Have you heard of this conversion?

GNR-Gordon-4, 

The clockwork Thomas models are relatively cheap because they are are a bit more toy-like than the electric Thomas models. A clue that suggests the clockwork Thomas locomotives are more toy-like is that they come in a blister pack when sold individually, unlike the electric Thomas locomotives that come in a sealed cardboard box with a coating of polystyrene or on extra layer of plastic on the inside to protect the model from damage. 

GNR-Gordon-4,

I personally think Hornby needed to re-design their Emily, Bill and Ben, and Toby models to make them more television accurate. For instance, the R9046 Toby can have trouble fitting through the doors of some engine sheds due to it being a tall model, which might affect television accuracy if you wanted to do a scene with Toby in an engine shed. The R9047 Bill and the R9048 Ben are ridiculously large, which again hinders television accuracy because they tower over other locomotives like Percy, who were indeed larger than Bill and Ben in the television series. 

As for the R9231 Emily...all I can say is that it looks absolutely nothing like how she did in the television series. Emily was originally based on a Stirling 'single' 4-2-2, but the R9231 Emily model seems to resemble a repaint of the Dean Single 4-2-2 "Lorna Doone". 

I don't think the Hornby Toby will fit through any tunel or shed. Too tall, sadly. Toby only just fits height wise, into the box. I don't understand how Hornby got the tooling for Toby so badly wrong. He is 100% not OO Gauge, height wise.

Bill and Ben are also too wide, but I prefer their width over Toby's height. Again, width wise, they are not OO Gauge.

Emily is 100% gauge, but Hornby don't have the correct tooling for her, so they used what they have got. Hornby did the same with Edward.

GNR-Gordon-4

WTD, Hornby have to get what ever they want to release, approved by the Thomas & Friends owner’s. From what I’ve heard, they are not keen on The Railway Series only characters being released. As with all current Thomas merchandise ranges, it’s going all CGI series style. As with the current generation Hornby models, the faces are CGI like.

GNR-Gordon-4

Walkingthedog, 

If I remember rightly, one of the earlier clockwork Thomas sets included a Thomas with the face that he had in the books, rather than the face he had in the television series. I think that's as far as it goes for them looking how they did in The Railway Series, because like you said a lot of the newer trains didn't exist in the books, and I suppose Hornby and the owners of Thomas and Friends wanted the models to conform to today's generation. 

Trainboy and company, you are dead right. The owners want official Thomas merchandise to be based off the current day CGI, hence why the current Hornby models have lighter paint colours and CGI faces.

What also surprised me is that Hornby did not add the picture logos, to the Tidmouth Milk, Sodor Fuel and Oil Tanker’s in the R9299 Tanker Triple pack, as the logos changed to picture form in the full CGI series that first launched with Hero of the Rails, back in 2009. I would have liked to have some worded and picture logos on the tankers, but oh well.

GNR-Gordon-4

Just thought of a story-line

Thomas goes down his branch line, derails and plunges off the viaduct. When the derailment team turn up they find Thomas is badly damaged and couldn't be got at for recovery. Therefore he had to be cut-up on site (good, eh?)

At last we find out what's inside him!!!          😆

Archived