L.N.E.R. G5

shaun_emmett

Is their any chace of a 00 gauge G5  0-4-4  L.N.E.R. model being made, there were 110 made they worked all over the L.N.E.R. system including Scotland and the first one to be withdrawn was in 1948, the last 11 in December 1958

As far as Hornby, and Bachmann, are concerned, it appears there were virtually no railways north of Doncaster.

The G5 has been on my list for several years, along with other NER types to no avail.

So it appears there are only 2 chances to get a G5 - No chance and Damn all chance!!!!

The 'big' two seem to be frightened of the 0-4-4T witrh Hornby the only one to have the M7 in their range, Bachmann have never even considered this common and useful type.

With a G5 replica under construction and quite advanced too, this would seem to be an obvious choice for either of them.

I too have all but despaired of the common and popular SECR 'H' being available rtr in my lifetime, so I built two from a 'cut and shut'  of a Airfix 14xx and a Wrenn R1. I now also have a Finecast one to make. That is of course always a possibility for a G5, and in fact K. Chadwick in his book' Model Locomotive Building on the Cheap ' does indeed tell you how to do it.

• 2 weeks later...

If you want a g5 go to rmweb and look for the page about it.  There are hits that one could be made in model forum.  Profits to help the new build. This may also be on the g5 new build page as they are the one's behind the original thought.  

I too would love to see a G5, plus I feel that there is massive untapped potential in the LNER small tanks which is far from exploited as yet.

Paul.

Hi Paul

There's massive untapped potential for NER locos  -  full stop

Rumours connecting the new-build with a model have been going around for quite a while. Nothing has happened so far, though.

I too would love to see a G5, plus I feel that there is massive untapped potential in the LNER small tanks which is far from exploited as yet.

Paul.

Hi Paul

There's massive untapped potential for NER locos  -  full stop

Rumours connecting the new-build with a model have been going around for quite a while. Nothing has happened so far, though.

Problem we suffer from up here PP is that we didnt have a Barry Scrapyard to save most classes. the LNER and all its predecessors suffered horribly in perservation, and because there arent many of the groups loco's about today to stirr the imagination (A4's excepted) theres only the learned ones who know about the extinct classes and would actively campaign for them to be made in model form.

shame really. but its the age old issue of why Flying Scotsman is what it is, virtually everyone knows who and what it is, which is why Hornby sell so many Flying Scotsman models, its a staple part of their buisness.

still, a G5 would be lovely, as would some of the 4-6-2 tanks, Aerolite 2-2-2-2, the "coffee pots", any of the numerous J series (they got right upto J94, so there was an awful lot of 0-6-0 classes), the H cllass 4-4-4, the list just goes on and on and on.

Paul.

There is nothing to stop you canvassing the manufacturers for the models you want, but you need to be consistent and you need to have a reasonable wants list. Don't ask for the 'earth' and  limit yourselves to one maker either, and see if you can interest a big retailer to support you. Look what Rails, Hattons and Kernow have done in recent years, who would have expected a LM Garratt for example?

Although I am not a NE modeller myself I can see and appreciate just how badly that part of the UK has been served, especially when I know just how many home grown modellers there are on Tyneside and Teesside. I go to all the Gateshead toy fairs and listen to the 'crack'.

You are dead right about the lack of a Barry Scrap yard effect in the North East, Drapers and Bolkows just cut them up as they trundled through the gate. Dai Woodhams had more than enough work breaking up 16 ton Mineral wagons. The 21 ton hoppers (Double X in NE parlance) were still much too useful to the shipping staithes and the North East pits had a lot more coal to dig than in South Wales at the end of steam.

• 1 month later...

Hi PP, how much of the J15 is transferrable to the J21? Superficially (apart from the position of the dome and the cab) they look alike, unsurprisingly as they were both designed by  T. W. Worsdell, but when one looks closer there are some striking differences. The wheel diameter is 2" difference, not a huge variation, but in today's world of accuracy probably too much of a difference. The North Eastern tender looks taller than the GE one, and the coal rails are a different design. The running plate, splashers, smokebox and chimney all appear to be similar.

I do hope that a North Eastern locomotive does soon turn up, the G5 is a short odds contender with new build currently at an advanced stage, but a Q6 would be a really nice addition, especially as Hornby doesn't do many 8 coupled types, and I would like one just because I like them.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived