DPDT Switch

Augustus Caesar

Hi guys... a quick one for you....

My question for all those with superior knowledge on these switches is this... I looked at the Brian Lambert site for the section detailing a siding for a programming track. I prefer his second option where a loco is driven onto the siding (DCC operated) then a switch is thrown to change the track to programming. I know how all the wiring works and how to operate it all so the simple thing I need to know is: will this switch work and do the job:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/dpdt-toggle-switch-fh39n

The ratings for it are on site so no need to replicate here. Thanks in advance guys....

BTW... may I take this opportunity to wish you all the very best for 2015... :-)

Hi AC, good to have you back and all the best for you too.

We seem to have squillions just lately who don't believe they have AV problems too, so your assistance definitely needed.  They say their AV is fine but they can't activate or send emails from within RM.  But just for variety, one was I think trying to connect via his phone's hotspot and that wouldn't work for him.

The thing about the switch is it must be break before make, does it say?

As fishy says you might be better to use a on-off-on (momentary) switch like this:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/sub-miniature-toggle-switch-h-momentary-on-off-on-dpdt-fh07h

I use a 4pdt similar to this so there is an isolated section between the programming track and live track, as described by brian lambert, so there is no danger of loco being powered and programmed at the same time.  The momentary switch provides a safeguard against this.

Hi

While the Maplin switch you have linked to would work OK you really should consider having a switch that allows a centre off position too.

So look at using Maplin switch FH05F  which has an On-Off-On function. http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/sub-miniature-toggle-switch-f-on-off-on-dpdt-fh05f

A momentary switch of the fh07h type is incorrect for a programming track selection switch as it would have to be physically held over to either the programming or main track positions when used and would be hard work when carrying out long programming CV adjustment etc. 

Best is to use the 4PDT type of switch Maplin FH08J and have an extra isolating section between the main line and programming track. Switch example.. http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/toggle-switch-4pdt-fh08j

Edit to add 4PDT switch details

Hi AC, good to have you back and all the best for you too.

We seem to have squillions just lately who don't believe they have AV problems too, so your assistance definitely needed.  They say their AV is fine but they can't activate or send emails from within RM.  But just for variety, one was I think trying to connect via his phone's hotspot and that wouldn't work for him.

The thing about the switch is it must be break before make, does it say?

Hi Fishy... thanks for the welcome back!

I do note some users having some issues with their AV products and have been trying to put together a few notes for these forums so we could have a sticky in place for everyone to reference. However, I am of the opinion that these notes will date and we cannot edit them after a while anyway. So, I am going to add some pages to my business site where i have full control over editing etc and can update when users ask for new info or modifications on what is being talked about.

Does that sound good to all out there including HRMS? I will show little or no bias apart from certain AV products of course which is essential for usage of RM in its best form.

'break before make?' Don't follow that Fishy so have I missed something on that link I gave? :-)

As fishy says you might be better to use a on-off-on (momentary) switch like this:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/sub-miniature-toggle-switch-h-momentary-on-off-on-dpdt-fh07h

I use a 4pdt similar to this so there is an isolated section between the programming track and live track, as described by brian lambert, so there is no danger of loco being powered and programmed at the same time.  The momentary switch provides a safeguard against this.

Sounds about right idlemarvel... althogh you say you use a 'similar' switch to the one you mention so where do I get a look at one of those? Thanks for the link in the meantime.. :-)

Hi

While the Maplin switch you have linked to would work OK you really should consider having a switch that allows a centre off position too.

So look at using Maplin switch FH05F  which has an On-Off-On function. http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/sub-miniature-toggle-switch-f-on-off-on-dpdt-fh05f

A momentary switch of the fh07h type is incorrect for a programming track selection switch as it would have to be physically held over to either the programming or main track positions when used and would be hard work when carrying out long programming CV adjustment etc. 

Best is to use the 4PDT type of switch Maplin FH08J and have an extra isolating section between the main line and programming track. Switch example.. http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/toggle-switch-4pdt-fh08j

Of course... a momentary switch needs to be held in place to work... awkward as you say!

I looked at the first option you give, Flashbang, and I thought that would be ideal. Then I looked at the second (4PDT) and am a little confused by this...

On site it says in one of the questions the switch is not 'on-OFF-on' but is 'ON - ON'. So is the switch technically still powered at the middle and not off or is it an on-OFF-on switch? I get the working of the first swicth you link to as the loco approaching the programming track is running DCC. The programming track is DCC also until the loco is stationary in that section and the toggle is thrown to turn that track to programming while the rest stays DCC... is that correct?

So how dos this second 4PDT switch work then? This type is new to me so I do need to fully grasp this so I can get the best option before laying out everything and finding a better one later!

Thanks for your replies guys as usual... :-)

I do note some users having some issues with their AV products and have been trying to put together a few notes for these forums so we could have a sticky in place for everyone to reference. However, I am of the opinion that these notes will date and we cannot edit them after a while anyway. So, I am going to add some pages to my business site where i have full control over editing etc and can update when users ask for new info or modifications on what is being talked about.

Does that sound good to all out there including HRMS? I will show little or no bias apart from certain AV products of course which is essential for usage of RM in its best form.

'break before make?' Don't follow that Fishy so have I missed something on that link I gave? :-)

Sounds good to me. Now does someone else have to say what the business website is?

Hi

Of course... a momentary switch needs to be held in place to work... awkward as you say!

I looked at the first option you give, Flashbang, and I thought that would be ideal. Then I looked at the second (4PDT) and am a little confused by this...

On site it says in one of the questions the switch is not 'on-OFF-on' but is 'ON - ON'. So is the switch technically still powered at the middle and not off or is it an on-OFF-on switch? I get the working of the first swicth you link to as the loco approaching the programming track is running DCC. The programming track is DCC also until the loco is stationary in that section and the toggle is thrown to turn that track to programming while the rest stays DCC... is that correct?

So how dos this second 4PDT switch work then? This type is new to me so I do need to fully grasp this so I can get the best option before laying out everything and finding a better one later!

Thanks for your replies guys as usual... :-)

An ON-ON switch has 2 poisitions, say up or down, or left to righr (depending on how you mount it). An ON-OFF-ON switch has 3 poisitions with the middle position being open cicuit to all contacts. Hope that helps.

May be teaching granny to suck eggs, but just check your DPDT switch has 6 terminals, as the illustration on Maplins only has 3. I think the code for the 6 terminal switch is F. The sub-miniature ON-OFF-ON one I just bought is code FH05F. Rating is 2A 250VAC or 5A 30VDC so plenty capable for model railway work.

Just answering the break before make question, it means, as you change the switch, the first circuit is disconnected before the second is connected.  Clesrly the on-off-on achieves this.

The opposite sort is make before break, where both circuits are connected together briefly as you change over. Clearly though, you don't want to connect track output and programming output together, so you wouldn't use this type.

This would be great for me and I would have no objection to Admin passing my personal e-mail details to you for the link. R-

Thanks to all for the explanations guys. I think I am better informed now to make the right choice. It's looking like the on-off-on switch with the six terminals. So either a trip to Maplins this week or an eBay purchase... probably the former so I know what I am getting! Appreciate all the help...

@Fishmanoz

Once I read your explanation it seemed pretty obvious really what the differences were! Thank you for clearing that up though... much appreciated. :-)

@RogerB

I am hoping that Admin, once the site pages are up and running, can offer a fixed post with a permanent link to the site pages... obviously only the pages for the railway stuff... the others (business side) will be accessible in their own right and won't be pushed on here. I hope to begin development of these very shortly and once begun they shouldn't take too long. It's the detail and getting everything correct that's the hard bit as I don't wish to give over incorrect detail inadvertently. If Admin wish to allow details to be passed to myself with the owner's permission then that's fine by me. However, there may be a link to an email address o contact form on the site anyway. We'll see how that goes during development.

All I ask here is for a small modicum of patience because of ill health to my wife. I will build the pages bit by bit and any add-ons anyone may wish to offer up will be duly considered.

Just a very quick post to say a huge "Thank You" to all who helped me decide which switch to go for regarding programming track isolation. I eventually plumbed for the on-off-on switch (FH05F) from Maplins at £2.79 and will wire this up very shortly on a test track and try it all out to see how it works.

Cheers guys... :-)

Archived