Hornby RailRoad - Expansion of the range

JeremiahBunyan

Hey,

About 2-3 years ago Hornby started to expand the Railroad range. This was done by the beautiful Mk1s, followed by the Mk2Es. However in terms of locomotives this wasn't as straightforward as the coaches, the DoG, P2, Hall all were from the design-clever age where these actual Railroad spec models were introduced in two forms. The Franco-Crosti is the only definite RailRoad release.

Hornby stated that "RailRoad isn't just about older models from older tooling" and that the RailRoad range would see many newer models. With that being said, can we expect some new mainline diesel locomotives?

With the introduction of TTS sound I think some new well sought after locomotives can be introduced as part of the RailRoad range. Some Classes to consider introducing/re-introducing into the RailRoad range IMO would be Class 25, Class 37, Class 47, Class 41 HST, Class 86, Class 87, Class 92, Class 110, Class 142 Pacer.

I know that the Class 37 and Class 47 already exist in the form of the ex-Lima tooling. But Hornby can improve on these a lot with the addition of many things. If you consider locomotives Hornby can have firstly a more prototypical representation, wire handrails, moulded bogie detail, moulded fans beneath a mesh grille, simple centrally mounted motor chassis (eg: ex-Lima Class 67), NEM coulpings, crude representation of the cabs. etc.

I think that since the RailRoad range is aimed at beginners and people with a budget they if you offer a quality low cost model with a simple level of detail then that would be beneficial in many respects i.e individual, train packs and even starter sets. I remember seeing sets in a magazine that featured a Class 47 and the Royal Train. It looked beautiful for it's time. The current Class 47 has a bit of a sad appearance and still to basic.

Having these models in the range means including some of Britain's most iconic locos at an afforable cost with some basic detailing.

I hope it's something that can be the. If the range can be expanded to include new diesels that would be great. It's always the case where Hornby churn out 2-3 new steam locos a year but 1 or probably no diesel and absolutely no electrics. Some proper looking budget diesels and electrics would also attract many children of today's generation.

This should be in the wishlist section.

Not necessarily.... It can still be a general discussion based on a number of factors:-

- is it feasible to introduce budget versions of some of the most popular British locos?

- what amount of detail will be right?

- what will be the price range of these? £60 - £80...?

Still something can can be easily discussed going off of my OP. I just named a fer locos to give an example based on what Hornby stated a few years ago. It's a pity that the modern D&E models are almost neglected.

Railroad is a useful range, but by definition will always be limited by the need to keep the price down. The 4-6-0 County did appear a few years back, but seems to have gone again. Would be useful to see it return. I'd like to see a few more Southern types appear, the E2 for instance, although that model was butchered to make Thomas. But the original  BoB using the older pre-super detail version would be nice, and goes well with the Pullmans.

A new Railroad version of something like a LB&SCR I3 4-4-2T or a SR Q 0-6-0 would be a good introduction too.

Railroad is a useful range, but by definition will always be limited by the need to keep the price down. The 4-6-0 County did appear a few years back, but seems to have gone again. Would be useful to see it return. I'd like to see a few more Southern types appear, the E2 for instance, although that model was butchered to make Thomas. But the original  BoB using the older pre-super detail version would be nice, and goes well with the Pullmans.

A new Railroad version of something like a LB&SCR I3 4-4-2T or a SR Q 0-6-0 would be a good introduction too.

R3279 GWR County Class "County of Hants"

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/shop/hornby-railroad/railroad-locomotives/railroad-br-4-6-0-county-of-hants-county-class.html

+1 for the LB&SCR E2. But I prefer it to be from new tooling (either RailRoad or main range).

Is it not possible for Hornby whenever they release a super-detailed model to also offer the same as a 'dumbed down' version in Railroad? Probably not for a small selling model but otherwise?

Les

Yes there's two ways of doing that...

1) Use the same tooling without a large number of separately fitted parts which will make the model look stupid.

2) Have separate tooling which basically doubles the cost.

I don't see either as a viable option.

Archived