AVRO SHACKLETON MR.2 - Interior Revealed

T2B

The photos you have provided [much sharper than mine] make it clear to me that you have got the colours correct for the interior. I was more concerned by the equipment fit. The green-screened CRTs being more associated with the AEW2. The photos, assuming they are for an MR version, show the equipment fit does not include these units, so it’s up to the individual as regards altering the kit.

Thanks very much to you for updating my reference material.

Having just read the SPT website it's still not clear. It states that WR693 started life as a late model MR.2 but during it's service career underwent 3 major rebuilds and finished it's service as a AEW.2. The photos show that the chin radar bubble has been removed as its been restored to MR.2 configuration but looks like the amended bomb bay doors are still present. The SPT also states they intend to re-instate the dorsal turret if possible.

Maybe the interior still retains some essence of the AEW.2 when Airfix had access? But to be honest I'm not that worried about it as I think it's still an excellent kit, with superb interior detail and in my opinion possibly the best on the market?

But maybe my CRT's could have been less green lol

T2B : you make some good points. When all is said & done, we do the best we can with the information available to us. That being said, you have produced an excellent model. As time goes on, we may all have better information to make a more accurate interior, but thats for the future.

I'm now at the point of gluing the two halves of the fuselage together, so before some of the interior detail is hidden forever, here are a few photos of what I've done. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I referred to pictures of the inside of WR963, which is based at Coventry Airport, but the main colour is the suggested Matt 74 in the kit rather than the cream colour in the restored aircraft. The crew seats with the kit include the ashtrays at the end of the right chair arm, so I have painted these with Metallic 11 (Silver).

I want to do a similar cut-away section to T2B, but don't know how to cut the fuselage - knife or suitable saw?/media/tinymce_upload/0b917c2bb000b17c1b3606251ee69f5b.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/a6746d9c73cd10cf2d371c8f12dddaf0.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/25f0cc17027cbfce67e46c61b0392762.jpg

Shackman

At the time of my build I didn't own a razor saw so I used my Stanley knife with a new blade, and mainly followed existing panel lines. But where I had a turn or corner, I drilled a pin hole with a twist drill before starting the cutting. 

If you can wait till tomorrow night when I'm home from work I'll take some pictures of the cut away to post, especially along the floor edge hidden by the wing section?

T2B

That's great. Thank you for the very prompt response, and I look forward to seeing the pictures of the cut-away. I had done some research online and thought a saw looked the most likely method, but was wondering how on earth a saw manages to go round corners, so I will try the Stanley knife and use the drill for any corners.

Cut away pictures, but don't look too closely as I didn't realise how a close up with a really good phone camera can show all the imperfections  🤔  .......

/media/tinymce_upload/9d3498d0ad25eff251c911dd6a2d8468.jpg

I cut the lower line just above the fuselage floor and effectively around the wing spars.

/media/tinymce_upload/15211f4757f0772a3276edf5220c7611.jpg

I had to cut the upper fuselage section like an upside down T as I still wanted to retain some rigid panelling around the turret fitting and the astrodome.

/media/tinymce_upload/7a8f3cb59af1dfc633d52862fe57eff6.jpg

I retained 1 of the pin/hole location points on the upper fuselage central joint line to help hold the 'removable panel' in place when the cut-away wasn't on display.

/media/tinymce_upload/ad8ccc6063a559a910af50c014d63c1d.jpg 

Finally once the panel is replaced, the wing can be slotted onto the wing spars and this holds the panel in situ so that the model looks undisturbed. The wing to wing spars are a neat fit so I haven't cement either for ease of transportation or to remove the cut-away for display purposes!

/media/tinymce_upload/0c08cd17f204f0b67a330d61f6f94c17.jpg

I'm sure they will be, just don't rush it. Pin drill the corners first, helps to keep the corners neat and stops your knife slipping too far. And then just numerous gentle cutting motions, even though Airfix plastic is soft don't try and cut through in 1 go, cos that will make a mess. Just take your time!

It was my first attempt at major surgery, so if I can do it I'm sure you can!!

I did post a note earlier but I think it got lost in the ether. I tholed my assize as a navigator on Shacks in the 50's and at that time the nav table stretched from the siggie's position as  far back as the main spar with four seats for the tac-nav, route-nav and two sonics plotters.

The inside was painted a fetching black and no sound-proofing of course, which meant a nice jolly to CMU in London once a year to get ears checked. The white with grey top colour scheme disappeared in the mid 50's as did the mid-upper turret.

I think we have ended up with an MR2 outside and AEW inside. I understand the predicament Airfix are in when there are major changes in aircraft fits and sadly WR963 is not a typical MR2 and I plan to finish mine as I remember as it was when I served on it.

Having said that, I think the photos show an outstanding model.

Yes NigelG with my earlier research and your first hand knowledge you seem to have button holed it!

The SPT WR963 Shack seems to have been caught between two world, with the exterior being returned to original MR.2 specification whilst the interior retained at least an essence of the AEW.2 and then enter Airfix. But I can live with it, but had I known earlier I may have done my cut-away on my AEW.2 kit?

And thank you for your comments on my build 

• 11 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I apologise for joining this discussion rather late, but feel I must put the record stright on the interior colour of the Shackleton MR2.

Unfortunately most colour photos of Shackleton interiors have been taken post 1965 and show the cream/brown interior colours. Many of these are of currently preserved airframes.

The Shackleton MR2 up to Phase II aircraft (together with the MR1 & T4) all had ALL BLACK interiors; this includedthe interior fuselarge,floor and all interior equipment. The wireless operator also sat facing forward imediatly behind the 1st pilots bulkhead.

The appearance of the MR3 introduced improved crew comfort, this included the introduction of the cream/brown/grey green interior, soundproofing, repositioning of the galley and the wireless operators position.

When the Shack MR2 underwent their Phase III updates, between 1963/65, the new improved MR3 interiors were introduced to improve MR2 crew comfort. Those MR2 PhaseIII airframes selected for AEW2 conversion continued to have the improved cream/brown /green scheme but with changes to avionic fit.

Unfortunately the preserved AEW2 at Coventry is an updated PhaseIII airframe, painted externally to represent an early MR2, which has offten been taken as the standard interior for all Shackletons.

If modelling crew, please also note that RAF flying overalls were light grey/blue untill  the early 70's.

I hope this helps to clarify the colour conundrum of Shackleton interiors.

This is one of those classic builds : great subject, great Modelling, and really useful information.

As for the latter, it’s clear that there is a difference between the interior of the MR2 [original] and the AEW2, and unfortuantely current kits of the Mark 2 seem to be based solely on the AEW2.

So, aside from experiences and memories that are invaluable, are there any photos that can be shared of actual MR2 interiors? I have tried looking but sadly, the majority that I have found are based on the AEW2.

• 5 weeks later...

At last, after more than a year, and with a little help from lockdown, I've managed to complete my MR2 showing a Ballykelly aircraft temporarily based in Majunga in the mid-to-late 60s. As you can see from the photo, my cutaway section doesn't look as neat in place as other's, but I'm glad I did it to reveal all the work that went in to the interior./media/tinymce_upload/fd32f83e68244c7f1e45e73c37decf8c.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/a478dbc1da667fb6c9d187abd42fd20d.jpg

• 2 weeks later...