DCC Bus Resistors and Capacitors

PJ_model_trains

Hi

I need to fit a resisor and capacitor to the ends of both spurs on the dcc bus. Using Radial method so needs on on each end.

I have looked on Brian Lambert site, he recommends the following...

1x d150 or150r resistor on each with

1x bx03d capacitor on each

Codes for above are from Maplins Electronics

On his web site he shows 3 small images but I need to be sure what I do is correct, not what I think is correct.

The resistor is straight foward, wire resistor wire as is the capacitor, wire capacitor wire.

My question is, do the two legs of thecapacitor solder either side of the resistor, if not, how should they be fit/soldered.

I have not done them before.

PJ

Hi PJ

The resistor and capacitor are soldered in series (I think you are describing soldering them in parallel).

The diagram on the Brian Lambert site just underneath the 3 small images shows better, how they should be fitted.

Hi PJ

The resistor and capacitor are soldered in series (I think you are describing soldering them in parallel).

The diagram on the Brian Lambert site just underneath the 3 small images shows better, how they should be fitted.

Hi Rds &Roger

I was trying to describe what I thought I saw (on the tablet)

Looking again, with your advice, and viewing the diagram below the 3 images it is, I think I am right now...

Resistor, cut leg, solder tranformer, transformer leg down. One after the other not in parallell as first seemed possible.

Thanks

PJ

I think if we assume he meant capacitor when he said transformer, he's described soldering one end of the resistor to one track, the other end of the resistor to one end of the capacitor, then the other end of the capacitor to the track. 

At least, if he hasn't, he should've.

I think if we assume he meant capacitor when he said transformer, he's described soldering one end of the resistor to one track, the other end of the resistor to one end of the capacitor, then the other end of the capacitor to the track. 

At least, if he hasn't, he should've.

And the prize goes to Fishmanoz ;-)

Just make sure you don't make any high resistance dry joints in your soldering PJ or the next thing you'll have melting foam under your track and 13 pages of discussion on the merits of DCC buses, bus terminators on them and what underlay my grandmother should use on her layout while sucking eggs!

Sorry, back to the doghouse with WTD again.  

Just make sure you don't make any high resistance dry joints in your soldering PJ or the next thing you'll have melting foam under your track and 13 pages of discussion on the merits of DCC buses, bus terminators on them and what underlay my grandmother should use on her layout while sucking eggs!

Sorry, back to the doghouse with WTD again.  

Hi Fishy

1 thanks

2 dcc bus, only discuss if subject raised

PJ

Hi

I need to fit a resisor and capacitor to the ends of both spurs on the dcc bus. Using Radial method so needs on on each end.

1x d150 or150r resistor on each with (150ohm, 2 watt min)

On his web site he shows 3 small images but I need to be sure what I do is correct, not what I think is correct.

The resistor is straight foward, wire resistor wire as is the capacitor, wire capacitor wire.

My question is, do the two legs of thecapacitor solder either side of the resistor, if not, how should they be fit/soldered.

PJ

Hi

Will this be OK for the end of eack spur/leg of the DCC Bus?

150R 3W RESISTOR

http://www.bitsbox.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=83_89_90&products_id=659

And this

100NF (0.1UF) 35V TANTALUM

http://www.bitsbox.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65_80&products_id=393

PJ

Hi

PJ

Hi

PJ

Hi

Will this be OK for the end of eack spur/leg of the DCC Bus?

150R 3W RESISTOR

http://www.bitsbox.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=83_89_90&products_id=659

And this

100NF (0.1UF) 35V TANTALUM

http://www.bitsbox.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65_80&products_id=393

PJ

This is the correct message, something strange on the laptop, message doesn't appear to be sent so I click again and when I look I see two messages?

Sorry for any confusion!

PJ

No.   The Tantalum capacitor is incorrect, it should be a Ceramic type.

If you're using Bitsbox products use Ceramic capacitor part number CC100N 

The resistor is fine.  Connect one wire of the resistor to one wire of the capacitor (Doesn't mater which way around either are connected to each other)  The remaining two wires - one form the resistor and one form the capacitor connect across the DCC bus pair of wires at the bus wires end. One filter set per end.

No.   The Tantalum capacitor is incorrect, it should be a Ceramic type.

If you're using Bitsbox products use Ceramic capacitor part number CC100N 

The resistor is fine.  Connect one wire of the resistor to one wire of the capacitor (Doesn't mater which way around either are connected to each other)  The remaining two wires - one form the resistor and one form the capacitor connect across the DCC bus pair of wires at the bus wires end. One filter set per end.

Brilliant Flashbang

I was pretty sure for the resistor but was unsure for the capacitor, hence the reason I asked. I didn't want to get it wrong, plug in and it go flash bang wallop if you know what I mean  ;o)

Thanks also for confirming ... (Doesn't mater which way around either are connected to each other) 

That was my next question, after soldering one to the other which way round they would go when connecting to the bus.

Well sorted I can order these later it is not worth driving 70 miles round trip when they are so cheap and P&P only £1.75

Many thanks to all. 

Just waiting a reply on latching unit, and jack plug in RailMaster forum, thread

Recording and playing sounds in RM

https://www.hornby.com/forum/post/view/topic_id/7905/?p=6

PJ

Hi

PJ

Which of these resistors do you think is correct from Maplins?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/metal-film-2w-150-ohm-resistor-d150r

d150r 

Metal Film 2W 150 Ohm Resistor

Archived