Help with Track Layout ?

JonRussell

Hi,

I have a Scalextric layout I've had for a few years I bought from eBay. Its 40 odd sections.

When I bought it I was given a hand drawn layout, which I've been using fine.

I've recently bought some extra sections (e.g. a lap counter, etc) and wanted to find some software to layout the track digitally so I could play with some new layouts.

But when I created my layout in the software, it doesn’t line up ?

So, three questions :
1) Can someone confirm if this layout is incorrect and doesn’t actually line up. i.e. I'm forcing it in to a non-standard configuration.

2) What track layout software should I be using? Which is the most popular ?

3) Is there any software that I can enter all the track sections I have and it automagically lays out tracks that fit using those sections ?

Thanks !

Regards,

Jon.

1. No idea about what you have on the software, but in general with the right track pieces it should line up very close. There is no "snap to" to close off the designs which is a bad thing but it is all I have seen. In practical terms make sure all the track bits are laid out absolutely flat with no knocks this way or that. If you have 4 45 degree bends the next bit of track should be exactly paralllel to the first bit if you get my drift. If after laying it all out it comes to within say a 1/4 inch of alignment then fine. If it is say nearly 1/2" inch out then you need some special short straights to tweak the layout until it does close.

2. Any track layout is fine just use what you have to suit your taste or mood!

3. There is no magical software to give you layouts of the track you hold. - In fact I rarely use the software except to get the general idea of what I want then tweak the actual to suit the room size and shape. I put the bridge supports in last of all.

Have a read of the following thread

https://www.scalextric.com/uk-en/forum/dont-discontinue-the-short-straight-c8236/?

Well according to scalextric's track designer it nearly works if the crossroads are replaced by straights forming an elevated bridge (Not the set bridge piece). But does not line up with a crossroads track. Reason is the crossroads are not standard straight length but a bit longer so it pushes the larger part of the circuit away in vertical and horizontal directions .ie 409mm vs 350mm so 59mm out both ways. I say nearly works because the straight above the straight lanechange would overlap with a bridge using standard straights

You need to redesign

According to my maths 2 x (59 squared) = 6962

Square root of 6962 = 83.4

The C8200 is the 87 so just 3.6mm out but enough give in the circuit to put that in between the last two bends approaching the powerbase.

To add a couple of points.

I hate the crossroads track as it is one way to break you cars hitting at 90 degrees to one another.

From a digital point of view any track with sensors in it is better placed so you don't have a bend immediately before it. Reason why is if the tail hangs out on exiting the bend the cars' LED might miss the sensor, in your case that might mean a missed lap count!

Wow !

Thanks, that's really helpful !

I'm also in two minds about the cross over, but it's what I have. I have had a couple of collisions, but it kind of makes it more exciting. :-) In fact, the only times the cars have broken so far is coming off at the corners and smashing in to the walls.

I understand about the power base. It also gets moved a lot, same for the lap counter, as depending on which room I setup the track, depends where I can sit, and therefore, the power base and lap counter get moved to different sections of the track each time. I'll make sure I try and move them away from the corners.

I might buy a couple of straights and try a bridge, and I'll buy a couple of short straights to fix the gap issue too.

I can remove two straights from the top section and put them in the bottom section and move the start finish straight further away from the touching straight, so there's no interference.

Thanks again for your help and advice.

Regards,

Jon.

Given on a digital track cars can share a lane I don't think the crossroads poses any greater threat to crashes than any lane changing track piece does. We use them (sometimes even 2) a lot. The trick is to have some straights before the cars enter the crossroads so that drivers have time to brake if they want to avoid crashes.

Hello,

If you buy a bridge, make sure you consider how elevation effect your track designs. In my design there you see that the track doesn't connect, however then laid out they match my perfectly. that is due because the north section is elevated by five inches. 

/media/tinymce_upload/dd54daae059a87528b655f716360cc9d.png

Have Fun

Silv

Admin edit: Removed advertising/promotion.

Archived