Using a QSI decoder with the Elite

Dazzler down under

Dazzler.........I noticed a new thread today in HornbyDCC re TTS decoder CV150-154 to which Chrissaf responded with a link to Tony's Trains which you may find useful to read, particularly this para..........

QSI Industries

The new release level 7 (also the upgrade) of the QSI decoders has a very sophisticated four level speed control using Back-Emf and PID. Information on setting up the PID CVs is in the DCC Reference Manual version 4.0. Version 7 is the new upgraded chip available from QSI Solutions. A new page manual can be downloaded from QSI Solutions web site. The setup information can be found starting on page 170 to page 175. There are some good hints on tuning PID parameters. The CV values in these (upgrade) chips have been established by running a number of sample locomotives. As locomotive wear and due to manufacturing differences, some locomotive performance may be improved by re-tuning the CV values.

Daz already said CV7 reads value 7 so he is at the latest revision it would appear.

I can't agree with QSI reported comments later in this thread that the Elite is at fault. Not only is it designed and built to NMRA reqs but it has been tested by them and issued with a compliancy warrant. That doesnt happen unless it passes all their test. Sounds to me like QSI making excuses for their oddly complex decoder.

Rob

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I can bring this thread to a close, there has been no fix. After contacting Eureka models, QSI solutions and Hornby they all wanna blame each other. Funny how the loco works on 2 other DCC systems and won't work with the elite. I've given up trying to run this loco it's just too frustrating I'll box it back up and sell it I think. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Fireman Ian. Are you able to give a suggestion as to a sensible value to start with or what the available range might be? It is appreciated that Dazzler will have a certain amount of trial and error to go through, but if this works that will be fantastic - and a great testament to the power of the forum. R-

Should Ian's suggestion solve my problem I think the mods should change the title of this thread to Using a QSI decoder with the elite so it's easier for others to find in the search once this thread gets lost because if this suggestion works it's a handy piece of information indeed and may save other QSI users many months of angst if they manage to find this thread.

Ok, just got a call from my mate, he has both the powercab and the elite. On the PC the loco worked fine, on his elite he had the same problems I've had, so he reset the decoder using the PC and it now runs perfect with the elite. Something so simple, I couldn't reset the decoder on my elite due to corruption issues and RM didn't recognise the decoder so I couldn't do it there either but by all accounts my mate got it working with a simple reset.

its  a lovely model choralc, although I model British outline I still had to have me a 3801. I figure if I wanted I can run it next to my flying Scotsman and relive the moment that sparked my love for steam engines as a kid when the Scotsman came here for a visit for our bicentenary and was double headed with 3801. Ah the memories.

• 1 month later...

Archived