Problems since 1.43 elite update

Dazzler down under

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, it wouldnt solve anything, its the last  2 digits that disapear, eventually i end up with 1 digit so unless i only wanna use 9 out of 30 locos but in any case its always the last   digits that disapear, so loco 0020 eventually reads 0,so in that second shot that shows address:0, the 0 represents the first 0, every loco shows 0 in the end you gotta use telepathy to figure out what loco you select. And just for the record, all my locos are addressed from 1 to 32 in single and double digits already.

Furthermore, its not just the loco screen that has the disapearing digits, its every screen,menu,loco everything, i cant even read a cv because the digits are either invisible or the screen shows a bunch of symbols.

is there a way i can make this thread into a clickable link, then i can email support and they can see the pics?

Copy this link below to your clipboard by (assuming a PC here), highlighting it with your mouse cursor and pressing "Control+C" then place your cursor in your email text window and click "Control+V".

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/problems-since-143-elite-update/?p=3/#post-197775

However that said, remember that Elite support is not HRMS, it is HCC (Hornby Customer Care). E-mail response on the HCC mail address can be weeks, going by various moans on the forum. Albeit, I have just spotted a post where the user stated that HCC responded to their email in 2 days. Seems a bit of a lottery.

RAF96 hosts earlier Elite firmware versions on his website. Look at the clickable link in the bottom signature in any of his posts to take you there.

Note however, that only 1.43 and 1.42 using the updated firmware installer are problem free. The earlier (1.41 and below) firmwares used the earlier firmware installer that gave lots of issues when trying to install using a Windows PC later than Win 7 (even some Win 7 PCs gave problems for some users). Basically, the firmware update would fail and brick the Elite. Many bricked Elites were sent back to Hornby to be firmware recovered. If you have access to an old defunct but working XP PC, then XP will update earlier firmwares reliably without issue.

PS - Vista usually works reliably as well for most. As said at the begiining of this reply the 1.42 and 1.43 firmwares use an updated more reliable installer.

by George I think we've got it. after an hour of running trains I'm happy to report there has been no issue, no scrambling and the elite looks to have sorted itself out. But as 1 issue is solved another presents itself, my Britannia that keeps forgetting it's address has done it again, and I'm having trouble even after re addressing it, but that's an issue for another day, I'm stoked to have my elite back up to speed. Big shoutout to RAF and Chris for the time you guys have spent with me solving this problem, sending you guys a massive thank you, you blokes are legends in my book.

RAF's tip about the special diagnostic startup mode, must have reset something in the firmware. I think more by luck than judgement. But a fix is a fix all the same.

I don't know if you are doing this way. But when the loco decoder loses configuration for no apparent reason. Rather than just re-addressing it to find it gets corrupted again a short while later. I found with my corrupted R8247 decoder that it stayed stable longer if I did a factory reset first.

So basically what I am saying here. Before you readdress the lost address in the loco. Write decimal value 8 first to CV8 to perform a factory reset, then put the address you want to use back in it. If you do it that way, it may offer a small or hopefully more permanent improvement.

Thank you BTW for the kind comments. RAF and I just do it because we both want to help others to get more enjoyment from the hobby.

I will try a reset tonight Chris and see how it goes, I'll let you know.

yeah this elite issue has caused me lots of distress and really disheartened me for a while there, but as always, I come here to the forum seeking advice and you guys always seem to come up with the goods and it saves me heaps of messing about. Very much appreciate it, wish I could buy you both a beer.

Daz

Based on the pictures the screen is OK but there may be an underlying fault.

Try this...

Reset the Elite twice more from Menu>Unit>Reset, then try the Loco button test again to see if it clears the error. We are looking for EE Pass.

Failing this test again means there is a definite fault, which could have affected a small batch of Elites 5/6 years back.

Could you therefore please tell me the code stamped on the bottom of the case - something like 38/11 or 17/08.

Thanks Rob

One of them is John.

You may wish to run the LOCO button check on your in-situ one to see what your screen answer is.

It will not break it so you can assure Heather of that. Don't want to get you in any more trouble with household management.

When the check is done just switch it off and on again to return to normal operations.

Do you use the Favourites list on your Elite. If so just run through your list to see if all is well spelling wise.

Rob

Have you seen the Elite pre-order forecast John - July 2017 at best.

As long as its working then its fine, but if you start getting screen corruption and if a unit reset and the follow up test shows an error then report it to HCC.

Rob

Archived