Track plan help

mariner4222

No disrespect to Hornby, but be wary of track-plan books. Some of the plans have been around since Noah was an infant, and use radius 1 bends! Current loco models will struggle with radius 3, and stand no chance on a 1 or 2, except for 040 or 060 shunters.

Use plan books as a guide, and inspiration, but don't faithfully follow them, or you will be struggling. That applies especially to old plans with gradients. Older loco's had magnadhesion and steel rails, so they gripped better, and would go uphill. On nickel-silver rail, a 1 in 50 is STEEP, and if it's on a bend, really steep!

I read with some trepidation you mention about locos on bends I’m just starting to build a new layout designed with Trackmaster but width restrictions mean I can only use 3rd and 2nd radius bends I was hoping to run it with SR 4-4-0 Class T9 'Greyhound' R3108 and the new BR 4-4-2T Adams Radial 415 Class - Early BR R3333 will these be ok on 2nd radius? If not its back to the drawing board or knock through into the next room!

• 6 years later...

I am very new to all this, but I have received the latest Hornby catalogue in the last hour.

I notice that every loco info has a statement about 'curved track'.

I assume that if it says Hornby 2nd radius / +438mm (for example) but this is the tightest radius that a specific loco will run on?

If so, then maybe the catalogue is useful for us beginner's in selecting trains for tracks.