Turntable

Geordiekerryman

Ridley, hi, you are being a little sparse with information. What make of turntable, is it. If hornby. on this site hornby give details of how to fit decoder etc. Mine is not hornby, i just set mine up like a loco, gave it a number 022 1n my case, then added it to my on screen schematic, track plan. You find it in same place as points. Having done all that, when you click on actual turntable, in your plan, it moves left or right, 1 step at a time. My understanding is thats all it can do. If you click on loco, eg, 22, mine goes on continual movement. That may be me, may be the make, may be thats what its supposed to do, but works a treat from schematic. Has any of this helped. john   Ray, also has one, and no doubt he will comment, as he is far more experienced in DCC than me

Hi Ridley,

Do I take it from your username that you are, like me, located in North East England? As John says, I have a Hornby turntable set up for DCC operation using Railmaster and Elite, so if yours, too, is a Hornby turntable, I would be glad to help.

Ray

From someone down "south", what are the advantages of a DCC operated turntable? I appreciate it can be operated from a central control unit. I have yet to wire up my two Peco Turntables, but they will be operated from an H&M Clipper controller (cheap on ebay). The motor it fitted directly to the central shaft of the T/t (no gear wheels or extra shafts), and turn at 2rpm.  The alignment can be done by eye.  

From someone down "south", what are the advantages of a DCC operated turntable? I appreciate it can be operated from a central control unit. I have yet to wire up my two Peco Turntables, but they will be operated from an H&M Clipper controller (cheap on ebay). The motor it fitted directly to the central shaft of the T/t (no gear wheels or extra shafts), and turn at 2rpm.  The alignment can be done by eye.  

From my point of view, I run my trains via Railmaster programs, including the movement of the turntable. I prefer to be as automated as possible so that I can enjoy watching the trains, rather than spend a lot of time and mental energy controlling them myself. But as I say, that is only my personal preference.

Have you started your layout yet? Will it be DC or DCC?

Ray

Now , i have not yet mastered programs, so drive my turntable by hand. I have 2, the hornby is on DC layout, and the motor driven, by H&M, controller. & locos sit ready to be driven off, when needed. On the other one, the DCC one, with 18 tracks, i only have 4 locos on with accompaning Hangers/ sheds, with self opening doors. Locos drive of when summoned by Railmaster. More locos would be good, but  funds limit conversion/ purchase. My DCC one is set up that all 18 tracks are live, each rail soldered, so trains can move within sheds and sidings. As to alignment, DCC one is spot on, lines up rail every time, you drive from your schematic on RM, going left or right, as required. Hornby one, is  not quite the same, as hand driven, as opposed to chip, and sometimes needs a little blip, although pretty good.. Hope that gives some idea. john

From my point of view, I run my trains via Railmaster programs, including the movement of the turntable. I prefer to be as automated as possible so that I can enjoy watching the trains, rather than spend a lot of time and mental energy controlling them myself. But as I say, that is only my personal preference.

Have you started your layout yet? Will it be DC or DCC?

Ray

Hi Ray - Yes I have started the layout, and it is DCC. If you familiar with CJ Freezers "60 Plans for Small Locations" , it is the "Portable U" - although mine is not portable. Three sides of a room giving me ten feet down each side and seven feet across the window wall. Country terminus to fiddle yard - two main lines and a branch, engine shed with turntable. Second T/T is placed at end of fiddle yard to allow a train entering fiddle yard to automatically uncouple, loco is turned, runs down central track of fiddle yard (always kept free of stock), can then be re-attached to stock for later return journey. It is a layout that will probably be best "timetable operated". I am currently laying track Code 75.

BB

I have a Heljan turntable that is DCC ready and I operate it very well from Railmaster and eLink.  The turntable has a manual control box, supplied from the DCC bus, and also built-in a consecutive sequence of accessory code addresses.  On my turntable these addresses start at 229 and each address covers two turntable roads.  I have ten roads on the turntable, five for shed roads, one for access to the main layout and four short stubs opposite the shed roads.  These are numbered 1 to 10 and roads 1 and 2 are covered by address 229, 3 and 4 by 230 etc.  On Railmaster these can be set up as if they were points so that the red dot with the left-hand arrow on address 229 corresponds to road 1 and the green dot to road 2.  In the remaining roads the odd road numbers belong to red dots and the even roads to the green.  As the diagram shows, I have put the dots on the roads so that a click on a dot on a road will move the bridge to that road.  On Railmaster Pro one can set the bridge position at start-up by including a suitable number in the start-up position box (I have put 50 for road 2, a number bigger than any point numbers) and zero for all other roads.

Admin edit: Image not working - please try to re-upload

Mousehole, high, thats interesting, on my TT, on schematic, a circular type arrive  shows, and you click it in whatever direction, you want the bridge to go. Did your turntable appear as a loco. Mine came up as 22,  john

I hadn't tried using the tuntable image on the track plan, but I see what you mean about controlling yours.  As I have said, the Heljan turntable uses accessory decoder addresses, not a loco adress, as is explained on pages 92-93 of the manual

Hi, welcome to the forum, and yes,  some of us have them, i have 2 , one with Elink, and railmaster. What do you want to know. john

Hi John

1. What equipment is needed inthe way od decoders etc

2. How do you set set it up for 3 or 4 movements

Ridley

Hello Ridley,

Have you had any success with your turntable?

Ray

Mousehole, high, thats interesting, on my TT, on schematic, a circular type arrive  shows, and you click it in whatever direction, you want the bridge to go. Did your turntable appear as a loco. Mine came up as 22,  john

John, for your info and others, the Heljan TT is very different to the Hornby. For a start, it is made to run on DCC unlike the Hornby where some fiddling is needed to make it so. There is a lengthy discussion thread in the forums on it which you should be able to find with a search on Heljan. And the fact that Mousehole refers you to pp 92-93 of the manual is a clue to its complexity too. 

Ridley, if you want further advice, we still need to know what brand of TT you have, given the differences between them. 

Hi, fishy, welcome back, if you remember, my DCC turntable, is also different, being a Frateschi, and also made to run on DCC, coming decoder equipped. My hornby one runs on DC. I looked at the Heljan, prior to purchase, but installation of Frateschi, is much simpler, and it works well from the schematic. Also becomes a loco with no 022. john

• 1 month later...

Hi there, my son got a Hornby R070 Turntable for Christmas.  Despite my husband checking and rechecking them wiring, we cannot get the turntable to rotate. It is making a noise but the motor is not rotating.  He has DCC controls. Before I have to return it to Hornby as faulty, I just wanted to see if we are missing something? Do you need an extra adaptor or something to work this turntable?  

Hi there, my son got a Hornby R070 Turntable for Christmas.  Despite my husband checking and rechecking them wiring, we cannot get the turntable to rotate. It is making a noise but the motor is not rotating.  He has DCC controls. Before I have to return it to Hornby as faulty, I just wanted to see if we are missing something? Do you need an extra adaptor or something to work this turntable?  

The Hornby turntable pauses for a few seconds while it is in alignment with any of the tracks.

Try running the turntable for 30 seconds or so and see if it eventually rotates.

The Hornby Turntable, R070, requires modification to work on DCC, both by altering the wiring of the Turntable and fitting a Decoder.  I have one  and it is operated by calling up address 70.  So it operates just like a Loco.

ANA, hi, welcome, if you look on this sight under SUPPORT, you will find full instructions from hornby, how to convert your turntable to DCC. If you follow these, you should not have a problem. As said earlier, your turntable, is not supplied ready to run on DCC, unlike some other makes. Let us know, how you get on. john

Archived