ARC Pro and Analogue Cars

Evzone

Got my set today..... early days but I think I’m liking it, apart from having difiiculty running analogue cars on it with the device selected to air.  As I said early days, but its given me a headache so I’ve given it a chequred flag for the night! 

What difficulty running analogue cars?

Well, I set the consol to air, and collaborated cars and still couldn’t get them to work.  Eventually, one car did work, How i dont know, shifted the crossovers tracks to  run straight  and off it went. Apart from that one instance not one out of 4 analogun cars worked.

As an aside:

1. I followed the track plans with the full extension set minus the silly jump, and after an hour or so, disregarded the instructions as the bend after the arc base wouldn’t flattenand did my own thing!

2. One of the cars has already got a broken rear spoiler, even though I’ve been mega gentle.

3. Initially pace car mode was excellent, regulating speed and keeping the car on track.  Now I can’t keep any of the 4 car supplied to stay on in one piece.  

Back to it tomorrow to iron out the issues........ ho hum

if parts break off toys it is because you broke them not scaly

spoilers are removed here

switching from digital to analog my way

turn off powerbase 

turn off app and controllers

switch from digital to analog

turn on powerbase and controllers

at this point analog should function now

to open changers run digital toys in reverse around track lanes

now turn on app if you require it

without using app for analog

if one car runs on both lanes and another does not on either lane

problem is not arc pro but the car

first check the 2 piece guy for proper installation and the braids for proper position to make contact with the rails

if 1 lane does not function with all cars check track assembly for proper connection

The arc pro just doesn't work well for analog cars..I can't get them to stop the high pitched humming when they move..it hurts my ears. I have tried everything I know..I live in the usa. Also..the analog cars do not register laps when passing by the power base. I think I am going to return the arc pro back to hornby and reinstall my arc one which worked great.

from what have read the theory is the regulated dc that is running arc pro affects different kinds of motors differently and causes the humming

my scaly analog are ok but the strombeckers sing - can live with it here since digital is primary use

but wonder if glad analog would quiet them since is run under digital power  - will have to test that sometime

cars must have black guides to be counted by arc pro lapcounter

with powerbase in front of you and powerbase track behind,  car must pass right to left to be counted

since running digital and analog without app,  just use standard discontinued scaly analog lap counter here - got off ebay - guide color does not matter but believe direction , right to left does

to clear digital lane changers on analog just run digital toy around couple times in opposite direction on both analog lanes

I just reinstalled my old Arc-One on my custom track. Much better...simply put, DO NOT get the Arc-Pro if you run analog cars, especially vintage ones. I love Scalextric..but the Arc-Pro is useless for me. Analog fans stay away from this unit! I also advise Hornby to put a warning on the box that states this power base is not for analog cars.

Begs the question what advantage you see in using ARC ONE over ARC AIR?

ARC AIR is the ultimate in analog racing and ARC PRO includes ARC AIR plus if you desire digital lane changing and a few features.

I have both ARC ONE and ARC AIR and I find ARC AIR vadstly superior and well worth the money,

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Andy...

I got the arc-pro because it was supposed to be the latest and greatest. I have not tested an arc-air but now I am hesitant to do so. As I have said before, the Arc-pro is not compatible at all with analog and vintage cars...all my cars have a high pitched hum which is intolerable (I gave over 100 cars..all scalextric). The cars also do not register laps consistently (they all have black ghides) and lastly the contrillers are "twitchy".

also..I have hooked up my old arc-one back to my track..works flawlessly..love it. Plus it has great response time between the controllers and cars and I can easily adjust the speed for the little ones.  No humming and keeps track of laps acuraltely. Only negative is they are wired To base. This is an awesome product!! Especially for the collector.

I am hoping Hornby AMerica does the right thing And credit my card..as I have returned the arc-pro over 4 weeks ago. Still have seen no credit on my card..:(

I am very hesitant to try the Arc-air. Don't want to go thru the same nightmare as I did with the arc-pro.

cheers,

Scaly.

Hi there, I have an ARC AIR and an ARC PRO. From my investigations, the ARC AIR uses a transistor as a simple analog device hence works extremely well with both old and new analog cars as well as digital cars when running in analog mode. Meanwhile the ARC PRO uses a technique known as pulse width modulation (PWM) for its analog mode. This varies the time duration of full voltage pulses in order to adjust power to the motor. There are good reasons for using this technique as the same output circuits can be used for both digital and analog. This works very well in most cases. So basically... the two bases use completely different techiques to achieve analog control.

My suggestion would be to give the ARC AIR a chance... I just tried mine with a 1960’s DB4 and all seemed good ... except for the excessive tyre skid because I was using the wrong type of track... and, of course, the white 1960’s guide pins don’t trigger the lap sensors...

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick update...

I want to say a special thankyou to the good folks at scalextric for trying to help me with the arc-pro. Also, they refunded my money promptly when I returned the arc-pro.

I am still using my arc-one...absolutely love it..great product. Best feature is the ability to control the speed with the controllers for kids. Also, its very simple to use.

Thanks,too, for everyone here for giving me advise and help.

Cheers,

Scaley.

• 1 year later...

I've got a similar issue.  I have a mixture of analogue and digtial cars and everyting works fine with Arc Pro in digital mode but I can only get the outside (red controller) lane, nearest the power base, to work to in analogue mode. I've tried all the instructions here, everything in the user guide, power transformer via either input socket, unpairing and pairing controllers etc but nothing works. All cars 'jolt' a bit when I pair the (blue) controller with the inside lane which suggests there is power intially but nothing works. Switch back to didigtal and everything is fine for digital cars.

Seems to me that I might have a dead lane in analaogue? I had a lane switching section which I've swapped out for straight track so there can be no issues with known digitial lane change problems but it makes no difference.

Any ideas?

Hi Haybaler - welcome to the forum.

For analogue, you need one controller paired with red and another paired with green. Those are the only two pairings that will work with analogue mode - green with the inside lane and red with the outside. Sounds like you did that, but it’s worth checking again.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Haybaler - welcome to the forum.

For analogue, you need one controller paired with red and another paired with green. Those are the only two pairings that will work with analogue mode - green with the inside lane and red with the outside. Sounds like you did that, but it’s worth checking again.

Thanks for the advice Woodcote. That's actually sorted it so I'm very happy!

Nowhere was I able to find any notification that you need to have red and green lanes paired for analogue to work (it doesn't say that in the instruction book!) but as the led's are adjacent to each other on the ARC Pro base I guess that makes sense if you imagine the other led's don't exist for analogue mode.

I think it was having a 'blue' controller that threw me and I just hadn't thought about pairing it to a differnt colour.

Thanks again!