2018 - What a year!

JeremiahBunyan

In a lot of ways it been a fair year some nice new models at prices that for the average person is becoming unaffordable.

In some cases no joined up thinking or long term planning, eg release a class 50 in NSE livery with no rolling stock in matching livery. A little long term planning would see batches of MK2 coaches in NSE livery made for several years with a different loco type done each year.

Same for streamline coronation in blue and silver where are the matching coaches may be with the addition of Restaurant car in both blue and silver, red and gold and LMS Maroon. (nothing fancy railroad will do)

I have some understanding the difficulties dealing with manufacturers half way around the world away but its the people in head office who should be looking at thing in the round as well as the microscope. eg introducing a new loco ! What was it used for? What type of rolling stock was around when it was in use real life? What compatable rolling stock does Hornby make or made to go with it?  (On web site give folks ideas on rolling stock use and available)

What was it used for? What type of rolling stock was around when it was in use real life? What compatable rolling stock does Hornby make or made to go with it?  (On web site give folks ideas on rolling stock use and available)

@Tony57 - just to pick up on your last point - there is this already on the site - under Help & Advice / What works with what.  It's not very well promoted - would be better if there was a link, or summary on each locomotive product page, so it's more visible.

However, I totally agree with your point about matching rolling stock - I remember getting the Javelin set, on sale the year after Hornby stopped producing the additional coach!  This approach also put me off buying the 225 Virgin Trains pack, as there were no Mk4 coaches to match.  

It definately needs more joined up and forward thinking!

Jeremiah, hi, not sure I agree about title of your post. I must admit to a lack of excitement, by this years releases, and doubt I am alone.Let us hope for more, bigger and better in 2019.

Well I beg to differ, firstly I don't work with Hornby (I wish I did), so therefore I do decide on the blog names. It's actually the name of the blog. Secondly it's all down to individual opinions. Just because Hornby didn't have a big fat fancy range it doesn't mean that they had a bad year. Infact this was one sensible year for Hornby. Hornby's year has still been exciting with their choice of newly tooled models.

So I see no issue with the name they chose.

You should hopefully be surprised and happy with what's in store for 2019.

Needs changing then, as I remember when everything was announced the response then was underwhelming  , and  we do need summat. Good for 2019, I think.

As I said...just beause the response online was underwhelming that doesn't mean they had a bad year. Have you read the blog?? Hornby have had a fairly good year. I think they have a better understanding of their performance and are etitled to name their blogs accordingly.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived