New project for GoWest...

96RAF

funny you should see this as i did think some time ago about this engine and put some ideas down but it didnt get far found the old drawings here they are just the rough layout. your right about the whistle 

/media/tinymce_upload/e98f3e640caab1adedd8ec01848a7b51.jpg

hi Rob

the porting for the cylinder would be almost the same as the S69 but 90degs off the centre line of the S69 layout. Maybe one day as at this moment in time I have other fish to fry? What does that mean  I'm more a roast beef man

Ken

Chrissaf

yes again using the hornby main steam raising parts like the supper heater but it will need fitting back to front in the loco boiler as the cylinders on this engine are just in front of the cab.

i just notice the rob was on about connecting the 3 cylinders to the ports valve system but if you look at the drawing that it only runs on 2 cylinders not 3 one would be a dummy.

Ken

i just notice the rob was on about connecting the 3 cylinders to the ports valve system but if you look at the drawing that it only runs on 2 cylinders not 3 one would be a dummy.

That was the challenge Ken to port 3 cylinders and at right angles to normal.

Maybe a rotary valve with 2 ports from the steam and 6 ports to the cylinders or have I got that backwards, maybe 6 ports out  (2 for each cylinder) with the 2 delivery ports rotating. Just my rambling thoughts.

A doddle for a man of your skills.

I bet you already have a single cylinder stationary engine in the shed with the valve gear rigged vertically to copy from x 3.

Rob

Looking at the picture of that engine I marvel at the simplicity of the expanding square drive shafts to allow for the geared bogie to arc. Probably not very efficient but easy to make in 1:1 scale. A sliding cardan shaft would usually have splined inner and outer shafts at much greater manufacturing cost.

To make all 3 cylinders work on steam would mean changes to the gear system from the wheels to the valve rod.On a Hornby live steam engine the valve rod turns once to 4 revolutions of the main drivers so on this engine we would need 6 turns of the wheels to one turn of the valve rod not impossible but a lot of work as the crank shaft from the 3 to 2 cylinder engine is geared down see picture. So if this engine was to become a project then I would stick with the Hornby 2 cylinder idea and one dummy cylinder to save time and work.

/media/tinymce_upload/c98b96adb1b5a6444b3e7653a7ef5d5e.jpg

As for the drive shafts this idea of a square sleeve is used a lot I have a 1970 hedge trimmer that fits on my Fordson Major and the PTO is of the same type as you say no need for big machining jobs keep it simple. 

Hi Rob

What a lot of work just to turn some wheels I can't help thinking what was the designer trying to achive ? It's starting would be easy with 8 cylinders a lot of low down grunt from a stand still plus the exhaust once running must be a continuous blast and no I will not have a go at building it it's out side my skill level.

ken

Ken

The geared steam motor can be simple as seen in this picture of a twin cylinder one from a sentinel steam wagon.

The beauty is it allows you to mount the motor most anywhere that you can run a shaft or in this case a chain to the driver wheel-sets.

You probably know all about these anyhow but even so it's informational to others.

Rob

/media/tinymce_upload/5dc319c8536ea3cc8bd5171fdf3dec89.PNG

Hi Rog

Like the pictures, German engineering as always very involved and maybe over done but thats always the way through out history engineers have tried to push the realms of design and improvements to the limits 

i have built 2 Clayton steam wagons with a 2 cylinder sealed crank engines like the above these had  joy valve gear if I remember right which I have not run for years.

/media/tinymce_upload/bff8ca88ff5568ad2abe94777a494f8c.JPG

just had a thought looking at the layout of the engine in the drawing how about building a steam lorry using the hornby parts? 

No don't get me starter as I have too many jobs on the go right now and must not start a new project its al that Robs fault coming up with new ideas. still try to finish this radio control for live steam see picture above work coming on ok?

Makes my work bench look like a tip.

The picture is upside down on my pc but I can still do headstands.

I'm an ideas man Ken, relying on you to translate them into the metal. I dont have the kit (although I would love to buy it) or the skills (maybe I have some but well out of practice) to be able to do it myself. My apologies to your domestic management if this is getting you into bother with her.

I have a similar problem when a 'task' comes in as I will jump on it immediately and tend to be criticised for the model railway enthusiasm versus that for other mundane domestic tasks. 

Harping back to the 'beef' quote a page or so back I wouldn't mind seeing pictures of some of your other locos. We have seen the steam railcar and a couple of 00 locos running but not your other and bigger engines lurking in the shed.

There's an A4 running at the MNR this weekend - shame I get back to UK too late to see it passing my veranda.

Rob

hi rob

sorry about the picture being the wrong way up dont know how that happen. 

As for other engines this might interest you it is LBSC Tich a 3.5" gauge 0-4-0 tank and was the first engine that i ever built.

it look ok and runs fine or did some 35 years ago and was built when work and a young family took all the money and time so buying castings to build this engine came last in the money side of life. 

back then paying out for a lathe was out of the question so i made the lathe and then built the engine? thinking back its now that i think how did they do it all those years ago. 

/media/tinymce_upload/a9c9c96e9d1c63f8afe10d42a645008f.jpg

What came first the chicken or the egg? can you make a lathe with out having a lathe to make the parts for a lathe?

the top slide and cross slide of this lathe  was made from studding and steel plates and a 4 ins chuck mounted on some bearings and driven by a fan belt and a 12 volt motor off a lawn mower with some jumper leads on a car battery when the battery went flat it was time to go in doors all this and the end results are here.

/media/tinymce_upload/f49fb8e4b1742dac4dd5e7ee1fe04bf2.jpg

its looking a bit dusty and some of the brass can do with a polish but this engine is a good starting point in model engineering and teaches you the correct names of all the parts and what the different metals are and why they were used making for a close copy to what  you will find on a full size steam engine. 

/media/tinymce_upload/6f3067bb6db3a386291982f9fcdbcb00.jpg

even the controls have the same function as full size engines and you could add more parts like drain cocks and a steam brake if you wanted to.

so this engine was my first ever railway loco. i have now a better lathe or 2 and a nice little mill so most jobs can be under taken even if 00 gauge is a bit small for my machines.

Ken

Archived