Hornby Couplings

The Musicman

Are they DCC couplings?  What are you doing with them. Once in a blue moon a hook may fall off but that's about all. 

Hi,yes they are hooks but I find they wont  go back on,I am talking about couplings on the wagons that I got when I bought the Somerset  Belle which is DCC.

If you look at the pivot bar that the hook rotates on you will see it is flatter in one axis than the other and that the hook if angled correctly will easily slip back onto the bar, then when the hook adopts its normal horizontal position it cannot escape from the bar.

I usually have a hook on one end of my stock only as I find two hooks can tangle on curves leading to derailments.

If you look at the pivot bar that the hook rotates on you will see it is flatter in one axis than the other and that the hook if angled correctly will easily slip back onto the bar, then when the hook adopts its normal horizontal position it cannot escape from the bar.

I usually have a hook on one end of my stock only as I find two hooks can tangle on curves leading to derailments.

Hi,thank you very much for your answer I will have a go at that.The Musicman 

If your layout is an oval, as opposed to a figure 8, and you don't physicaly remove and turn the stock around, you can bend the hooks in towards the inside of the curve to avoid that. Don't overdo it though or you will have problems on the straight bits.

Archived