Does It Harm a DCC ready loco if you try to run it on a DCC track?

The Musicman

Very likely Mm.  The problem is that DCC supplies full voltage to the track at all times.  This can burn out a DC motor, particularly if it is just sitting not moving.

So while it is possible to run a DC loco on DCC, it is highly recommended that you don't.  In fact, unless you have a good reason for not doing so, it is better to turn off the DC running facility in CV29.

So while it is possible to run a DC loco on DCC, it is highly recommended that you don't.  In fact, unless you have a good reason for not doing so, it is better to turn off the DC running facility in CV29.

Can you explain how to adjust cv29 on a DC or DCC ready loco?

Tad difficult that as it adjust a variable within the decoder what isn't fitted yet.

Can you explain how to adjust cv29 on a DC or DCC ready loco?

Tad difficult that as it adjust a variable within the decoder what isn't fitted yet.

Hopefully kiwi get his answer before he logs back on, assuming he's in the southern hemisphere and asleep right now. As RAF points out a DC or DCC ready loco doesn't have a decoder so it cannot be adjusted! However, anticipating the next question - and I'm sure it has been answered before - could someone please describe how to change CV29 on a decoder.

Sorry but no wonder people get confused. A DCC ready loco as bought will not have a decoder fitted, so it is pointless telling anyone to disable DC runnining in CV29 of a non existent decoder.

DCC ready means the loco has the ability to have a decoder fitted by provision of an in built socket. So to keep it simple, if it hasnt had a decoder fitted it cannot be run on a DCC powered track as 1. It wont work and 2. It is likely the motor will burn out.

A DCC fitted loco has a decoder fitted and therefore will work on both DC and DCC layouts. It is poossible on a DCC fitted loco to disable DC running in CV 29, but that was not the question.

DC locos can't work on DCC track. DCC ready locos aren't DCC fitted. If they were then they would be DCC fitted not DCC ready. DCC ready are conventional 12vDC engines. I think all locos should be DCC ready, then I could use them all on my DC layout or convert them.

The blanking plug, I believe, merely makes the connections that would exist if the DCC socket wasn't there. Inserting the decoder directs the 16V power from the DCC controller through a rectifier that the 12DC motor can then run on without destroying it. The rest of the chips as far as I'm concerned are magic to enable the controller to command the loco. :)

Correct - the DC blanking plug on a DCC ready loco is purely a direct patch across from the track pickups to the motor connections. There is no magic involved, only solder.

Here's one I photographed earlier. If you destroy one, inside the layers you will find a cross connection across the corners - each track pin linked to its associated motor pin.

/media/tinymce_upload/IMG_0707.JPG

Just on the last 3 posts:

-  Yes, Michael, I made and acknowledged that mistake about CVs and DC locos

-  XYZ, yes DC locos will work with some DCC systems on ID 0 (doesn't include eLink) but, as said in the original posts on here, it's highly recommended to not do this due to the high risk of burnout of the motor, especially if just sitting on the track

-  Not true CS, DCC supplies a 16V peak-to-peak pulse width modulated square wave to the motor at all times. The average value of this determines the loco's speed.  It is one of the advantages of DCC in that it results in better low speed startup and running.  Check it out on Brian Lambert if you don't believe this, right at the start of his DCC section.

Archived