Is the new E Type DPP ready?

roy_fitzsimmonds

Hi Roy_fitzsimmonds,

I bought one of the new Scalextric e-types with a plan to convert to digital. They are NOT digital plug ready (i.e non-DPR) and the drive configuration places the motor up front. However it is perfectly feesible to convert to digital using the C7005 digital upgrade chip but this does require a basic level of soldering skill. Also, the motor is quite close to the guide blade so some precision drilling is required to position the infra red (IR) light emitting diode in-between. I can take some photos as I carry out the mod then share on this thread if that would be helpful. If you want me to do this please let me know...

C

Many thanks for the reply, and thanks for the offer of pics/info.

However, I was contemplating buying the double car special E Type set and I don't want to mess it about.There were reasons no doubt why they designed to model as they have, but it cuts me out of the buyers.I don't want to have to faff about fiddling with a model to get it to work.

A real shame as the two cars on my 'most wanted' list are the E Type and D Type Jaguars.

Sadly, I can run neither so won't be buying them.

None of the front-engined classics from Scalextric are Digital Plug Ready because the motor is positioned where the digital plug would normally go. The plug (standard or F1) won't fit behind the motor either because it would foul the drive shaft to the rear axle.

However, as Dr_C pointed out, the C7005 retro-fit chip will convert non-DPR cars like the E-Type and D-Type Jags to digital. If you're not confident enough to do the simple soldering job, then it's not difficult to find someone to do it for you. Some Scalextric stockists (see link at top of the page) will chip a car for you for a modest additional cost. That's particularly common for retailers who also deal with model railways.

There are also other businesses that offer the service (an internet search throws up a few) or if you take the car, chip and instructions to a local trader who does electronic soldering (eg. computer/laptop repair shop) - they'll most likely do a fantastic job for you.

There's no need to deprive yourselves of some classic Jaguar digital action 😀

Totally agree with Woodcote... would be sad to miss out on the D-type and the new E-type Experiences... both models bring some of the fun and beauty of the real machines into the livingroom racetrack - happiness level is probably less than 1/32nd of the enjoyment of driving the real machines... but still a huge lot of fun!

I’ll post the photos for the D-type and E-type digital mods - but in practice both are identical to implement.

And... did I mention how cool they look on the track :-)

• 3 years later...
Hi Roy_fitzsimmonds,

I bought one of the new Scalextric e-types with a plan to convert to digital. They are NOT digital plug ready (i.e non-DPR) and the drive configuration places the motor up front. However it is perfectly feesible to convert to digital using the C7005 digital upgrade chip but this does require a basic level of soldering skill. Also, the motor is quite close to the guide blade so some precision drilling is required to position the infra red (IR) light emitting diode in-between. I can take some photos as I carry out the mod then share on this thread if that would be helpful. If you want me to do this please let me know...

C

I don’t suppose you have those pics of your digital conversion of an e type!! I would love to be able to race the e types I have against each other at the same time!! Any info where there is a ‘how to’ article or any info at all gratefully recieved!!