Morris Minor/traveller/van etc

Rogerbass

" It is just a shell and I fully intend on raiding my parts box for a big old V8 ," 

And why not? Back in the day one of my mates put a "Rover 3_500 engine" (ex Buick) in a real Morris Minor, with minimal other visible modifications.

I've recently completed a Ford 100E from the same lot . These things are a fight all the way to build even in tabletop form with tons of scratch building ,filing , straightening ( it was a different length either side ) and things like door shut lines were out of proportion as was the Bottom 10mm . But it still happened simply because bar starting from nothing it was my only option. Still waiting for the Minor but it would be such a universally likeable kit . It was the UK's people's car , it's cute like it or not, and more importantly it's many things to many people including to folks who modify stuff ./media/tinymce_upload/7c4bd5e2d7ca80534b116b99f25f7561.jpg

OK I will shut up about it now . 

Have you guys considered the number of 1/32nd scale and 1/43rd scale models of road cars available on the slot car market?  I habe recently done quite a few patterns for, for instance, AC Ace, AC Aceca Coupe, Lotus Europa, Lotus Elite.  I have also done, recently, a Rover SD1 and a Mk 3 Capri, a Triumph Dolomite, Piper GTT and a Trident Venturer V6, so you really do have a nice selection to pick from.  But they are not Airfix current prices. They vary from AA Bodies at about £17 to George Turner's stuff at up to £40. And, being slot cars, they have no interior with a few exceptions, but they tend to be racing cars (a Howmet turbine I did recently has a full interior).

In 1/43rd scale, a very new scale to slot racing, there are people re-popping die-casts and old white metal models in resin. I have built and run 43rds and they are great fun and not much slower than 1/32nds and the range available is vast!  Wheels, inserts and tyres are also available for both scales.

I am at present engaged on reworking an Airfix Frogeye Sprite into an accurate basis for re-pops so that I can produce a Sebring and a Lenham at least. Possibly also an Ashley.  A while back I did a Speedwell Sprite and I made a Mk 2 Sprite and a Midget from scratch, for Penelope Pitlane, which are now sold by Pendle Slotracing.  I should point out for anyone interested with a Frogeye that Airfix made a booboo with the width. It should be 43.6mm. It actually measures 40!  I've run 2 cuts up twixt frogeyes and wings as the grille is the right size. Add 1.5mm in each, fill and carry on.  I then added a single band of 3.5 mm in the back panel. Add Milliput, cook and file smooth.

Cheers,

Martin

Cheers,

Martin

• 2 weeks later...

I just suggested (or asked for) a Jaguar Mk2 on the Scalextric forum. Obvioulsy, I'd appreciate a 1/32 version from Airfix as well. It does seem that some truly great British saloons, like the Mk2 and the Minor, don't appear as models nearly as much as they should.

I appreciate Scratchbuilder's points (above). Some independents such as George Turner's models are brilliant quality; however several others are not so great even when they cost a lot.

I think we all agree on a Jaguar Mk2 for Scalextric and Airfix, but for a starter it would be great if Airfix re-released the Jaguar 420 if it still exists but we are never told,

it would fit well in the ' Vintage classics' range.

• 6 months later...

Somewhere on the site there's a whole thread about the (sorry but) awful Morris Minor.

Personal feelings aside though, I guess it just isn't economcially viable otherwise - arguably - other manufacturers would have pickedeup on it. Tamiya did with the Mini and Jaguar after all.

It also ties in with customer bases and demographics and who these days would remember the things, let alone want to buy a kit of the wretched car!

(stands by for bottles being thrown)

I don't doubt the popularity of the car in the wider world, Rogerbass, there are any number of die-casts testament to that. But as a model kit? Personally I'm not convinced.

That said, I think you're right in the sense that properly designed any number of variants could be produced from the moulds. Would it though at the end of the day be in Airfix's best interests to spend so many thousands on research and development which is is, nowadays, an obscure car fondly remembered by a few? It wouldn't be unusual of course, after all the Sea Vixen and Walrus - though very very welcome - were offbeat enough.

Airfix themselves have dabbled with car kits, albeit in 1/32, though that was decades ago and of subjects relevant at the time. Some of those whilst not strange choices, were unusua even for the timel (Maxi, Victor, Marina) rather than say other supercars. I would imagine that even if they were to gamble, they would have to consider 1/24 nowadays.

I am not in any way against the production of the Minor range, even if I'd never give one house room 🤐 The bottom line is though, it would have to be commercially viable and to that end, would it sell in sufficient numbers?

There speaks an unbiased moderator, but wouldn't it be an interesting challenge to create a front cab model that would accept mutiple rear sections.

We Mods are all independant of Airfix and Hornby. We all have our favourite genres. Just because David doesn't share yours, doesn't make him a bad person.

• 2 years later...
Now that Airfix seem to be rediscovering cars, starting with a new Jaguar E Type (albeit in 1:43 scale) perhaps the idea of a Morris Minor is worth thinking about…?

Revell Made one in the 1960's, if there is no re-box after a 2 year production run I would guess it's not viable.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The Wallace and Grommet Austin Van did very well, and I see lots of these at shows, built up in numerous ways, so I reckon a larger scale Morris Minor Traveller would be a really popular addition to the range. They are still so popular, and actually quite common at car shows. In 1/24th they would be great for detailing. In 1/48th they would be excellent for little vignettes with some other Airfix kits, such as the Tiger Moth and Chipmunk.

• 2 weeks later...
The Wallace and Grommet Austin Van did very well, and I see lots of these at shows, built up in numerous ways, so I reckon a larger scale Morris Minor Traveller would be a really popular addition to the range. They are still so popular, and actually quite common at car shows. In 1/24th they would be great for detailing. In 1/48th they would be excellent for little vignettes with some other Airfix kits, such as the Tiger Moth and Chipmunk.

Yes, a good comparison. A certain French kit maker whose name we must not mention has done well with the Citroen 2CV and variants…

• 4 weeks later...