Pendolino lights not working

gorny

When you set the direction in the Elite I think without checking the manual all you are doing is changing the logic within the controller to/from the UK convention that a train going forwards is left arrow on screen and the loco moves from right to left, same as it would approach most through station platforms.

Changing CV29 switches the motor direction but also takes the lighting logic with it.

CV19 is where consist logic is lodged. It is worth pulling up NMRA DCC pages and having a read at what these CVs controller and how they are altered. Too large a subject to cover in a thread. You could also look at DCC Concepts DCC pages as they used to have a good write-up about these things as well.

Rob

Hi Rob and Alan 

thanks very much Rob I was just wondering if the manufacturers set up the wiring for the 2 cars for to run in tandum with both being in a set and one going forward and then the other in reverse 

also I have just realised that the 2 cars that Alan has is equivalent to the 2 front cars 

and Alan was the cars purchased separately or in a set ? and if separately then I’m afraid that the only way for to get them to run with the lights the right way is the way Chris and Rob has advised by swapping the wires 

Hedley

And if physically reversing the White and Yellow wiring for the Lights, then one might as well go the whole hog and reverse the Orange and Grey wires for the motor. That way, all the CVs can stay as per a normal front facing power car, and the rear power car should just do everything in reverse with the decoder plugged in the CORRECT way round.

Hi guys Yes the 2nd power car is basically a front car which was bought separate as the hornby set consists of one power car, one dummy car and 2 coaches. It's looking like either I run it in a consist with no lights,or run it with lights with the power car and dummy unit or rearrange the wiring to get both power cars to work. Many thanks to ALL the advice from everybody. Alan

Hi Chris 

I was just thinking that myself but I didn’t really want to mention it just in case that I was wrong as well but also I had thought that if you had put 2 locos on a track and with a controller showing to the left that both would go to the left no matter which way around they were on the track ? but I know that with a consist in RM and also having the Pro Pack that you can set it for a loco to go in the reverse direction and also changing the values in CV29 for reversing the loco as well 

also that’s why I couldn’t understand why the lights would not work in either direction showing forward or reverse when it was running 

Hedley

I had thought that if you had put 2 locos on a track and with a controller showing to the left that both would go to the left no matter which way around they were on the track ?

I think that is the case with Analogue DC (maybe). But with DCC, the digital packet just says "go forward" or "go backward" and this applies to which ever way the front of the loco is facing. The decoder has no knowledge of which way the loco is facing on the track.

Archived