Dapol track cleaning wagon Hornby DCC Chip

PJ_model_trains

Hi PJ - what do you mean by "Result not good"? what happens now. R-

Hello Roger

Something is running inside, motor or fan? But slow speed only. I will need to open it to find out what.

I reset the decoder CV 8 to 008, then changed item CV 003 to 099

I train/loco set up I called up a shunter and set speeds at 20mph and 10mph.

Then tested it, result not good!   As above, something running but slow speed only.

PJ

Hi PJ,

I assume the 20mph and 30mph apply to the loco which is pulling the track cleaner? But what speed are you running the track cleaner motor?

Ray

No Ray

We are talking track cleaning motor speeds

PJ

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi PJ - what do you mean by "Result not good"? what happens now. R-

Hello Roger

Something is running inside, motor or fan? But slow speed only. I will need to open it to find out what.

I reset the decoder CV 8 to 008, then changed item CV 003 to 099

I train/loco set up I called up a shunter and set speeds at 20mph and 10mph.

Then tested it, result not good!   As above, something running but slow speed only.

PJ

Hi PJ,

I assume the 20mph and 30mph apply to the loco which is pulling the track cleaner? But what speed are you running the track cleaner motor?

Ray

No Ray

We are talking track cleaning motor speeds

PJ

So are you saying that 20 and 30 are the shunt and cruise speeds respectively for the track cleaner? And are these the speeds you are running it at? These seem low to me - I have my cruise set at 50mph.

Ray

No need to take it apart PJ - set it running and just remove the mesh cover in the middle. You might need a torch but you will see the fan part spinning in it's housing. There is no additional motor. What happens if you adjust the speed using the throttle slider rather than using the SHUNT and CRUISE buttons? R-

PJ,

May I ask why you set cv3 to 99? This is the acceleration rate i.e. the time it takes to get from stopped to, say, cruise speed. If you put this down to, say, 10, then try cruise speed, the motor should respond almost immediately to cruise speed.

Ray

Ah hang on - now I understand. What you mean is that you changed the ADDRESS of the decoder from 003 to 099. You didn't change CV 3 at all.

Ray

PJ,

May I ask why you set cv3 to 99? This is the acceleration rate i.e. the time it takes to get from stopped to, say, cruise speed. If you put this down to, say, 10, then try cruise speed, the motor should respond almost immediately to cruise speed.

Ray

Ah hang on - now I understand. What you mean is that you changed the ADDRESS of the decoder from 003 to 099. You didn't change CV 3 at all.

Ray

Yes Ray

I wrote CV8 = 008 which resets to manuf.settings then

The Dapol wagon from CV003 to CV099

Then added it to the list of trains to set the two speeds

PJ

PJ,

I was confused because you seem to be using the term CV to mean the address of the decoder. CV stands for Configuration Variables, of which there are hundreds. They are referenced by the number of the variable, so for example, CV1 holds the ADDRESS of the decoder. When you say, CV003, that to me is a completely different thing.

Ray

PJ,

I was confused because you seem to be using the term CV to mean the address of the decoder. CV stands for Configuration Variables, of which there are hundreds. They are referenced by the number of the variable, so for example, CV1 holds the ADDRESS of the decoder. When you say, CV003, that to me is a completely different thing.

Ray

Sorry for any confusion Ray

PJ

Hi

I have had the Dapol track clean wagon open!

When I opened it a circular brass item dropped out, about 1/4" diameter and narrows looking like a plug (not the black one over the fuid compartment this is smaller and is brass) 

The switch and the chip were alright. I split it as far as I could without damaging any wires and could see the motor. The motor is over the fan and both turn they are not jammed or seized?

At this stage as some dirt had come out and I was a little restricted I decided to put it back together and re-test. Sadly same as before a slow turning noise I can only assume is the motor asI couldn't see and there are no other electrical moving parts on the wagon to my knowledge.

So, I wonder if the motor has damaged, I certainly wonder what the brass stopper is for and the leaflet that came with it only explains how to dismantle to fit or remove a DCC chip.

Comment welcome from anyone who has one, has stripped one down, or has any ideas.

Thank you

PJ

The brass thing is what stops your cleaning fluid coming out in one big rush when you have filled the reseviour with IPA or similar. It creates a "drip" action onto the cleaning pad.

Certainly sounds as  though you may have a duff machine there - as Fishman says, return it for replacement. R-

Can you not temporarily change it back to DC to see if the fan runs as it should, it would eliminate the chip and safety switch/fuse etc from the equation.

Hello Zues

I only have DCC with RailMaster 

I will take it all to bits another day and have another look. I need to find where the brass plug has come out also. 

Thanks for your comments

PJ

Good morning PJ - I get the feeling that you are missing some posts - or just choosing not repsond to some of us. I have pointed out what the brass plug is for (it goes in the bottom of the cleaning fluid chamber and is loose - it does not attach to anything) and I have asked you to look at the fan blades with the mesh centre piece off (with a torch) and I have asked you what happens if you try to adjust the speed using the throttle slider instead of the SHUNT and CRUISE buttons. As far as I can see you have not responded to my questions. I can keep saying these things but I'm sure other readers are getting bored with the repitition. R-

Good morning PJ - I get the feeling that you are missing some posts - or just choosing not repsond to some of us. I have pointed out what the brass plug is for (it goes in the bottom of the cleaning fluid chamber and is loose - it does not attach to anything) and I have asked you to look at the fan blades with the mesh centre piece off (with a torch) and I have asked you what happens if you try to adjust the speed using the throttle slider instead of the SHUNT and CRUISE buttons. As far as I can see you have not responded to my questions. I can keep saying these things but I'm sure other readers are getting bored with the repitition. R-

Hello Roger

No I have not missed the messages just created a task list to check all the items mentioned then answer once I have done so.

I picked up on the brass plug going in the bottom of the chamber but didn't realise it remains loose. 

I was going to see where it went and check the other items when I open it up. hence the reason I have not replied yet.

Thank you for your concen and for your help. I will be back once I have checked your suggestions.  ;o)

I am sure readers will now understand. To satisfy my wife that I am not always in my engine shed, she thinks I should live there, many of these messages are not done near my layout or trains.

PJ

It's a Hoover. If you want to pick up stuff it needs to run flat out. If you use it as a grinder/polisher run it a bit slower else it will throw the wagon off the track and may even flip your points over depending upon motor direction.

PJ,

Do you have any of the attachments attached when you are running the motor i.e. the fan or a cleaning disc?

Have you tried running it at 50 speed steps?

Ray

Hello Ray

Only the fan for the vacuum.

Are you referring to speed steps in the Cv's?

I have only set shunt and cruise speeds as mentioned.

PJ

Hi PJ,

Nothing to do with cv's. I have the shunt and cruise speeds set to 10 and 50 respectively, and I only use cruise, irrespective of whether I am using the fan or the "grinder". The fan is much quieter than the grinder.

Ray

Hello Roger and Ray

I have started to strip the wagon down but keep getting interuptions, wife at hospital today her turn!  I will get back to it soon but meanwhile I thought I would share this reply from another forum...

Have you had a short circuit?  If so, you may have melted the solder that holds one of the springs connecting the pickups to the motor wiring.  As explained in the instructions, this is intentional in order to protect the motor from excessive current because it is only a 9volt motor.

On it's first run I did get a short at the far end of the layout but, it cut out immediately!!!

He also said...

I posted a thread in the Dapol section some time ago in which I said I believed the product was not fit for purpose.  Dapol actually sells a kit of replacement parts but it involves soldering them on - and there are several.  I sent mine back to the supplier for a refund and bought instead a small, mains powered vacuum cleaner designed for vacuuming the interior of cars.  I have found it very easy to use; it is supplied with a shoulder strap so, on a larger layout, you can still reach the distant track and it comes with a range of tiny attachments that appear to be just made for 00 gauge.  It is a Draper and cost about £50 - rather less than the Dapol track cleaner plus decoder and postage.  I do also have the CMX machine but that does not have a vacuum function.

Unfortunately I purchased in an auction on that fleabay site, under the distance selling Regs. you have no come back in an auction. Expensive mistake!  That will teach me not to 'dapol' in the auctions!

PJ

I would wait to see if that is the case before deciding you have made a mistake. If it is just melted solder can you not just re-solder it? I confess to not having looked inside yet so that might be a daft thing to say - see what is wrong and see if you can recover it. R-

PJ, i have exactly the same item, which i keep for DC only. The problems you have had, have only occurred, since its conversion. As was said before, why cant you return it to DC, and test. Do you not have a battery charger or another 12 volt supply. If it bench tests ok on DC, that will prove it was fine on purchase. That being the case, you could either sell it on ebay, or re convert.. The other comment made  about fit for purchase, on another forum, is rubbish. The amount the vacuum picks up, is unbeliveable. Its a great little machine. Would not be without it john

I would wait to see if that is the case before deciding you have made a mistake. If it is just melted solder can you not just re-solder it? I confess to not having looked inside yet so that might be a daft thing to say - see what is wrong and see if you can recover it. R-

Hello Roger

I agree, I had started to take it apart but will have to wait until my wife gets home to continue.  

I got as far as boggie wheels off and am ready to start on opening the body work but phone and door bell keep causing interuptions and with two 6 month old kittens that are like missiles I have to be caeful. They haven't got in my engine shed yet, but they want to and I can't move very fast.  ;o)

PJ

Archived