The Modeller's Friend

Funny Putty

I think most of us have a packet of Bostik Prestick in our kit somewhere ( my wife calls it funny putty ) and it can be a real friend in need at times. Here's two uses I've found for it that might help other modeller's. the first is adding weight to a model with nose wheel. Fix the weight in place with this funny putty. I've tried to get an old kit of the He 219 Uhu to sit on is nose wheel but there's literally no room in the nose to add weight so had to cram the engine and fuselage with old solder and fix in place with Prestick. Yes it did finally sit correctly but only just.

/media/tinymce_upload/9d708553cbbc5f05444dde712205cade.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/c484123e8921c115401b9803296e47f4.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/ef01186f7567bbdba18d58cbbe08ee9d.jpgThe other use is often wanted some sort of stand to securely mount a model on so both hands are free. I do have a jig but it’s a bit of a hassle to set up and the model has to be secured with rubber bands. What I came up with is a plastic jar filled with water, ( Maybe wet sand would give more weight.) the lip firmly screwed on tight and the model mounted on top with the funny putty. I’ve found the model is held quite securely and can still be released fairly easily with care without breaking everything and the funny putty doesn’t pull the paint off. The Walrus in the photo has been mounted on that stand for several weeks waiting for me to getting around to work some more on it, and no harm has come to it.

/media/tinymce_upload/e6d2dfb653cc2bd579d6ab8c2752d73f.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/e3c415dc62ec0a6cbdee0a08368123ef.jpgHope this helps.

Remember we do this for fun                     John the Pom

Archived