AEC Matador & 5.5"Gun 1:76 scale Airfix

S Palffy

Fine looking model worth the wai. Glad to see you managed to sort out the picture posting. Your model muggs well.

It might be an old model, but like several of the older armour models they seem to have weathered the aging to to current days quite well, it only begs the question what Airfix could do these days with their current technology and design.

Well done and keep them coming.

Remember we do this for fun                     John the Pom

A fantastic build - really nice weathering. It would be great to see some more new tools to support Airfix Battles (wargames rules by Modiphius licensing the Airfix name). In the meantime can we have some rereleases of the old WW2 vehicles to tide us over.

I always liked the 25 pdr kit but mmy son is collecting the British while I am doing the Germans (I need another  Pz IV, Pak 40 and some trucks and Hanomags plus some of the figure sets.

Nice build, but the roof should be black.

When painting the so called 'Mickey Mouse' scheme you MUST paint all surfaces that can be seen from directly above your model with the darker colour.  This includes the body and cab roofs, bonnet tops, front mudguards and any upward facing walkways and rear mudguards.  No exceptions, as painting instructions were subject to K.R.s as in any other order issued by authority.

• 2 months later...

aec matador a great kit so why is it not made anymore.could not a bigger kit of this vehicle be done like the revell army trucks.why has no one thought of a bedford rl plastic kit in large scale or an aec 0854 refueller of 1944

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

This kit seems to have stood the test of time very well.

forum_image_6152748febfec.thumb.png.8befede6833d346e18de96c2f3da4ccd.png

For quite a few years during the war and afterwards the Matador was used to tow the 3.7 inch Anti Aircraft gun. Seeing the German 88mm gun released in model form by yet another manufacturer recently made be think the British Army's 3.7in gun is another subject well overdue a decent 1/72 replica by Airfix. I understand its still in service in some parts of the world now. If the kit was towed by another suitable tractor the guns and vehicles could be interchangeable. Here's hoping.

• 8 months later...