The Changing Face of Thomas

HI, Could you please list the waggons you have from the thomas Range.Just to see if I am missing any.Very hard to find what and when Hornby  had produced for the  Thomas range.The modelzone thomas was r number R9104.It is the box and instructions that are important.No certificate came with the Loco. You could make your own relatively cheaply by taking face off The Discovery set one and put it on any China made thomas with correct Copyright year on the chassis.

Here is a list below of the Hornby Thomas & Friends Wagons that I owns. The only one I am missing is the R105 Red Tidmouth Milk Tanker, from the 1980's. No other wagon is missing from my collection, that has ever been produced.

Hornby Thomas & Friends Freight Rolling Stock I Own:

1. R104 Cattle Wagon (x3)

2. R105 Tidmouth Milk Tanker (Light Blue) (1997) (x3)

3. R105 Tidmouth Milk Tanker (Dark Blue) (2012) (x3)

4. R107 Open Wagon (x3)

5. R108 Closed Van (x3)

6. R109 Brake Van

7. R306 Breakdown Crane

8. R9006 Tar Tanker (x3)

9. R9053 Troublesome Truck 1

10. R9054 Troublesome Truck 2

11. R9055 Sodor Fuel Tanker (x3)

12. R9056 Sodor Scrap Co. Wagon (x3)

13. R9068 S.C. Ruffey Wagon

14. R9093 Circus Wagon Pack of 3

15. R9094 Circus Wagon Pack of 3

16. R9200 Ex-GWR Brake Van 'Toad'

17. R9202 Brake Van - Grey

18. R9203 Cattle Wagon (x3)

19. R9204 Raspberry Syrup Tanker

20. R9205 Ice Cream Van

21. R9206 Cream Tanker

22. R9207 Circus Van

23. R9208 Circus Van

24. R9209 Circus Van

25. R9213 Circus Cattle Wagon (x3)

26. R9214 Circus Flatbed No. 1

27. R9215 Circus Flatbed No. 2

28. R9216 Large Breakdown Crane

29. R9233 Oil Tanker (x3)

30. R9234 Red Open Wagon (x3)

31. R9235 Light Blue Open Wagon (x3)

32. R9236 Sodor Mail Wagon (x2)

33. R9237 Cream Utility Wagon (x3)

34. R9238 Light Grey Vent Van (x3)

35. R9239 Red Oxide Vent Van (x3)

36. R9271/6 Cattle Wagon (x3)

37. R9284/3 Red Oxide Vent Van

38. R9300/1 Brake Van

39. R9300/3 Open Wagon (x3)

40. R9688 Lime Wagon - Grey (x3)

41. R9689 Lime Wagon - Brown (x3)

42. R9690 Works Unit Van

43. R9691 Breakdown Crane

44. R9705/3 Rusty Vent Van (x3)

I assure you that these are all wagons Hornby have produced. Of course, several wagon triple packshave been produced, but nearly all them containng wagons that you could buy seperetly, ehnce me not owing them.

If you want me to post a list of the Hornby Thomas & Friends Locomotives and Passenger Rolling Stock, I own, then please let me know.

I also bought my 2016 Hornby Thomas with the headlamp, at Haton's today! I love it!

Also, to any moderator: Please delete my above post. Thank you.

The smiling Annie was produced in the 1980's, about the same time the batch of Red Tidmouth Tankers surfaced the shops. Back then, all rolling stock were fitted with plastic wheels. It was only until the early 2000's that metal wheels came into play; Or this case, roll!

In answer to your question, no I don't own a smiling Annie and I don't want to. I own a late 1990's R110 Annie and R112 Clarabel, the 2008 muddy Annie and Clarabel that came in my R9260 Thomas & The Great Discovery Train Set and last but not least, my 2016 R9293 Annie and Clarabel, that I bought yesterday (17/02/2017), that I bought at Hatton's.

I feel that these three different versions of Annie and Clarabel I own, is enough.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, Just bought R9300 Thomas Wagon Triple Pack A.I noticed that the R107 open wagon in pack is now a 7 plank wagon and not the 5 plank wagon as previouse issues.Also the brake van has not got a number on it unlike the earlier issues.This pack is now discontinued Quite hard to find./media/tinymce_upload/6fe4ad9971d5d1e0bd34494c3753c29f.JPG/media/tinymce_upload/47d777774c29c320fc53ebac375da34b.JPG/media/tinymce_upload/416e953b9749fbd0df1d357a34a35f58.JPG/media/tinymce_upload/f6cc2cd45aae116c17b17259ad74b3ff.JPG

I could of told you that, new lad on block. That is why last year, I bought three triple packs, of R9300, because of course, I need x3 of these Open Wagon's using the 7 Plank Open Wagon tooling. I bought one pack from Gaugemaster, through Amazon.co.uk and another two packs from a small model shop in Newton-le-Willows, called Sawyer Models, on their website.

I am going to be keep one of the Brake Van's from R9300, as it is differnt to the original brown Brake Van released (R109) and I will be selling the other two on eBay, ver soon, hopefully! I will also be selling the three Sodor Scrap Co. Wagon's on eBay, as I have x3 of them originally sold sepertely (R9056) and I don't want anymore. I will be selling the boxes and the plastic inserts, as well.

• 1 month later...

Matt, there's actually been twelve (yes, TWELVE!) different versions of Thomas since his release in 1985. I'm not sure how to best describe his different faces and small livery changes but I'll try!

- Pre-production version with rounded cabs, short chimney and grey 'clown' face. (Red bunker lining.)

- First public version with grey 'clown' face. (Red bunker lining.) This was the same as the pre-production version but with the squarer cab and taller chimney that we're now used to.

- Second version with grey 'flat' face. (Red bunker lining.) This was Hornby's second attempt at getting Thomas's face to look right, but still wasn't very good in my opinion...

- Third version with grey 'cheeky' face. (Red bunker lining.) This was a step in the right direction but still not perfect.

- Fourth version with grey 'standard' face. (Red bunker lining.) This was the beginning of the use of the longest running design of face Hornby used over the years.

- Fifth version with white 'standard' face. (Red bunker lining.) This was identical to the fourth version except the face was white instead of grey.

- Sixth version with white 'standard' face. (No bunker lining.) This was identical to the fifth version but with the red bunker lining removed to match Thomas's current (at the time) television appearance.

- Seventh version with beige 'standard' face. (No bunker lining.) This was identical to the sixth version except the face was beige instead of white. In my opinion this was the best face Hornby have ever done for Thomas himself.

- Eighth version with 'puffed out' face. (No bunker lining.) This was a limited edition for Model Zone.

- Ninth version with 'puffed out' face and mud splatterings. (No bunker lining.) This was from the Thomas & The Great Discovery set and came with a mud-splattered Annie & Clarabel, a weathered red open wagon with brick load and a weathered blue open wagon with wood load.

- Tenth version with 'CGI' face and white running board. (No bunker lining.) This is the CURRENT Thomas in the Hornby range, and his shade of blue is considerably lighter than it has been in previous years.

- Eleventh version with 'CGI' face, white running board and metallic blue paint. (No bunker lining.) This was a limited edtion model from Hornby recently, and very nice it is too!

It should also be noted that Thomas's shade of blue has varied over the years too, from being a bit turquoisy on some early models to the beautiful sky blue that he is now, and a lot darker on models in between!

Hope this is of some help!

This could do with some alteration now. The 1995 0-4-0 Thomas has been missed out and the 2016 Thomas with the headlamp has been missed out too, so I wil add them in.

- Pre-production version with rounded cabs, short chimney and grey 'clown' face. (Red bunker lining.)

- First version with grey 'clown' face. (Red bunker lining.) This was the same as the pre-production version but with the squarer cab and taller chimney that we're now used to.

- Second version with grey 'flat' face. (Red bunker lining.) This was Hornby's second attempt at getting Thomas's face to look right, but still wasn't very good in Sir Topham Hatt's opinion...

- Third version with grey 'cheeky' face. (Red bunker lining.) This was a step in the right direction but still not perfect.

- Fourth version with grey 'standard' face. (Red bunker lining.) This was the beginning of the use of the longest running design of face Hornby used over the years.

- Fifth version with white 'standard' face. (Red bunker lining.) This was identical to the fourth version except the face was white instead of grey.

- Sixth version with white 'standard' face. (Red bunker lining.) This was a repainted 0-4-0 locomotive, which was a very odd why Hornby did this. It was only found in three different train sets (R883, R9000 and R9007).

- Seventh version with white 'standard' face. (No bunker lining.) This was identical to the fifth version but with the red bunker lining removed to match Thomas's current (at the time) television appearance.

Eighth version with beige 'standard' face. (No bunker lining.) This was identical to the sixth version except the face was beige instead of white. In my opinion this was the best face Hornby have ever done for Thomas himself.

Ninth version with 'puffed out' face. (No bunker lining.) This was a limited edition of 500 models only, for ModelZone.

Tenth version with 'puffed out' face and mud splatterings. (No bunker lining.) This was from the Thomas & The Great Discovery set and came with a mud-splattered Annie & Clarabel, a weathered red open wagon with brick load and a weathered blue open wagon with wood load.

Eleventh version with 'CGI' face and white running board. (No bunker lining.) Thomas' blue is shade of blue is considerably lighter than it has been in previous years.

- Tweflth version with 'CGI' face, white running board and metallic blue paint. (No bunker lining.) This was a limited edtion model from Hornby recently, and very nice it is too!

- Thirteenth version with 'CGI' face and white running board, with an additional headlamp on his footplate. (No bunker lining.) Thomas' blue is shade of blue is considerably lighter than it has been in previous years. This is the current standard version of Thomas in production.

• 1 year later...

@New lad on block; Posted at 21:06:20 Thu, 19 Jan 2017; Approved/Moved at 09:12:04 Fri, 20 Jan 2017

I don't usually revive old topics back alive and it's not something that I encourage to anybody to do.

While re-reading this topic again, I am across a post by new lad on block, with a 2016 made R9288 Percy, with unpainted yellow window grills and surround, on the rear of Percy's cab. I have a 2016 made R9288 Percy and mine has the window suround and grills painted yellow. Perhaps you have a factory error, new lad on block.

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello There, i know this topic has been dead for a while but i just thought i'd throw in a video i made with John's Amazing Trains, in which we show off all of the OO models produced (as of then) thus farplus, i did find the thread useful when looking up the variations thanks to the images by new lad on block, so it only seems fitting i post this here: 

EDIT: due to recent-ish events, i'm no longer in contact with john, and won't be ever again, some will already know why, but i'll not get into it here, not the place for it

Archived