Modelling Platforms from Scratch

Castle-Man

Thanks.  Particular though of balsa because I have some around from other modelling projects.  Actually a medium sized pack of assorted pieces can be surpsingly reasonable.  May go for card for some buildings.  Think platforms could do with something more substantial.

My platforms are balsa, too. 1/16 sheet for the deck, and square section framing underneath, to make the deck whatever height you want. (Extra bits of framing underneath for Scaledale resin buildings, as they are heavy!) You can make them anyh length or width you want, or even odd shapes - one of mine is a long triangle with a curved end! Grey paint looks like concrete, and the slightly rough surface looks right, too, not all flat and shiny!

If you want concrete flags, scribe the surface of the sheet with the BACK of a craft knife, to just bruise the wood, before painting.

I am building platforms at present but I am using a sandwich of 12mm plywood between fibreboard clad in plastic card (brick for the sides and plain for the top.  My platforms are curved and are carved from spare offcuts of wood  using a jigsaw, Surform and glasspaper, and screwed to the baseboard. This gives a very robust sub-structure but I would not recommend this method for everyone.

Hi Castle-Man

My platform is of more rustic apearance it is a piece of melomine cut to shape toped with painted sand paper, and edged with balsa wood and a bit of hobby wood bass wood I think? for the overhang at the top.

Looks the part for my railway very much a case of geting the right apearane for the style of railway being built.

regards John

Archived