Whatever happened to Hornby shop demonstration layouts?

Carltonf

How many of you remember the layouts that larger shops often had to demonstrate Hornby products? I would guess they would have been about 8'x4', and usually covered with perspex (or at least on the sides).  Typically double track ovals, sometimes on multiple levels.  

My memory is hazy, but they were very well presented.  I may be totally wrong, but I seem to recall some being coin operated (maybe for a worthwhile charity)?

Does anyone know, were these provided by or commissioned by Hornby, or did individual shops just build their own?  I know our local Fenwick had one for years, but I've seen them in many large department stores over the years.  I guess with model railways being less popular (despite a recent resurgence), and shop space being at a premium, they have all but disappeared.

So, does anyone know what happened to them, or indeed, can they still be seen today?

The last one I saw was in Modelzone in High Holborn (it was a very big shop). It was a Trackmat layout, that had had a couple of extra straights put in each side, to make it, as you say, 8x4. It sat under a huge plexiglass cover. I think they use to switch it on on the morning, and then off when the shop closed - the trains must have covered miles - it was there for a long time. I spent many a lunchtime in that shop - they had some very good sales, and many of my locomotives came from there.

How many of you remember the layouts that larger shops often had to demonstrate Hornby products? I would guess they would have been about 8'x4', and usually covered with perspex (or at least on the sides).  Typically double track ovals, sometimes on multiple levels.  

My memory is hazy, but they were very well presented.  I may be totally wrong, but I seem to recall some being coin operated (maybe for a worthwhile charity)?

Does anyone know, were these provided by or commissioned by Hornby, or did individual shops just build their own?  I know our local Fenwick had one for years, but I've seen them in many large department stores over the years.  I guess with model railways being less popular (despite a recent resurgence), and shop space being at a premium, they have all but disappeared.

So, does anyone know what happened to them, or indeed, can they still be seen today?

Hello and good evening,Beales store in Bournemouth has one,its not coin operated but operated by a push button which times itself out,the layout is exactly as you describe them.I allways have a go on it whenever im there.

I can remember back in the late 1960s,as part of the run up to christmas,mum and dad used to take me to Hamleys toy store in Regent street,in London to purchase some Tri Ang/Hornby goodies for santa to deliver on christmas day(happy days).I remember,i think,that there was a large layout that went around the top of the staircase(which was enclosed in a perspex frame).That year,for christmas,i received a Tri/Ang Hornby Winston churchill and three southern coaches.I think,correct me if im wrong,but wasnt Hamleys part of the Tri/Ang empire?

I think there boast was "the largest toy shop in the world".

Also,Clements department store in Watford used to have a very large layout in the 1960s and well into the 1970s,it must have been at least 20 feet long and at least 10 foot wide,it was multi level,with tunnels and the grand victorian suspension bridge as well,although i never actually saw anything running on it.I guess that this layout was built by the store and not tri/ang,as it was then.

Inspired by my own question, and the fact some of you confirm they are still out there, I am going to make a trip to Fenwick on Saturday and ask the friendly chap who works there if they still have it tucked away somewhere!

There are two layouts at the Hornby Shop, which is within Houghton Garden Centre, Carlisle, Cumbria. One layout is approx 6'x4' with in a perspex cover, and the other is located on the lower floor and is approx 20'x8' with perspex sides. Both layouts run all day. While my dearest looks round the garden centre I tend to wander off to the hornby shop and reminisce.

• 9 months later...

Hi

The demonstartion units were a Hornby marketing exercise. My father was manager of T & G Allan's shop in Morpeth, Northumbreland and they had a coin operated example.

When the shop was being refurbished in 1983-4 they were going to scarp the model. I bought it and converted it to run on 2p coins. It kept my two children and their friends amused for hours.

I still have the model in the loft. The track needs replacing as the curves are worn out. Not sure what to do with it. Any suggestions? 

The demonstartion units were a Hornby marketing exercise. My father was manager of T & G Allan's shop in Morpeth, Northumbreland and they had a coin operated example.

I used to love trips up to Morpeth, for T&G Allan's and the little model shop in the arcade of the main street, whilst mother was in Rutherfords.  T&G Allan's was brilliant.  I remember they were selling off the Live Steam rocket quite cheap and my dad offered to buy me it (I was spoilt!) but I actually said I didn't need it.  I probably had something else I was after.  I haven't been to Morpeth for years and years.  

For the record, I've not had a chance to speak to Chris at Fenwicks about their layout, but will do one day!  I did just notice the other night the link on this site to the Corporate Layouts site - it looks like they made the layout for the Flying Scotsman layout - typical of these layouts in shops.

One of our bigger model shops in the city has a large demo layout based on the Noch Silvretta layout with more tracks around the outside.  Primarily HO of course including some Marklin centre stud track but some Hornby running incl Thomas.  All sorts of little interest features added like a Tardis, flying Harry Potter car, a fishing lake just for you PJ, Santa arriving by flying sleigh at Christmas and more.  Always more than one train running and no coins needed.

It was my inspiration to get back in the hobby and I still drop by to look at it.

As a kid, those layouts were the equivalent of someone on Youtube today demonstrating their layout and saying 'just look at the possibilities!' I still spend far too long watching the small layout in the shop at the NRM. Seeing them in Toymaster and Allders in Leeds (what a loss Allders was... that top floor was a dream) were the catalyts that drove my desire for a model railway from the age of 4 or 5. I got my first set at 11 in 2003, I think, and to be able to ride up the escalator armed with £50 (which would buy you a lot more in those days) and take my pickings from the shelves was a dream come true. Sadly Allders shut down in 2005; Toymaster had already binned their layout and Merrion Models was bought out by Modelzone so Leeds was left without a decent model shop.

I guess it's clear why shops don't do that any more. Increased costs makes shop floor space a premium, meaning they can't afford to give the space over to large displays. A crying shame because I'm sure they'd acutally end up selling more if the products were demonstrated in a good quality model environment.

• 2 years later...
Hi
The demonstration units were a Hornby marketing exercise. My father was manager of T & G Allan's shop in Morpeth, Northumberland and they had a coin operated example.
When the shop was being refurbished in 1983-4 they were going to scrap the model. I bought it and converted it to run on 2p coins. It kept my two children and their friends amused for hours.
I still have the model in the loft. The track needs replacing as the curves are worn out. Not sure what to do with it. Any suggestions? 

Hi there - old thread I know, but do you (or anyone else) still have on of these layouts you want to sell? Would love to recreate my own childhood with one of these...

• 3 years later...