r2675 flying scotsman keeps shorting

Pimm07

just converted most of my locos to dcc all are fine apart from my flying scotman, ive installed the hornby decoder, its fine without the tender but as soon as i put on the tender it shorts out and i get a message on the elink on my laptop telling me there is a short circuit any help would be much appreciated

thanks in advance

just converted most of my locos to dcc all are fine apart from my flying scotman, ive installed the hornby decoder, its fine without the tender but as soon as i put on the tender it shorts out and i get a message on the elink on my laptop telling me there is a short circuit any help would be much appreciated

thanks in advance

Is the Scotsman a DCC ready version, ie has it the 8pin decoder socket or have you had to solder the wires yourself?

Looking at service sheet 316 for R2675 you must have hard wired your decoder as that shows it is loco driven but with a dummy ringfield motor in the tender and no decoder socket.

I would check the loco drawbar assy as these are notorious for shorting on the tender post.

Also check that the tender and loco connections are the same 'polarity' on the same side and the tender pickup is not cross connected versus the loco pickup.

Given it is fine without the tender, and I'm assuming it worked before connection, I agree with RAF that the most likely cause is the tender draw bar connections. There are 2 little metal fingers there and I think you will find one is bent and shorting.

Given it is fine without the tender, and I'm assuming it worked before connection, I agree with RAF that the most likely cause is the tender draw bar connections. There are 2 little metal fingers there and I think you will find one is bent and shorting.

Thanks i will check that tomorrow will let you all know

Archived