Problem with ARC Pro and curved lane changers

Gene.Parmesan

Just to confirm... Option C as posted above works perfectly (tested today). With the modified 1/4 length straights fitted either side of a stock ARC PRO the system gives full SSD capability including curved lane changers and 2-into-1 circuits. Then, with the modded straights replaced with standard straights the system gives full analog capability (remembering the curved lane changers also need the standard digital to analog snips if retained in the circuit). Overall... the ARC PRO looks and performs as a truely great piece of kit - well worth the wait!!!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you must be working either for scaly or its competitor

anyone who reads your analog solution , if they know what the problem is , will know it does not work

but those who do not know the problem, will be fooled by your nonsense , and blame scaly for your false posts here

shill or saboteur, which are you ?

do believe the experienced users here , slot forum , and slot car illustrated that have unfortunately found it

have no curved changers here any more so arc pro is fine for me and the 99 % that you try to mislead

after reading your recent posts at slot forum with riko, have no doubt that you are a shill trying to move units of arc pro and this site obviously allows that

over there you actually discuss the design problems with the first version of arc pro and how to actually solve it

not your simple but not functional analog curved changer solution you spin here to the 99%

promoting is ok because the arc pro is a good product for most users

but to lie to us is unforgivable offense

FOR DIGITAL USE ONLY

GEM

No soldering required.

With stock Arc Pro running right to left , plug in a stock pitlane's single lane entry to a left side lane of powerbase.

Plug stock pitlane's single lane exit piece to same lane on right side of powerbase.

No track connected to other lane of powerbase.

Thats all it takes.

Aint that a gem ?

AGAIN , GEM IS FOR DIGITAL USE ONLY

FOR DIGITAL USE ONLY

GEM

No soldering required.

With stock Arc Pro running right to left , plug in a stock pitlane's single lane entry to a left side lane of powerbase.

Plug stock pitlane's single lane exit piece to same lane on right side of powerbase.

No track connected to other lane of powerbase.

Thats all it takes.

Aint that a gem ?

AGAIN , GEM IS FOR DIGITAL USE ONLY

Hello Gorp,

This solution is for solving which problem? Is it when a curve lane changer is used?

Thanks

I'll jump in and say you may not have understood what Gorp said.

By attaching the single lane of the pit  entry and exit pieces either side of the power base you only use one lane of the power base and therefore cannot create any problem of electrically connecting Lanes 1 and 2 on the power base. One power base lane is never used! - That as he has made very clear works for Digital only. Analogue would need both lanes of the powerbase so cannot be used at all in this arrangement

And yes it is a fix for digital circuits where the curved lane changer is used. In does in fact remove all the limitations that would normally apply to ARC Pro compared to the C7042 APB.

I believe this is a really helpful option - particularly for users who want to upgrade to ARC pro and who already have lots of (discontinued) curved lane changers (the subject of this thread) and also who don't want to get involed in any form of track modification. Also, I believe it will work best when a separate digital lap counter is used to separate the start/finish grid from the required 2-into-1 lane feature. With that caveat... all looks good!

On reviewing how the scope of discussion on this public open forum thread has widen from the technical questions, technical views and technical opinions discussed at the outset... I am caused to want to share some thoughts on how we can all become more ‘internet share aware’.

There is a lot of information on the internet on this subject for adults, teenagers and young children.

In my personal opinion, the NSPCC website has very helpful advice on this subject for parents. Please see link below...

https://www.nspcc.org.uk/preventing-abuse/keeping-children-safe/share-aware/

@DR_C: I don't dissagree that one can never be too careful about the Internet when it comes to minors. In fact I and some kids I had taken with me to a slto car race were excluded from championship scoring because I refused to let the minors' full names be published in a searchable format on the internet.

However I don't quite follow what the above post has to do with the discussions we are having here.

Since you have made many useful posts I know you are not a bot and I will let the post stand for the moment but I am a little puzzled...

GEM test

works for digital

used pitlane for single lane connections on lane 1 of arc pro and since have no curved changers,

placed 1 curved criss cross in circuit

no app test cause could not borrow the resident artist tablet but believe it will work too

switched to analog

works for 1 lane analog test track ,also runs right to left

again do not know if app will work but betting it will

if not and you want digital laps and analog times

stick a 4-6 car lap counter in for digital and scaly analog lap/timer in for analog  times

unexpected

default lane at pitlane is straight for digital and away for analog

impression

does not serve needs here

tore it down and rebuilt app free stock arc pro layout with straight dual changers only

and installed scaly analog lap/timer and off track powered 4-6 digital lap counter

happy again

Looks like we are down to three main options... so firmly back on track!

Photo below shows earlier my option C (together with a revved up and digitally converted mini...)

Admin edit: Image upload failed, please use one of the image uploaders (screenshot below) to add an image.

/media/tinymce_upload/be13bd9666c0a446e4b8c38f778ad5c9.jpg

The above photo is of a digitally converted Scalextric mini... imagine the co-driver’s calls as the mini passes the ARC PRO power base when driving on an Option C configured track (see all posts above)...

“dead spot ahead - step on gas”

”left 90 turn ahead - exit right lane”

So just to confirm... down on the track Option C works a treat... honestly!

So just to sum up then to clarify my so called ‘Option C’...

While the ARC PRO is absolutely awesome straight out of the box - with amazing functionality in both digital and analog configurations (simply by throwing a small switch on the side of the base), a few minor compatibility issues have been observed by the early adopters. Not much of a problem... and there is a range of solutions as per this thread.

The observed issue is that old curved lane changers, some digital counters and any 2-into-1 chicaine features (if they cause primary lanes1 and 2 to become electrically connected)... result in the current production version of the ARC PRO (2017) going into SAFE mode. The simple answer is to remove these track components... and then to get on enjoying the new power base in both digital and analog modes.

The reason for the above issue appears to stem from a design trade-off which causes a reversal of the signal polarities (in digital mode) for lanes 1 and 2 with respect to each other. This is of no consequence in digital mode unless the two lanes become ‘bridged‘ i.e. electrically interconnected. There is no issue whatsover in analog mode where (of course) the cars in both lanes move in the same direction as both expected and required!

But... if you do want to keep those old (disconinued) curved changers on track (as I do) then there are three options to consider. All of these are now proven effective.

Option A: modify the track wiring inside the ARC PRO (not recommended likely to void warranty).

Option B: modify all the above track parts, for example modifying each curved lane changer as described by blagard-01 in the link shared in an earlier post on this thread.

Option C: modify two 1/4 length straights by creating a 10mm dead spot in one of the lanes then cross wire underneath.

======= lane1

===X=== lane 2

X marks location of the dead spot and also shows the required cross-wiring (for underneath).

using Option C in practice..

1/ for absolute full digital compatibility (I believe) with all SSD track parts past and present ... insert these modified track parts on both sides of the ARC PRO. Then enjoy digital mode!

2/ for full analog compatibility... simply replace the modified 1/4 straights with standard ones... then enjoy analog mode!

QED

tired of explaining why your op C2 explanation will not work , as it appears obviously that you have been told it would by someone who just wanted to sell arc pro, warts and all

so now suggesting you ask Riko to explain it to you

please try to pay attention

It seems to me C would work. although Dr_C explanation could be clearer so a sketch below shows what he is saying. Use modified 1/4 ers for Digital and  unmodified for Analogue. However please note Analogue still requires all other limitations to apply.

/media/tinymce_upload/53c8388cb67347d7e0e090fdbf332cbf.jpg

Thanks both - yes been a bit busy on several fronts... just learned how to post photos (great progress for a newbie like me). I’ll put up another photo and then another diagram (big thanks blagard-01 for helping with this) and then ...  (hopefully) that will be option C fully covered. My 1/4 length modified track parts are now ready for endurance testing over the festive season!!! Thanks to those who have formed a critical review panel for this option... I know it has absorbed quite a bit of your time - thank you!

And, just added jumpers to implement Options B and C using a soldering iron but without risk of melting the plastic track (idea copied directly from Scalextric actually so not new at all) ... more of a simple and hopefully useful tip... :-)

just using scaly jumpers eliminates the c soldering

Blagard

You really need to get your curve changer solution out there before it gets buried under all these distractions.

Slot car illustrated will protect it and slot forum leaders are around.

Glad and gem are saved there too.

gorp