Streamlined P2

The Doc

I wonder if, having managed to make a beautiful Cock o' the North P2 , Hornby could consider the streamlined version with the A4 style front?  All 6 P2s ended up with the streamlined front, though I am aware that there are many differences between the individual engines.  Could the mouldings be designed so that all the variants could be produced (at least in theory)?  

Hi Doc

I agree, I'd love the streamliner. I didn't buy the current model because I just don't like the shape!!If they did the A4 shaped variant I'd have all 6 (I wouldn't really, but it sounds good)

I was very disappointed when I found out that it was the original that was being produced

There is a group in Doncaster who hope to create a replica of the Bugatti front version . Not too much occuring just now unfortunately.

P2.www.facebook.com/pages/Doncaster-P2-Locomotive Trust - Cock O' The North

Yes, thanks for the link -  I've just had a look at their pages but it seems that the A1 steam locomotive trust are some way ahead of the Doncaster group in their project to build a new P2 "Prince of Wales" with the original non-streamlined front.  I doubt if there is enough money out there in the steam preservation world to fund two completely new builds.  Maybe the Doncaster P2 group could get together with Hornby and produce a model to help raise funds - a bit like Locomotion and the National Railway Museum have done with Bachmann over several locos.

Hi Doc,You "might" (don't really quote me on this) but you might see one one day as a RailRoad model.

Have a look at this link: file:///C:/Users/Jeremiah/Downloads/hss_401b_class_p2_dcc.pdf

/media/tinymce_upload/d2418d3a439c85924b19a41c8a7c3589.jpg

If you look closely the weight placed in the P2 boiler is shaped like an A4 rather that the current one. That's probably a clue.

Well spotted, JBM.

As for the 4-6-2 rebuilds, I'd go for one of those as well.  In fact, if Hornby were really crafty, they could probably use one chassis for all three classes of Thompson A2, and with some clever design maybe the tooling could be adapted to cater for all three body styles.  Note that I said clever design, not "design clever", which my Uxbridge English Dictionary defines as "moulded handrails just like old Tri-ang models ".

Incidentally, some people think that the Thompson Pacifics were a bit ugly.  I can only think that this is because the cylinders were set further back rather than between the bogie wheels, as they look pretty much like typical LNER locos in every other respect.  What do others think about them appearance wise?

Yes indeed would be nice to see the Bugati nosed P2 as well as the original pair. Of course the simplest at the moment is the second engine as it had the conventional Walschaert/Gresley conjugated motion, along with blinkers as the exhaust was softer than that of 2001.

I'd also like the 4-6-2 version of the P2s. There's an element of 'ugly charm' about them. I think the ugly bit springs from the cylinder position which makes them appears excessively long. This was due to Thompson's wish to have connecting rods on the inside and outside cylinders the same length.

If a Thompson 'Pacific' was produced that would mean all 4-6-2 tender engines were available, apart from 'Great Bear', which is ugly without the charm. I'm now packing to leave the country!!!

Why pack? There are GW fanatics overseas as well, you may run but you will not hide!!  I can get away with it because as a Southern enthusiast so I am regarded as beyond all hope, an object of pity  and a good target for ridicule!

Why pack? There are GW fanatics overseas as well, you may run but you will not hide!!  I can get away with it because as a Southern enthusiast so I am regarded as beyond all hope, an object of pity  and a good target for ridicule!

Actually a good written description of a Southern fan. I'll have to remember that !!

I'd also like the 4-6-2 version of the P2s. There's an element of 'ugly charm' about them. I think the ugly bit springs from the cylinder position which makes them appears excessively long. This was due to Thompson's wish to have connecting rods on the inside and outside cylinders the same length.

If a Thompson 'Pacific' was produced that would mean all 4-6-2 tender engines were available, apart from 'Great Bear', which is ugly without the charm. I'm now packing to leave the country!!!

Actually there are a couple of other LNER pacifics not yet mentioned - Thompson's A1 rebuild of Great Northern (I'd buy one of those), and Sir Vincent Raven's NE A2, of which 5 (I think) were made, but which were scrapped in the 30s so never made it into BR days (less likely to sell in good numbers).  They were quite elegant but not as sleek or as powerful as Gresley's A1.

• 11 months later...

There is still a group in Doncaster planning to re-create a P2 with Bugatti front for real. Not heard anything from them recently but I was tapped up by them for a donation at the York toyfair earlier this year!

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have the model of the origional 2001 and noticed that the smokebox forward is a separate part... maybe hornby plan to just put a new nose on.

When I saw this thread just now, I was about to post exactly the same comment. With the 'pull off' front end and A4-shaped weight, it would see Hornby at least gave itself the option.

Thane of Fife in Bugatti-nose form, in fictitional BR express blue and numbered 60505 might help in a small way to erase the memories of the hideous A2/2 butchering!

• 3 years later...

Hornby does have the option to do all the different 'Bugatti' fronted LNER locomotives.

They have the A4 of course,

Then there is the possibility of the P2, they have a chassis to adapt,

and let's not forget the B17/5 for the Great Eastern section, would fit on the Sandringham chassis would it not?