TTS

bryan_crossan

Hi guys, I recently bought the new Tornado with TTS. The problem I've got is when I'm pulling away and put on the wheel slip after it makes the sound it all goes quite. There is no sound chuffing or steam and it just doesn't sound right yet everything else sound alright. I was wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them.

Cheers

Bryan

BRYAN, hi, you might have the first tts tornado on the forum. Mine is on its way, so will reply further when it comes. There was a very small release, prior to this fuller one, and you may have to wait a tad. I would alert the dealer, of this situation, in case , it is a fault, while you wait for further replies. john

Hi guys, I recently bought the new Tornado with TTS. The problem I've got is when I'm pulling away and put on the wheel slip after it makes the sound it all goes quite. There is no sound chuffing or steam and it just doesn't sound right yet everything else sound alright. I was wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them.

Cheers

Bryan

Mine is OK.

Although the loco main sound is silenced during wheel spin (for realism) the main chuff should return after wheel spin has played out.

I would check that your controller is not holding the wheel spin function on, as it is a one shot sound. Some controllers don't support momentary function selection (e.g. Select) and these functions need to be selected back off ready for next time.

Another check is turn off F1 so the background sound is silenced, then select a distinct toggled sound such as the Fireman's breakfast. Now hit wheel spin, which should interupt the bacon and eggs until it plays out then the fryup should resume. If not I would suggest a fault on how wheel spin is being handled either by your controller or the TTS decoder.

If you think it is the decoder try writing value 5 to CV8 which will reset the sound part of the decoder. If you think it is the controller hanging up the function then try readdressing the decoder to a new address say 99 for now and this will reset any out of kilter functions. If that fixes it you can readdress it back to your chosen address when the fault may again be evident, if so proving that the fault lies on your controller function selection.

Cheers

Bryan

Mine is OK.

Although the loco main sound is silenced during wheel spin (for realism) the main chuff should return after wheel spin has played out.

I would check that your controller is not holding the wheel spin function on, as it is a one shot sound. Some controllers don't support momentary function selection (e.g. Select) and these functions need to be selected back off ready for next time.

Another check is turn off F1 so the background sound is silenced, then select a distinct toggled sound such as the Fireman's breakfast. Now hit wheel spin, which should interupt the bacon and eggs until it plays out then the fryup should resume. If not I would suggest a fault on how wheel spin is being handled either by your controller or the TTS decoder.

If you think it is the decoder try writing value 5 to CV8 which will reset the sound part of the decoder. If you think it is the controller hanging up the function then try readdressing the decoder to a new address say 99 for now and this will reset any out of kilter functions. If that fixes it you can readdress it back to your chosen address when the fault may again be evident, if so proving that the fault lies on your controller function selection.

Your reply came in without a reply Bryan.

Just to expalin a bit more about that '...try readdressing your loco...' tip. If you are using eLink it is not always obvious how the functions are set (on/off/toggled/momentary). Some controllers do onot indicate what state a function is in.

The function states are stored in the controller against that loco id, so when you readdress the loco the controller sets all functions to default settings for the new id, so you can try it out knowing all functions are off.

Try that and report back.

BTW - Tornado screech and chime whistles are great. All the rest is just noise to me.

Rob

I just tested my Tornado TTS and with F1 selected and at any throttle setting from barely moving to flat out when I select F14 wheel slip cuts in, plays out then there is a noticeable dead spot before background chuff at whatever selected speed cuts back in. Obviously the wheel slip sound bite needed to have run on a second or so or it should have ended comensurate with the sound bite and told F1 to cut in again. In reality I doubt you could spin the wheels at higher speeds on a dry road.

DoG TTS is much the same only the dead spot is not as prominent - at this scale 1/4 second is an eternity..

RAF96, you seem to have a lot of new locos. looked a t DoG, but settled on CoN, and Tornado, ,still to come. Xmas come early. All playing stopped while i install turntable. john

I have a fairy godmother John.

I pre-ordered a Railroad A4 Gadwell TTS with Amazon back in June/July and they have just told me that the "Supplier has informed us that this item is no longer available". Needless to say I'm not happy and I might have to wait rather longer as I expect there are a lot of pre-ordered reservations out there!

RAF96, you seem to have a lot of new locos. looked a t DoG, but settled on CoN, and Tornado, ,still to come. Xmas come early. All playing stopped while i install turntable. john

@John

Apologies for being a tad late replying as I have been busy...

My locos - not that many really over an 11 year span, all Hornby except the Jinty and all DCC converted:

Merchant Navy (60th birthday present - part of the analogue boxed set and key to opening my model railway Pandora's Box and subsequent addictive hobby), Black streamlined Coronation (City of Edinburgh, although I really like the reworked blue one), B'mann Jinty, 3 x Hornby Collectors' Club 0-4-0s (2 x steam & 1 x diesel), Mallard bitza (DCC ready chassis, super detail body, ex-market stall tender, Class 56, Thompson B1 with Tornado TTS and DoG TTS. Waiting for a Class 37.

Have fun with your turntable. I fiddled with motorising a Dapol t/t and worked out a wiring plan to allow indication of the t/t table polarity versus the input track polarity. I used a 1/4" stereo jack plug as the pivot and to transmit the power, with a DPDT switch to isolate/reverse the table polarity, including red/green LEDs to indicate if the table was polarised correctly or not.

Here is a link to the w/d for that.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/image/24942-dcc-turntable-trackbed-polarity-wiring/

Rob

RAF96, Hi Rob, thanks for the link, interesting this TT business, particularly the geneva mechanism bit. It sets up the rails by moving 20 degrees each time. Very clever. Whole thing came as a pckage, with decoder, rails etc. Great fun. My collecting started when my first son was born, in 1970. I had a previous triang layout in 1958, but gave to my brother. Its still in his loft, working on trying to get it back. So until 2 years ago, all 3 rail, tt, and n gauge. Tornado will be my 3rd sound loco. Like DCC, but cannot afford to convert all, and 3 rail would mean a great loss in value. So, run both layouts, side by side. Not looking for anymore Dcc, as have 8 locos, and can only run 5 at once. Not interested in Voice rec, or Loco rec, a bridge too far. john

Archived