70s Box style help

jaguar_king

Hi I'm extending my collection of Dublo to include some 70s products too, I'd like some help with knowledge of style description, date or period of the box styles in the attached photo, Ideally I'd like to get the catalogue for the right year(s) and collect the locos, Ideally MB for that period.....

/media/tinymce_upload/5f784e9b2841cd219624c13c3e5ea43e.JPGAdvice appreciated 

Andy 

Hi Jaguar-King,Welcome to the forum.If you look in www.Hornbyguide.com.Filter to view A3 in types of loco section, it will then show box type and dates they were produced.Also shows different logos and dates.For a more comprehensive list of Hornby locomotives I use Ramsey Guide, unfortunately only issued ever 2 or 3 years.The books are quite exspensive thougth.

Hi Jaguar-King,Welcome to the forum.If you look in www.Hornbyguide.com.Filter to view A3 in types of loco section, it will then show box type and dates they were produced.Also shows different logos and dates.For a more comprehensive list of Hornby locomotives I use Ramsey Guide, unfortunately only issued ever 2 or 3 years.The books are quite exspensive thougth.

Thanks, couldn’t work out the A3 ref but I got to a “years” tab that described box style ( probably same place!!) anyhow I’m looking at 1973 so thank you 

For the best 'take' on the 1970s, try and find a copy of Pat Hammond's 'The Story Of Rovex' Volume 3: Hornby Ralways...details...

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/9781904562009/Tri-Ang-Story-Rovex-1972-1996-Hornby-1904562000/plp

You could try your local library, and the inter library lending service?

In this, the final volume in the series, New Cavendish traces the product, now called Hornby Railways, under DCM ownership from 1972 until their collapse in the early 1980s. It takes the reader through the highly productive years of the 1980s and 1990s to the inevitable outsourcing in the Far East. Over 600 locomotive variations were produced during this time as well as numerous coaches, wagons, buildings, etc., all of which are illustrated in this book. The final chapter includes Thomas the Tank Engine, Hornby Minitrix and many others products that were produced or sold alongside Hornby Railways. The first two books in this Rovex story trilogy are Tri-Ang Railways Volume 1 which covers the story from 1950 to 1965, and Tri-Ang Hornby Volume 2, 1965 to 1971. This last book takes the story from 1972 until 1996.

• 1 month later...

Box in picture is 1973 pattern, plastic liner in box is early 1973. R.855.

There were 5 versions during the time period you mention, a limited LNER edition not in the catalouge in 1973 with white splasher linning and the normal sound fitted version, BR single chimney in BR Green and non corridor tender, BR Green with double chimney and non corridor tender(only in 1968 catalouge photo shoot picture but odd ones came out of the factory), also a few tenders with corridors in BR Green were issued by mistake. Box would be different in 1968-1972. Loco R.850 was first issued in BR Green in 1968, LNER Green in 1969 as R.855

Archived