Industrial Tank Engines - Time for something new?

Alessio

I've been actively interested in model railways for 12 years now and in that time I've only ever seen one new 0-4-0 added to Hornby's range - which was when the old Thomas, the 4-wheeled version of the E2, was brought back a  few years ago. 

Surely it's time for Hornby to have a look at maybe adding something different to their range?

Likewise the 0-6-0s available haven't changed all that much - GWR Pannier, Jinty, A1X, J94, J13/52 and more recently the J50. All of which, except the J94, are limited usually to a BR livery and a pre-1948 livery (or two). It all means that despite an interest in tank engines, there's nothing that I really want from Hornby in this respect.

I've mentioned it before but I'd like to see some more industrial types of tank engines. Pecketts, Barclays, Bagnall, RSH, Hawthorne Leslie, Hunslet, Hudswell Clarke etc etc etc. I think any one of these would offer Hornby far greater flexibility in terms of livery choices and also train sets that could be produced.

Anyone else feel there's room for change in this area?

I can't see it to long before hornby brings one out. as DJmodels are to release at least one  in the next few years and I sure a second is also planed.  But can't remember if thats also from dave.  Not to mention the new  j94. Heljan are working on a Hunslet. so Hornbys probably watching to see how things sell

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm going to be really bold here. How aout the old Tri-ang "Nellie" with a new chassis and DCC socket? Runs and ducks for cover.

I agree SoT, and a new body as well. 

There are days when I think I should have a new body too!

I guess it is easier and cheaper to put different bodies and liveries on existing chassis / models. The demand for good quality industrial locomotives (also like the case for OO9) is somewhat untested, and therefore much more of a risky investment to tool up a new and more accurate model.

The new Sentinel diesel should have helped to alay some of the fears, as it seems to be selling reasonably well.

The industrial scene is complicated. There were dozens of manufacturers of small steam and diesel shunting locomotives who each offered a huge range of locomotive types and indeed offered a bespoke service to customers. Hornby now in fact does make examples of the two most common in the Austerity (WD / J94) Barclay 0-6-0ST for steam and the RR/Sentinel 0-4-0 / 4wD diesel. Both these types were used throughout Britain by a wide range of industrial users.

A small 0-4-0ST Peckett and a Ruston and Hornsby 48D might be the best we should hope for, but I think it is much more likely we shall have to rely on kit manufacurers for the rest.

Archived