Model Railway Buildings etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Are Dapol still in business? I passed through Llangollen a week or two ago and what was the Dapol factory site had been levelled for redevelopment - there's nothing there now.

According to their web site they are located here:

DapolGledrid Industrial ParkChirkWrexhamLL14 5DG

Whether or not they still do all the production in Wales I'm not certain about, but they are definitely still up and running.  

• 2 weeks later...

Dapol use a soft plastic(to extend the life of the old molds) so the kits are not of the same quality as the old Airfix ones.

I have always wondered why Airfix have not standardised their scale on such items as figures, buildings, aircraft(1:72), military vehicles and the old railway items to 1:76 or 1:87. This would lead a greater use and purchase of their products in similar but not related fields of modelling.

Starting to produce kits of modern rolling stock and locomotives(such as the Class 66) in 1:87 scale, that are seen and used in Europe and the U.K., would be an obvious choice. When it comes to purchasing rolling stock kits, railway modellers tend to purchase more than one because in the real world they are trying to replicate, wagons of the same type normally travel in groups, i.e. merry go round coal trains.

• 1 month later...

Archived