Coronation Class

Great to see a new King George V being released as the last version of this was before we got the great level of detail (spring buffers etc) and loco drive that we have now, but why re release Duchess of Hamilton again - I just bought the last release..... and why re-release Queen Elizabeth in blue when its not that long since the last release, would it not have been better and sold more if Queen Mary had been the one released in blue as again this was last released years ago when it was tender drive and low detail standards compared to today.

I suppose there are always 'popular classes' of locomotives, and within them, popular specific locomotives.

Also, and not just a 'get rich quick' ploy by Hornby, there are collectors / enthusiasts who always want the latest / highest detail edition of their favourite locomotive.

When a new rejig comes out, there's always an additional detail / refinement / drive aspect which will have developed on the previous edition, making it more desirable than the previous one.

Al.

Hi Rob

The unpainted one appears to be a De-streamlined loco at the end of its life (including Co Edinburgh) with the exception of 46242 which had the curved footplate end fitted during the repairs after the Harrow accident.

However the tender looks as though it could be the standard Stanier tender, rather than that fitted to the Pacifics, Could be camera angle, you can only be sure with a photo taken from about 45 degrees and showing sides and back.

I hope this helps. I'm not an LMS expert so don't be surprised if Fazy comes on to put me right!!      😀

It does need a bit (quite a lot) of fettling but as its coming completely to bits for the repaint that won’t be a problem. Insulated drawbar appears to be the cable grip from a 13-amp plug.

Model is in UK at present so unable to provide any other angled pictures.

Rob

/media/tinymce_upload/381a53b65d2fd76f52041655e8250e0c.JPG

Hi Rob

The photo from above appears to solve the ? about the tender - pretty certain it is the Coronation type. It's even got the coal pusher.

Actually, saying 'the Coronation type' is a bit of a simplification  -  there were 4 types although you need expert knowledge to tell them apart. Photos of the types, and their allocation, can be found in Profiles of the Duchesses by David Jenkinson (I beleive he was a 'crab' as well) who was to the LMS what LC&DR and Caiptean are to the Southern

Over the next few days I'll try to send the relevant pages to you. If you haven't got them by the end of the comimg weekend please remind me (I mean that)

😉

Archived