1:72nd Scale De Havilland Mosquito Mk FB.VI

T2B

@T2B - This isn't a criticism, but a lot of the photos of 21 Sqdn RAF, 464 RAAF and 487 RNZAF machines come from around "Operation Jericho" (the Amiens Prison raid") when their FBVIs most certainly did all have underwing bomb racks and not rocket rails.

The "safest bet" for an FBVI with rocket rails is to model one from a Coastal Command squadron.

As I mentioned in an earlier post (top of page 2) this kit was completed as the original 1958 Series 2 Mosquito EG - T but I used the later 1972 Series 3 kit as it is clearly the better moulding. The original kit only came with the 8 x 3"RP wing armament and that is how my build was modelled.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@T2B @JS

HU110 undersides.

Natural Wood??

Well, that's what Humbrol's colour convertion chart shows the (correct based on lots of research) Tamiya code as converting to.

I think someone got it wrong! I have the Warpaint book on the Mosquito and the undersurfaces were MSG, Night, PRBlue or yellow. Maybe they were natural wood before they were painted.

More like "everyone except Warpaint got it wrong" (several books and kit makers included) or else Warpaint got it wrong/ignored Banff Sw machines. Do they actually show a Banff SW machine? (Aside from the unusual camo, also normally has black codes with a yellow outline)

Mosquito FB.Mk.VI, RS625/NE-D, No. 143 Squadron, Banff, April 1945. Extra Dark Sea Grey upper surfaces and Sky undersides. Engine inspection panels and slipper tanks aluminium or light grey. Codes in Night outlined in Yellow. Serials in Night over original camouflage (Medium Sea Grey starboard, Dark Green port). C Type roundels above wings, yellow/light grey spinners.

I'm no expert nor do I profess to be so I may be contradicted but I tend to agree with you Ratch as I've never seen a Mossie , or any other aircraft for that matter since the days of WW1 bi-planes being painted in natural wood camo. Or model instructions suggesting such a scheme.

Archived