Wishlist for 2016/2017

LCDR

A loco I have looked at a few times over the years which does stand out with its rugged looks is the A7t  the T1 is also a loco I would not be able to say no to. The both seem to have a presence about them. Like the GWR 72xx has

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just thought if I put two down  I might get one made. And to be honest both the LMS and GWR have a couple of large tanks which are similar. And as a LMS fan for my time period I'm running out of classes which are likely to be made. Other than the MR 0-4-4t and maybe the MR 0-8-0 along with the 2-6-2t's and a couple of 0-6-0's one day hopefully, so that's just six left so I thought I'd give PP a helping hand. 

Very kind of you Fazy, I'd like a NE Q6 0-8-0 which I think are very nice goods engines but never seen south of Doncaster. I think I might however stretch a point and find an excuse to add one to stock.

For your region I'd like a Fowler condensing 2-6-2T (40022 - 40040 series) and a condensing version of the Midland 3F 0-6-0T (47200 to 47251 with gaps, forerunners of the Fowler 3F 'Jinty' but with short smokebox), as these regularly worked on the the SR.

North Eastern kits produce the Q5 and i think Q6. To be honest Arthur from NE Kits designs a few nice kits. I keep meaning to buy a couple see how I get on with them might have to start with one of his the small tanks.

I did a Johnson 3f conversion from a Hornby jinty but a kit would be better. The kits are rare and can fetch a bit now when they do come up.  I can't see Bachmann or Hornby doing one however one of the new kids on the block might. .......live in hope. 

I have so many unfinished kits that I shall need to live to 150 to make them all!  Many were purchased before the RTR equivalent appeared. I do not intend to buy anymore unless they bring out a kit for something I really need, and prefer to work through the ones I already have, but add the occasional RTR model if one comes available that I like.

To give you some idea of my task, the following kits are in boxes in my attic waiting for me to finish them –

Priority 1

D&C models 6S Hastings DEMU, DJH D1 4-4-0, Golden Arrow Z 0-8-0T, Finecast SE&CR ‘H’ 0-4-4T, Finecast U1 2-6-0, Branchlines O1 0-6-0, Roxey / Phoenix ex LSWR / SR augmented 4Sub, and MJT Bullied 4EPB.

These are not currently available RTR.

Priority 2

A dozen Branchlines / Ian Kirk SR Maunsell restriction 4 corridor carriages, four Airfix Schools 4-4-0 with Comet motorising kits, four Airfix Battle of Britain 4-6-2 with Triang chassis and Hornby wheels, an Airfix BR 4MT 2-6-0 with Comet chassis kit, two Finecast SE&CR ‘C’ 0-6-0, Finecast ‘P’ 0-6-0T, a Finecast LB&SCR D1 0-4-2T, a Modern Traction 2EPB, three Branchlines 2Hal EMUs, D&C kits 2H DEMU, a crate full of Airfix and Parkside wagons and vans, etc.

These are all now duplicated by RTR models or not strictly relevant to my main objective.

The Branchlines / Kirk SR carriages were purchased before Hornby brought out their excellent super detailed Maunsells. However the brass side overlays may be re-used to create some Restriction 0 stock (Hastings line steam stock to run with Schools) using balsa wood floors, ends and roofs.

• 2 months later...

You show promise  -- I'm not bothered about the P1, but the B16 and G5 would be very welcome. However the B16, and also the A5  for that matter, could give problens re the closeness of the bogie to the cylinders. However, that won't cause a problem in my display cabinet.

I don't know enough about Southern locos to really comment, although that doesn't prevent me from being rude about them.

PP  That is because you associate Southern locos with those awfully ugly ex LSWR types, and not the sleek and handsome SE&CR and LB&SCR locomotives which are forever a delight to behold!

They do indeed have commonality with your favourite North Eastern, believe it or not. LB&SCR was an air brake road, as was the LC&DR,  and the SE&CR also used steam reversers which any Q6 driver would feel at home with.

May I make a suggestion to the 2016/2017 wish list?....for Southern Railway, I would like to see a H class 0-4-4T and a J class 0-6-4T from the 1930's produced, as used on the SECR. I would've thought they would be a good seller.

The 'H' would be a marvellous addition,and would fit in well with the Maunsell push-pull set too.

May I make a suggestion to the 2016/2017 wish list?....for Southern Railway, I would like to see a H class 0-4-4T and a J class 0-6-4T from the 1930's produced, as used on the SECR. I would've thought they would be a good seller.

Isn't it a bit too late for 2016? I think you meant 2017/2018... And I sniff an SECR H Class 0-4-4T coming up.

Whilst [and in some sences understandably] there have been quite a selection of engines, I've been thinking of some rolling stock. So having previously suggested a "Brake Tender" for the transit period of the sixties to early seventies. Considering that it has been snowy in some parts of the UK how about a snow plough, of which there are/were several types around. The simpliest being the Class 40 bogies that were converted and of course the more traditional type typified by the BTC film "Snowdrift at Bleath Gill", speaking of which one of those starring 'ploughs survives on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway. I say the class 40 bogies being simplest as the former Lima loco is available in the RailRoader range, so the bogies are already in production, one being powered the other unpowered. The plough would be fitted to the opposite end to the bufferbeam and couplings.

One of the magazines is currently sponsoring a brake tender in OO, and the independant snow plough was being sold a few years ago at the Eastleigh open day by a small manufacturer 'Flangeway', although it is probably now all sold out you may be lucky with a second hand one. The Beilhack ex class 40 bogie has been subject of a DIY article in a model railway magazine.

Archived