "Paint" on the laptop! Doh! R-

Paint may be extremely useful as a tool for explaining how to do something which is difficult to put into words. For example, a wiring diagram could be drawn in Paint then saved and uploaded as the answer to someone's question.

Ray

Which were the two points which were too close together?

69 and 70 were overlaying each other. RM support have been in touch this morning to say they have been able to make the icons for 69 - which were the ones in error - go back to their original position, using the track plan that accompanied my request. The layout I have posted on the thread is the updated one with an extra straight piece just to the right of the "Y". Does that make sense? R-

Hi guys,

I just wanted to pop into this thread to say that we've been discussing images (and the delay for approval) in the Forum Feedback thread found here.

As always, ideas, views and opinions are welcome but I hope my post on the second page of the thread there explains why we need approval.

Thank you for taking time to reply and re-assuring everyone how things work from your prospective and why you have to do them as you do.

It is good you are considering allowing members to add images without being screened. I don't think the time a person has been a member of the forum is sufficient as they may not have contributed sufficiently but, maybe after X amount of messages helping on the forum could be acceptable. The question will be, what is a satisfactory number of messages on the forum, 200, 300, 500 ??? Only you can decide Adam.

You may also like to confirm for all members in the admin section, what file types are acceptable. e.g. jpg, png, gif...

PJ

Archived