select help

old relic

just purchased a select controller, i understand the amount of trains it will run, but i cannot understand the number of points it can control, is it 4 or 40. The layout ive got in mind will have seven points.also being a novice how many will work off one decoder, i assume i will require 7 point motors.

Any feedback would be greatly appriciated.

just purchased a select controller, i understand the amount of trains it will run, but i cannot understand the number of points it can control, is it 4 or 40. The layout ive got in mind will have seven points.also being a novice how many will work off one decoder, i assume i will require 7 point motors.

Any feedback would be greatly appriciated.

Hello from another old relic :-)

The Hornby decoder is R8247 and it has 4 ports, allowing control of 4 points. There are other decoders available, which have 2, 4 or 8 ports. Another factor to consider is how far apart the points are on the layout. If there are three or four grouped together, it would be handy to try to connect all them to a 4-port decoder. If there are two points by themselves, a 2-port decoder may be better.

Ray

... i assume i will require 7 point motors ...

You will need a Point Motor for each point but as has been said above, you can control up to 8 Point Motors from one decoder, or where Points need to be switched together, you can wire 2 points into the same decoder port.  In that case and depending on your layout, you may get away with just One 4 Port Decoder.  (For example, I have 28 points, controlled by just Four, 4 Port Decoders)

Another one to move to the DCC threads -

and - old relic - when you make a reply to a comment, scroll down to the white box below - and type in there, then click the GREEN reply button. If you type in the other bit and use the blue button, the bits of messages get mixed up, and confuse everybody!

The blue button is used if you want to reply to a direct bit of discussion someone has posted, but you are advised to crop out unwanted text else the forum ends up repeating itself over and over and becomes hard to follow.

By using the green button you are obviously replying outside the detailed discussion, but by careful use of words you can refer back to what you need to without all the yellow box repetition.

This is a green button reply.

I apologise to all the people i have confused, the layout points to hitting the blue button when replying to someones help,the green button points to someone replying to my request of help

And this is a blue button reply...

I apologise to all the people i have confused, the layout points to hitting the blue button when replying to someones help,the green button points to someone replying to my request of help

And this is a blue button reply...

And this is a second blue button reply, so you can see the difference...

Or, to answer your question on the number of decoders you can connect to the Select, you could connect 10 of them if you had 39 points to control.  You can only ever throw one point at a time with the Select so all the decoders and point motors will be sitting drawing very little current except the decoder and motor attached to the point you are throwing.

It's very similar to the number of locos you can run.  You can have as many as you like sitting on the layout but you can only have 3-4 actually running at once.

Simple answer: The Select will operate up to 39 points by using up to 10 seperate Hornby Decoders. (Each Hornby decoder drives four point motors, one point motor is required for each point in used)

Unless you have any ports doubled up for say a cross over.

Archived