What's on your workbench?

81F

Within the now quite substantial collection of locomotives I have are a childhood favourite, D421 Class 50 - don't remember the specific locomotive, just several of the Class, and loved seeing them - and their abilities.

'Hoovers' as they were nick-named, were one of those earlier diesels capable of 100mph operational maximum speed.

My model has always been super-smooth and capable of 'prototypical scale speeds' without too much of a problem, with decent loads - 11 coaches say.

It does have so much 'Super Detail', odd items can become a little loose occasionally and one of those pesky buffer ladders was annoying me.

Easiest access was by removing the body - which is unusually easy for a Hornby model - simply unclip the orange 'cables' front and back, then the body unclips off - easy.

I thought whilst attending to the ladder, I would give it a little 'moving parts clean and lube', including the motor, shafts, worms and axles ...

The difference was STUNNING!!

What was a pretty fantastic locomotive has gone beyond the next level - absolutely fantastic. Huge hauling power hasn't changed, but it's even smoother, crawling even better, even more 'silent', and when opened up, must approach my Super Detail Virgin HST!!  VERY FAST now, but still near silent - amazing!

I did this same thing to 2x Heljans I have - a 35 Hymek and 52 Western.

Biggest difference was observed with the Western - smoother than before, capable of near-crawl starts and not far off the same maximum as the Class 50!!

Just shows, even when you think it's not necessarily, a little TLC can go a LONG way.

Al.

My number two Tri-ang "Lord of the Isles" (which cost me £47 last year against number one's £7.13  the year before) showed no sign of life now although it ran well a few weeks ago. I found it was fitted with a Seuthe smoke unit and this may have been the trouble through leaking.

Dismantling the motor was a real "schweinhund" of a job and there was nothing I could find on YT to help. The tiny mechanicals seem to have been put together like a small fortress.

I have cleaned the really dirty commutator/media/tinymce_upload/78065bb926ff98f465b0c0c54f9ba9f5.JPG and tested the unit which is now running. I took photos of the dismantling and now have the horrible job of putting it back together  -- hopefully ! 😛  So don't be surprised if you see a desperate appeal for help. I am not sure I want to fill the Seuthe again.  Although it would be nice to see a little smoke other than from the commutator.

Continuing on the same theme, I decided to lift out my Dapol TPE Class 68.

I'd been a bit heavy on the 'sooty weathering' and decided to carefully remove some of it - I use Brasso very lightly.

Have to be careful - some manufacturers' paint is more hardy than others and I've found Dapol's can come off very easily, so managed to remove most where wanted, without (noticeably) affecting the original ... so a win!!

I also had to replace one of the (quite amazing) detailing parts, over one of the buffers - each has a step. I found it and managed to re-locate.

Next, a spot of lubrication - motor and bushings received a dab of oil, and gears a touch of 'Tamiya Ceramic grease' - tbh left-over from a build perhaps 10 years ago - which I'm using at the moment - seems to lubricate well, yet have a low viscosity, so very suitable.

Loco's running brilliantly, as anticipated - this is truly an immense model locomotive and one of those 'find a reason to purchase' ones.

Al.

Stephensons rocket, which needs a service, having arrived last week, and a Pendolum Cuckoo Clock.. Bought secondhand, only cucked, no woo. Chain off sprocket, which means it has to come out of case, to re thread. Thats my fault , cos i turnrd it upside down, without thinking.

I am building a different BMR diesel shunter with a Hornby chassis. Just needs glazing and the roof fitting now before clipping onto the chassis. Nice to have something a bit different. 

/media/tinymce_upload/f63c8a695b009e512994cacb52f927b3.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/1dc1db8ac5c01bde47e753d1a70cdb57.jpg

Fitted cab lighting to my Bachmann 25 and 40.

The 25 already has directional lighting, but I added this separately.

Decided to make both 'directional', rather than both on irrespective of direction of travel.

I realise that lighting would likely be extinguished or greatly reduced in normal operation, but I like the effect.

I've fitted a micro-plug between the (power source) chassis and the lighting to permit easy body separation.

Al.

My workbench(!!) is the end section of a model railway board which sits nicely above my control panel. As the picture depicts, it currently has the Wykeham Station building, which has just had some Woodland Scenics people, who depending which way you attach them, are either going up or down the steps. The bus has just had a passenger positioned on the rear platform with his hand on the vertical bar found on buses. There is also a selection of Merit gutters, drain pipes etc., which have just had a coat of grey primer (applied in the garage) before painting and fitting to the station. I applied "flashing" to the station roof yesterday. There is a selection of self-adhesive station signs, that will be mounted on thin plasticard before being attached to the wall at the station, there is also a Dapol "Home" operating Starter signal which is to be mounted at the end of the branch-line platform, all of the yard-lamps in the fiddle yard need to powered, and there are three Merchant Navy Class loco's sitting on the floor (in their boxes) awaiting re-naming and numbering. So a few jobs on the go and still to be started. Thankfully my workbench(?) is no bigger - otherwise I wouldn't be able to find anything. 😆

https://flic.kr/p/2jbQyHn

I* have just fitted a DCC chip to a second hand Lima Class 33 I bought last year which ran OK on DC. Should have been easy, which it was but found it was a poor runner after  put it back together. To make matters worse I cleaned all the wheels but found that it started to short!

I swapped the unpowered bogie with another 33 and found everything ran well. I eventually traced the problem back to the unpowered bogie which revealed that the original sprung pickup had been replaced with a lash up made of copper wire twisted around the two axles which gave poor cpnnection. To make matters worse one axel was the wrong way round. However it had been so dirty the shorting did not start until I had cleaned it!

I have now replaced the spring pickup which I took from a spare bogie obtained from ebay (oddly the bogie worked out slightly cheaper than buying the pickup from another suppler!.

My next chipping projects are a Bachmann 64XX and a Lima Class 40, followed by my other 33 (Burmah Star)

Trying to figure out why one bogie's wheels have full, free lateral movement, and the other's has odd axles stiff - on a Bachmann Class 47.

Beautiful locomotive - model and full size - one of my all-time favourites.

System is by way of clip off / on bogie base / surround.

Hoping it wasn't anything 'more extreme', I removed the cover / frame from the OK bogie and clipped it onto the 'stiff movement' one - perfect, so it's nothing worse than a simple replacement.

I've contacted Bachmann who confirm they have a spare available and its got my name on it!

Easy - wish they all were that easy.

I'll take a look and see if I can adjust the obviously deformed frame / surround to see if it can fit - still be 'a spare' if needs be in the future.

Al.

Had to do a lot of work on my Bachmann Class 25 today.

It's a late-model one with a 21-pin DCC plug and directional lighting, but I had also just fitted some cab lighting as well - not everyone's cup of tea, but I like it.

This model is a really lovely one, nice detailing, and runs very well, normally ... but was starting to make some strange noises.

I had purchased 2nd hand last year for 'a good price', so had probably been a very busy locomotive on somebody else's track for a while.

Dismantling, it's near impossible to acess the motor unless the main chassis frame is removed, then that's when age and fatigued soldering came to the fore - wires separating, so I decided to dismantle all, clean up, then lubricate, and hope I could solder up where necessary, to the right points as well ....

Amazingly, I managed to figure everything out, and after the clean and lube, it's running nicely again, all lighting working as well.

Al.

Cheers BB.

It's a lovely little locomotive, so was frustrating to see it in pieces, with 'wires everywhere' ... each time I came home from work.

It was obviously something which at best would take over one hour, possibly 3, so not a 'mid-week job'.

TBH I had to guess where to solder the motor wires, so it could have been fully assembled and going backwards!!  The general paperwork supplied indicate which way around it goes, that's all.

The dogbones were not much fun particularly as they're so short.

Bottom 2 lines:

I hadn't taken photos - which I should have!!

It's working as well as ever, and no nasty noises, for now.

Al.

Wykeham station building is currently off the layout and on the workbench(?), I have added some people on the steps and some bollards, also some BR posters. The people are Woodland Scenics and the pack is described as "Taking the Stairs" - so the feet are in the right positions for going up or down steps/stairs. They are HO scale but seem to fit in with the Scenecraft people. I have been trying to add a little more detail, such as timetable boards etc. I need more people - a work in progress. https://flic.kr/p/2jdAy3B

While struggling to solve running problems with my Southern N15 "Sir Dinadan" I noticed a similar very cheap one on EBay with horribly dirty wheels and not confirmed to be a runner. So I bought it for a bit of fun to see if I could rescue it. After only 50 minutes I had it running even better than my original, including snail-like crawl, which cost me 3 times more in 2015.  So all ended well. The colour is matt as opposed to the earlier one's gloss green. Maybe now I need a different name plate. Beware of fakes !!

I'm one of those who can't stand an excellent-looking steam locomotive which has a funnel / chimney which stops at the boiler.

Hornby generally have the hole through, which is nice, but many Bachmann don't - just glued on top - giving all of the options of course.

One which needed those production options was the 4MT Ivatt mogul 2-6-0 - lovely little model.

I drilled through, carefully I thought, but not enough - I caught the DCC blanking plate - hadn't removed the body - hadn't realised how to to be honest - there's a tiny additional screw, hidden in a recess within the chassis plate, under the brake rigging ... another story.

Bottom line is 4 months ago, I caused some irreparable damage to the power board, so it required replacement.

I hadn't priced up Bachmann, who aren't that expensive, but preferred to resolve it myself.

I found a 'donor' chassis, actually off an A1 (spares for my Tornado as well) and received it yesterday - job for more time / patience I thought ....

Impatient Al strikes again, and it's fully operational again - sorted as they say.

Very pleased, as it's another 'favourite' of mine.

Al.

Need to do a little work on a Bachmann Class 37 and was surprised to find it had sprung opening doors - so it's not just Hornby doing that.

TBH they're so well aligned I'd never have found out without having a need to open her up!!

One of the lit cab lights had blown, so testing it I managed to blow the other end as well, as you do!

By total coincidence, I have aftermarket cab lighting I can replace with ... investigations in progress.

Al.

Got stuck into the Bachmann EWS 37 with the cab lighting issue.

I know, we should figure out a 'light glow' from the instruments, not a glaring cab light - not safe when in the real world!!

Managed to juggle the extra wiring into the locomotive, remove those no longer required - blown lamps / circuits - and it all works perfectly, this time with 'directional cab lighting' just as it isn't in real, but looks good!!

Al.

I have just added crew to one of my Adams 0-4-4 Class O2 loco's. This is a lovely little loco - modelled as a special commision between Kernows and DJModels. I am now deliberating whether to fit sound. The instructions on the Bromsgrove site make it look fairly straightforward! I am also considering whether to buy another one!

The main station building has been rewired inside the base - some of the wire looked a little "flimsy" - it's about to go back on the layout. I have fitted six lamp posts along the street - they stlll need to be wired.  The pavements in the town area have been "dirtied". That's about it for now.

BASINGSTOKE 1958-67. - ON THE WORKBENCH.

A 1966 "Container" type Bournemouth line substation, under construction.

/media/tinymce_upload/f9f106857072c725727f5897c8ceb6ca.jpg

Above: The basic "container" type concrete panel structure about 90% complete. Still to make are the two transformers. One of which went outside each end of the building. Also the numerous cables that went to the tracks alongside. All built using "Slaters" Plasticard of various thicknesses. The roof is not flat but slightly inclinded.  

Few people will be aware that these substations, installed between "Sturt Lane Junction", Farnborough and Bournemouth, actually provided a slightly enhanced voltage of 800v DC. This was to help cater for the draw of the then new 3,200hp 4REP EMU's & their "juicy" (pun intended) Restaurant car.  All Post 1951 EMU types could accept 800v DC without problem. Pre-1951 EMU types however, could only traverse this line with heating and lighting fuses removed. So could only run as Empty Coaching Stock (ECS). For example going to or from Eastleigh works for overhaul.

The Duke 71000 

Good work there with the sub-station.

Minor disaster for me this evening.

Set my Dapol 68 off at ~60mph scale speed with the 13-car TEA tanker train I have on the test 'circle' of 4th radius track ... bit of amusement and in no-one's way.

Always like to return and see a train circulating ... so left for the 'evening exercise'.

When I returned, all was static, power still on, nothing moving, 'hot smell' from the locomotive - weighs 700g straight out of the box so at lower power there won't be wheelspin ...

A coupling had been pulled out of the NEM socket of one of the tankers, loco bumped - not 'smashed', too melodramatic and no physical / visible damage.

Even through the body - and thick, metal sub-chassis - the 68 was pretty warm.

Replaced correctly onto the track, NOTHING!

I removed, removed the body - clip on, so easy - then hoped the 'worst case' would be the motor - PCB has too many wires for my fledgling soldering skills - and small distancing between separated connections!

Access to the still-warm motor is easy - unscrew the PCB retaining screws, plastic 'shim brace' and speaker mount, and up lifts the PCB, out can lift the motor.

I 'desoldered' the motor, to test separately - still thinking the problem might be the PCB.

I tested the motor, and it turns over, from typical low power, up to full, but the 'sound' was like it was arcing, not revving super high, just not sounding right.

I placed the chassis, still with PCB fully wired in, but without the motor, to test the lighting - perfect - phew!

I re-soldered the motor, replaced the dogbones, and tried out the locomotive - running from normal 'just starting' power, so connected to the tankers, and pulls without problem.

Speed when cranked just isn't right, so I ordered a replacement from Agents DCC and a replacement 'shim brace' - it was quite substantially deformed ...

Replacements in the post tomorrow, arriving within a few days' time.

Pity, and an expense I could do without, but it could have been a lot worse ... half full as they say!!

Al.

Atom 3624 & the Quintinshill Disaster !

Al 

So the loco crashed into the rear of the TEA wagons and this somehow caused the loco to be stuck stationery, but with power still on. Very very nasty.   

The loco weighs a whooping 700g. And the encased motor has no air cooling possible ?

700g weight puts a hugely increased drag on the still rotating wheels. The resistance caused by the loco being forcibly stopped while under power, rapidly heats up the motor. The motor windings begin to melt.  Motor looses power. Stops and begins to overheat more.

The odd noise may even indicate that the bearings at one or both ends of the motor had distorted in the metal motor casing. The motor "shim brace" then begins to melt !  Sounds like a Quintinshill disaster waiting to happen........

Quinitinshill - Britains worst train disaster. Could this happen on your layout ????

Terrifying, the Quintinshill disaster of around August 1900 (Not as many state 1915). As it was the 2nd Boer War (South Africa) that the troops were going too. Good details in the Pan paperback book "Red for Danger", which takes you through the disaster almost minute by minute, like a Hollywood suspense thriller.  

"And the 4 trains burnt for three days, and over 256 souls persished in the inferno. And the citizens of Lockerbie walked 3 miles across the moors to stare in horror". There was no road access so no fire brigade.

And it was all due to one of the Train Guards not carrying out "Section K" of the rule book properly. He was too busy drinking tea and nattering in the signalbox. 

Train 1: A Double headed 45 wagon loaded coal train parked in the loop.

Train 2: Local 3-coach passenger train headed by 1 loco, shunted temporarily onto the wrong line (Stationary).

Train 3: The Double headed northbound overnight "Scotch Express" (lighting just re-tanked with gas) going flat out.

Train 4: A Double headed southbound Military train with a Regiment of troops for the Boer war, going flat out.

Train 4 going flat out hits stationary Train 2. Train 3 then runs into the wreckage a few seconds later, & swerves into Train 1, spilling coal wagons everywhere. The 7 locos involved guarantee a fire starts. The burning coaches cause the lighting gas tanks to begin exploding, which helps to ignite the hundreds of tons of coal thrown everywhere, and the whole lot burns for 3 days. The total number of deaths is never proven as all the paperwork for the Regiment is on board and everything consumed by fire. Only those who were thrown clear or managed to stagger out of the wreckage before fire engulfed them survived.      

The cause of the crash was so insignificant and the result so disastrous, that its detail was still being used to help teach train crew until the end of the BR era.    

Al your loco had a lucky escape !!!!

The Duke 71000