Ease of downloading model pictures

Grogman40

• 9 months later...

Hi. I’m having trouble uploading photos of my latest build but keep getting the message “the file type you are attempting to upload is not allowed “ I’m using my iPhone when trying, do l need to log on and try using a pc ? Any help would be appreciated as I’m not very tech savvy.

cheers, Stuart.

Hi. I’m having trouble uploading photos of my latest build but keep getting the message “the file type you are attempting to upload is not allowed “ I’m using my iPhone when trying, do l need to log on and try using a pc ? Any help would be appreciated as I’m not very tech savvy.

cheers, Stuart.

Look mate, they're only golden, not crystal. The file type is the last few characters of the full file name, such as "my_pic.jpg" would be a jpeg, "my_pic.tif" would be a tiff...

The likely meaning of the error message is that Airfix do not accept the format(s) that iPhones generate.

I always find it far easier to transfer pictures to my laptop first before uploading them. I've tried to upload pictures from my phone a couple of times without success. I think it's usually a good idea to backup your pictures anyway. There's always a chance the phone will be lost or just start playing up, both of which has happened to me, with a consequent loss of files. It always seems to happen when you least expect it!

Grogman40, Use the /media/tinymce_upload/f53b40735df8b306f21c93bbc8c3edeb.gif icon above the 'Reply' text box to import pictures to the forum.

The iPhone default image format is not compatible with the forum software. You can change the iPhone format:

1. Open the “Settings” app on the iPhone and go to “Camera”
  2. Choose “Formats” and select “Most Compatible” to shoot photos in JPEG format on iPhone camera.
  3. Exit out of Settings.

Alternatively download the images to a PC/laptop and use imaging software to 'save as' a compatible format before posting on the forum.

The iPhone default image format is not compatible with the forum software. You can change the iPhone format:

1. Open the “Settings” app on the iPhone and go to “Camera”
  2. Choose “Formats” and select “Most Compatible” to shoot photos in JPEG format on iPhone camera.
  3. Exit out of Settings.

Alternatively download the images to a PC/laptop and use imaging software to 'save as' a compatible format before posting on the forum.

Cheers Paul. I thought that might be the case, but don't know either:-

1. What the default format of an iPhone is.
  2. Which formats Airfix accept.

• 1 month later...

/media/tinymce_upload/0109286d57fb33ebcc955be4118dae24.JPG

Not sure if this is still of interest.

However, I had the same problem with Apple equipment. I solved it by accident.  By saving a picture [above from a web page] into Word, it was a] saved as a  jpeg, and b] accessible  to find on the Airfix Forum via ‘select image .... browse files’. Of course, you would need to download Word, Excel, etc onto the iPad in order to do this, and it also assumes you have an iPad.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had partial success by posting my pictures on facebook, and then calling them up, right click, copy image address, then paste them into whatever forum you wish. For some reason some of them disappear after a few weeks or months, so I check back and repeat the process if necessary. Let's try one.

14138168_10154747142528132_6101820967123

• 2 months later...

Has anyone had any problems uploading images lately? The few I've tried lately keep saying image too large in php format? I don't use that format and I'm using the same camera and phone I've used for years without any problems?

I have managed to edit and reduce the size so the images load, but they haven't appeared on the forum! Last set I tried was a week ago.

Come on Airfix WHAT IS THE ISSUE?? 

Yeah I know you can only moderate your own images Ratch. 

But it was a double whinge/query really. Yes having trouble up loading with image size when I never used to, and even when I did manage to get some uploaded they haven't appeared on the forum. And I think I have given the moderator sufficient time to get over the holiday and busy period and catch up to now think there are other problems. 

The previous forum Admin has moved onto pastures anew and nobody seems to have been appointed to take up the role. There may be an issue with the upload plugin, but until the appropriate bod is given access to the forum control panel there's nothing anybody can do. 

• 4 weeks later...

I think it might be worth keeping in mind that Admin, and Community Moderators (who have nothing to do with the running of the site per se), do so when they are able and are not paid (or in Airfix's case, not paid extra). I know it can be frustrating, especially in today's world when everything is pretty much instant - I would love to be able to see pictures of builds sooner, but, I can only echo other comments and say we appreciate patience when waiting for images to be approved.