Brighton Belle lamps not working

plug47

I have just bought a brand new DCC ready Brighton Belle. I tested it on DC first to check it was working ok before I put the DCC chip in. Everything was fine including all the table lamps.  I put the chip in and it runs fine in both directions. I pressed function 1 as per the instuctions but the table lamps didn't work. I tried all the other function numbers as well, but to no avail. I then thought it may be a dodgy chip so I put another one in but the lamps still don't work. Has anyone else had the same problem? Any ideas?

Not familiar with the Brighton Belle, but the coach lights in my EMU are switched on/off using F8. I believe F8 is fairly standard for interior DCC enabled lighting. It is usually the directional lighting that is F1 controlled.

Directional lighting is always F0 on Hornby decoders. I suppose it depends on the make of the decoder as to which F# operates what service and obviously how you impliment that Function depends upon the controller..

Not familiar with the Brighton Belle, but the coach lights in my EMU are switched on/off using F8. I believe F8 is fairly standard for interior DCC enabled lighting. It is usually the directional lighting that is F1 controlled.

@RAF96

Directional lighting is always F0 on Hornby decoders.

Quite right Rob, F0 not F1 for directional lighting..........teach me to rely on just my elderly memory, should have checked first before posting. On my EMU, F8 is still interior lighting though.

Thanks to all for your suggestions. My controller is Hornby Elite. The train instructions say that F1 controls the table lamps, so it must be already programmed. I can't find any instructions in the Elite manual for resetting function settings.  I have tried all the F buttons including F8. I don't think the Hornby chip can run on DC, I don't want to take a chance on damaging it. If I take the chip out the lamps still work on DC, but still not with the chip in???

The Hornby decoder is fine on DC. You won't cause any damage to it.

Just to check, you have selected the loco before pressing the function key?

The reason I asked if the loco goes in the same direction as the others is that the wiring on the socket may be reversed, in which case the lights won't work.

Try turning the decoder round 180 degrees in the socket.  If you have the decoder reversed it will stop the lights working.

Having the decoder the wrong way round doesn't cause any harm but does stop the lights from working.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions, gave me lots of ideas.  I took the chip out of the train and tested it on dc just to confirm that the lamps were still working properly.  I then reinserted the chip the wrong way round i.e.turning the decoder round 180 degrees in the socket.  As expected the train ran backwards, but low and behold the lamps worked when I pressed function 1.  So the problem appeared to be in the wiring of the train.  The first thing I tried was to alter the command wire.  The instruction leafet with the chip states that the white wire works function 1. With the decoder conection turned around the white wire went into pin 2. So I joined the white wire from the chip to the yellow wire on the conector and put it back in the train the correct way round.  The train ran in the right direction but the lamps did not work. Plan 2. It seemed that to get the lamps to work the connection needed to be reversed so I rejoined the white wire to the white pin but this time chaned the wires to the motor. i.e. joined the orange wire to the grey pin - motor right and the grey wire to the orange pin - motor left.  Hey presto the train runs in the correct direction AND the lamps work.  I don't like to be beaten! The problem certainly seems to be in the wiring of the train.  I would be interested to know if anybody else experienced this problem.

You gonna confuse me with logic I don't wanna chit-chat!!  - I think that's all a bit beyond me as yet. I didn't get all the CV stuff when I read the handbook - maybe later, I'm ok at cutting wires at the moment!!

You gonna confuse me with logic I don't wanna chit-chat!!  - I think that's all a bit beyond me as yet. I didn't get all the CV stuff when I read the handbook - maybe later, I'm ok at cutting wires at the moment!!

So having bodged the wiring on your loco to work after a fashion, what will you do if the decoder fails and you have to fit a replacement that wants to work to the NMRA standard wiring arrangement.

A basic understanding of CV29 is at the heart of being able to operate DCC effectively.

Hi RAF96 & poliss.  Just to make things absolutely clear.  I haven't touched the wiring in the train.  The wires I altered were the ones from the decoder to the plug, so that the messages to the train would be reversed and it would the go the right way.  If the decoder stops working for any reason and I need to fit another one, as the train will still be incorrect I will have to do the same thing again.

I will check out that link about cvs

• 3 years later...

I just fitted a Gaugemaster DCC27 decoder in my Brighton Belle and can confirm the table lights did not work. reversing the decoder plug got them to work. I guess I need to (at some point) change the running direction with it's CV but as the train is symetrical I can't see any reason. My Belle was the one sold around 2016 the 1934 version. 

• 4 months later...

Thanks for that Santa Martyn, I also have the early Belle and the interior lamps have never worked. I just thought it was Hornby being cheap and not fitting them. Now I know what to do to fix it after 3 years.

Archived