Digital track or Analogue

Ratrod

Hi!

I  need some help here, I have a collection of mainly Scalextric slots cars.

As I have moved I now have a bit of space, for a small race track.

I wanted to buy an up to date track, as second hand original analogue track normally leaves a lot to be desired, buying it new is somewhat expensive!

At the time and not knowing any different I purchased a good second hand digital track with controllers (no cars)

My problem now is can I run my analogue cars on a Digital track?

I have not attempted it, yet!

or do I have to convert to digital chip things to get them to work?

I don't particularly want to do this as it would basically destroy their integrity as some of them are collectors items, and the cost at £15.00? a pop rather puts a hold on that idea!

or will I have to revert to buying a bunch of second hand cruddy old track!  and run them with analogue controllers as original? 

I read that you cannot use an analogue PSU on the digital track supply piece of track or fit the analogue controllers.

However, Is it possible to replace the main piece of Digital PSU supply track and controllers and replace with an adapted (rewired) standard piece of standard digital track to run analogue PSU and Analogue controllers.

So in other words I can just replace the supply piece of track for either analogue(adapted) or Digital depending on which cars I want to use?

Or are all the power transfer rails interlinked some how to prevent you from doing this?

Thank you 

Baffled ;-)

Yes I find it very odd that it is hard to find good answers to some of the simplier questions.

What doe you mean by "digital" track?

Essentially though there is really very little difference between digital and analog track. 99% of the track is exactly the same. The only really "digital" bits are the lane changer pieces (straights and curves) which are plainly obvious because of the lane change switches.

The biggest difference is of course the power unit track. The simpliest solution here is to pick up a Sport power track (ideally with 2 power converters) and Bob's your uncle. I have seen these go for 5 GBP on that auction site...

When you do decide to go digital you just need to add the "digital" bits or as "Game over..." said pick up an ARC set (which is analog and will work with your current cars) and you get a lot of the fun stuff of digital without chipping the cars. (The ARC One is described really well in several places).

Maybe this helps...?

• 2 years later...

Andy and Gary are correct.

They should have said remove the digital powerbase, powerpack, controllers, changers, and lap counter.

Then just add arc 1 and powerpack and controllers, which can be had at deep discounts if you surf the net.

If the cost of a digital chip stops you from using digital, then you should sell it.

As for converting any scaly digital powerbase to analog, glad was developed before the apb and remains posted elsewhere as a how to.

Today , unless you have special needs, it is far easier to buy an off the shelf scaly digital apb or arc pro when it arrives.

Archived