HORNBY 'ELITE' VERSUS OTHER DCC SYSTEMS

sbroger

I've started looking at DCC controllers/systems as i've just bought the new Hornby A4 'Gadwall'(which Hornby keep calling 'GadwEll', thank goodness it's correct on the loco itself!) with TTS sound.

I've taken it to Gaugemaster nearby(very good sounds from the 'Gadwall' !) who've demonstrated their systems - very simple to use - but their Handsets can't accept alphanumeric loco names unfortunately.

Can anyone offer opinions & advice re:the pros & cons of using The Hornby 'Elite' & Bachmann 'Dynamis' systems please? Or any other system too? Thanks, Roger.

Welcome to the forums sbr.

This being a Hornby forum, we are not really supposed to discuss other brands, and some of us only know Hornby anyway.

If if you want to learn more about the Elite, you can go to the DCC Downloads part of this site and download the entire manual so you can see what it can do.

SBR, welcome, while you are looking and comparing, Have a look at Hornby Elink, with Railmaster very reasonably priced computer controlled system, which a lot of us are very happy with. Have 2 TTS, locos, sounding and running great, with this system. john

SBR, welcome, while you are looking and comparing, Have a look at Hornby Elink, with Railmaster very reasonably priced computer controlled system, which a lot of us are very happy with. Have 2 TTS, locos, sounding and running great, with this system. john

Thanks for your suggestion. Have you used the Elite and,if so, your opinion? Thanks.

This being a Hornby forum, we are not really supposed to discuss other brands, and some of us only know Hornby anyway.

If if you want to learn more about the Elite, you can go to the DCC Downloads part of this site and download the entire manual so you can see what it can do.

Thanks for your welcome . Have you used the Elite and, if so, what's your opinion?

Thanks for your welcome . Have you used the Elite and, if so, what's your opinion?

Yes, I have and use an Elite and consider it to be a reasonable fully functional DCC controller. The Elite also works with Railmaster (RM) which works with a PC so you can have the option of using the Elite's knobs or RM's more capable screen interface.

Youll find yelrow only uses eLink with RM. Really the only capability difference between the 2 systems is a higher baud rate for communication with eLink and that will only be significant if you are doing a lot at once.

But starting from scratch, eLink is certainly much cheaper if you have the PC or laptop to run RM.

I jumped in at the deep end with DCC, and an Elite. My previous railway was N gauge dc, way back when they were really horrible compared with now.
Elite works just fine for me, with no major problems. I had a bit of a niggle initially, when I tried to update it to a later version, and it didn't want to play, but by reading the instructions carefully, and turning OFF the firewall and anti-virus while I down-loaded the update again, it worked just fine.
I run nine diesel outline, of which five are sound,
and
fourteen steam outline, of which eight are sound,
no, not all at once, two circulating, and one or two ticking over is enough - I don't want the neighbours complaining about the racket!

OOPS! I've been held for profanity, and I didn't, honest! I wonder which word upset the filter!

I had the same problem previously and used 'back' to recall my posting but for the life of me I couldn't see an iffy word in there, so maybe the filter has some custom additions by error that are not profane.

OOPS! I've been held for profanity, and I didn't, honest! I wonder which word upset the filter!

I had the same problem previously and used 'back' to recall my posting but for the life of me I couldn't see an iffy word in there, so maybe the filter has some custom additions by error that are not profane.

I've done similarly and found the offence to be use of the word Sierra, Uniform, Charlie, Kilo in the context "that word it and see". Changed it to "try it and see" and it was accepted. So the filter I think is not just stopping profane words sent in clear but trying to stop them sent in code as well. After all, while my word could have a profane context, it has many legitimate contexts as well, but it is close to the spelling of a profane word.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using the Elite since it first came out, and don't find it too bad at all.

I use it on my exhibition layout running RailMaster and two Selects conected to it as walkabout controllers for children to run the layout.

When they do too many things at once it gets a bit confused but it soon resets/clears.

I do prefer the use of another controller when it comes to CV programing as the other controller has a much easier to follow menu system.

You need to think about how you will run your layout, and if you want a desktop or handheld type controller.

Also it does help if you have a local model shop or club that sells/uses the DCC controller of your choice for any help and advice if required.

Cheers

Ian

Archived