Hornby Suburban Coaches

Castle-Man

I've been looking to put together a GWR suburban train.  All the Airfix coaches that I have seen online when you look closely appear to be brake coaches.

Were any ordinary suburban coaces made or did suburban trains only have the one coach? Suppose I could add an ordinary GWR coach but don't know if that would look correct.  What do the GWR experts think?

On the matter I have available a pannier tank and The County of Worcestershire.  As both were used at times for mixed freight would either of them be a suitabe match.  The county complete with tender seems a little large for non mainline duties or were it's caoach and goods duties all on mainline rather than suburban.  In which case I assume the standard coaches would be used with it.

If you search 'Coaches of the Great Western Railway' in Wikipedia, there's a lot of info there. Coaches aren't really my area sorry, but I'm sure there's someone else on the forum if you need more advice. I have 3 beautiful Collett express coaches that Hornby did last year and I'm very satisfied with them behind my Castle. These might be ok with your County for main line use. Regarding the pannier, have you considered autocoaches? There was a discussion on here a while ago about them, it might be worth a look. Depeneding on your time period of course. Hope this helps  😀

I had thought of an autocoach with the tank loco  In fact just mssed one on you know where.  Theye seem to go for a premium.  I do have 5 of the short 4 wheel coaches and also expecting a Airfix suburban line brake.  Also looking to get some main line coaches.  Quite like the Clerestory Roof ones. Hopefully the other link posted by howbiman and further research plus photos will help me get the right era's  and for a feel of how they actually linked locos together.  I suspect that ofen trains were a mixture of differnt rolling stocks. 

The only GWR suburban coaches available RTR is the ex-Airfix B set, which consists of a pair of composite brakes, or the autocoach, also ex-Airfix ( although there is a newer and more expensive one from another maker).  Depending on your time frame, older ex-main line coaches would filter down into surburban use as they were surplanted by newer examples.

The Airfix non-corridor coaches are based on the GWR 'B' set (diagrams E116/ E117/E129/E140/E145/E147) which operated as pairs of brake composites close coupled  for local services and branch lines.  So there were no matching non-brake carriages. The GWR did have longer sets with ordinary non-corridor carriages but these are not made in ready to run form.

The only RTR locomotives suitable for working Auto-trains are the 14XX 0-4-2T Loco (Ex 48XX) (Airfix / Mainline / Dapol / Hornby - Soon to be re-released into the Railroad line!, and the new version from Widnes...), and the 64XX 0-6-0PT Pannier Tank Locos (Blue Box Brigade).

At a push, the old Tri-ang Hornby / Hornby Railways 8750 (New Cab 57XX) COULD be used as a 64XX (Similar in looks!) with a 64XX Number! 😮

These two loco types were fitted to work with the Auto Coaches.

Any loco can actually pull an autocoach, but only "Auto Fitted" locos could propell an Auto coach, with the driver driving from the cab end of the coach.

So, the Hornby 2721 or the other GWR tank locos could be used with an autocoach, but would need to run around the coach on arrival at the end of the line....it is then just a Brake coach!

The earlier type was / is made RTR by Airfix / Mainline / Dapol / Hornby. I think it should be re-released to go with the Railraod version of the 14XX?

(An even earlier type was made as a white-metal kit by Ks a while agon now...)

The last type built (Hawksworth Design) is the one made by the Blue Box Brigade...

Not prototypical, but nice, are the old Grafar (Graham Farish) OO Gauge Suburban Coaches, that were made in a few GWR Liveries....These would need to be found "used".

As LC&DR has said above, the (Airfix / Mainline / Dapol / Hornby) "B" Set coaches were ONLY used in pairs, brake ends outermost, as they had non-standard buffers and couplings on the inner ends. (I believe they may only have had a single central buffer? OR very short buffers?)

/media/tinymce_upload/5d811bd9d11d8ee6cba195cd645cc296.PNG There are always the old (Triang originally) non-corridor clerestory coaches that features in the Lord of the Isles sets:

These are based (loosely) on actual GWR coaches.

The only RTR locomotives suitable for working Auto-trains are the 14XX 0-4-2T Loco (Ex 48XX) (Airfix / Mainline / Dapol / Hornby - Soon to be re-released into the Railroad line!, and the new version from Widnes...), and the 64XX 0-6-0PT Pannier Tank Locos (Blue Box Brigade).

At a push, the old Tri-ang Hornby / Hornby Railways 8750 (New Cab 57XX) COULD be used as a 64XX (Similar in looks!) with a 64XX Number! 😮

These two loco types were fitted to work with the Auto Coaches.

Any loco can actually pull an autocoach, but only "Auto Fitted" locos could propell an Auto coach, with the driver driving from the cab end of the coach.

So, the Hornby 2721 or the other GWR tank locos could be used with an autocoach, but would need to run around the coach on arrival at the end of the line....it is then just a Brake coach!

The earlier type was / is made RTR by Airfix / Mainline / Dapol / Hornby. I think it should be re-released to go with the Railraod version of the 14XX?

(An even earlier type was made as a white-metal kit by Ks a while agon now...)

The last type built (Hawksworth Design) is the one made by the Blue Box Brigade...

Not prototypical, but nice, are the old Grafar (Graham Farish) OO Gauge Suburban Coaches, that were made in a few GWR Liveries....These would need to be found "used".

As LC&DR has said above, the (Airfix / Mainline / Dapol / Hornby) "B" Set coaches were ONLY used in pairs, brake ends outermost, as they had non-standard buffers and couplings on the inner ends. (I believe they may only have had a single central buffer? OR very short buffers?)

Hi Sarah

Some of the 45xx/55xx were also auto fitted - I believe they were used on suburban trains in the Cardiff area

Archived