Collett Coach Livery

poliss

Having a large supply of the original ones I'm beginning to feel a bit like the proverbial over fed parrot! Mind you I'm not sure if I would be able to afford enough of them to replace all mine. However, may get one or two to mix and match with my Bachmann and Hawkworth coaches as the Old hornby ones just don't look right.

Having a large supply of the original ones I'm beginning to feel a bit like the proverbial over fed parrot! Mind you I'm not sure if I would be able to afford enough of them to replace all mine. However, may get one or two to mix and match with my Bachmann and Hawkworth coaches as the Old hornby ones just don't look right.

I had the same problem when Hornby introduced the super detailed Maunsell Corridors. Up to then I was using a mixture of Graham Farish and Hornby (pseudo Collett) Maunsell look alikes. I now have a cardboard Fruit Tray (free from Tesco) full of carriages I may never run, with low resale value. It is great to have proper Maunsell carriages though, well done Hornby!

Bachmann's "Collett" coaches are quite different from Hornby's. They are from a later stage of GWR coach development and are longer (61 ft. as against 57 ft.). So, there's no reason for Bachmann to retire them.

The old Hornby 57-footers were too high and could not be run with scale coaches (such as the B'manns) unless they were modified. Let's hope the new ones are the correct height.

Over height was a fault inherited from Tri-ang. In Tri-ang days (pre-1965) the buffer centres were a full 2 mm higher above rail level than scale (equal to 6 inches in the real world) , and running other manufacturers stock did look slightly odd. However we tended to overlook that because we were perfectly happy with a track gauge similarly too narrow. Nowadays of course the Model Railway press and associated keyboard warriors would be knotting the hanging rope for such liberties!!

Archived